• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Just back from the Stadium of Light / Thoughts on the game post Sunderland

paxtonwolf

John White
What an excellent performance.........from the travelling army of Spurs fans. Simply awesome. Such a shame the team could not quite match the support.

I haven't read through the OMT yet, but I would assume the general concensus must be, that it 2pts utterly and completely thrown down the pan.
That match was there for the taking and we didnt. Personally I would say Lamela hitting the bar was the turning point, so unlucky, but I am so frustrated at watching that lanky jubitt Adebayor keep falling over the ball in the box, it drives me mad.

Once again though, excellent noise from the Yid army, in fine voice today and hardly died down throughout the 90mins. Didnt make it last season, so that's the first time we have been up in the gods at SOL (4 rows from the back), still a decent view though.

Great to see so many Spurs fans at Wetherby services on the way back too

Re: Just back from the Stadium of Light

No problem, love the away days just as match as the trips down to the Lane. Sunderland, despite the distance is one of our favourites.
I think the Park and ride option they offer is superb, and is a credit to the club. Sharing a bus with their fans has never been a problem, think more clubs should do it

No problem, love the away days just as match as the trips down to the Lane. Sunderland, despite the distance is one of our favourites.
I think the Park and ride option they offer is superb, and is a credit to the club. Sharing a bus with their fans has never been a problem, think more clubs should do it

I've only managed a few away games and that was in the dim and distant past - Villa Park for the FA Cup semi Final in '81 and Swansea when they were at The Vetch come to mind. I can suggest not eating the first burgers served from any burger cart outside Villa Park before the gates open.

I've only managed a few away games and that was in the dim and distant past - Villa Park for the FA Cup semi Final in '81 and Swansea when they were at The Vetch come to mind. I can suggest not eating the first burgers served from any burger cart outside Villa Park before the gates open.

Nice tip, but tbh never tend to eat food from the vans outside the grounds, we do Burger Kings at the services on the way.

That Semi at Villa, I remember wanting to go that and as naive teen thinking it would be no problem getting a ticket even though I had not to a match that season.

That was a masterclass in how not to win a game you totally dominate. Sunderland did well to score twice as many goals as they had shots on goal.

Never mind, the performance was good and the pressing style worked well - defence is nervous (albeit patched up!) and attack needs to be clinical, very close to making it an easy victory. Fine margins.

Tough after internationals, too. You can see that some players are knackered after long trips. Bony was on the bench for Swansea after coming back from Cameroon on Friday and Adebayor had to go to Togo and back.

That was a masterclass in how not to win a game you totally dominate. Sunderland did well to score twice as many goals as they had shots on goal.

Never mind, the performance was good and the pressing style worked well - defence is nervous (albeit patched up!) and attack needs to be clinical, very close to making it an easy victory. Fine margins.

Tough after internationals, too. You can see that some players are knackered after long trips. Bony was on the bench for Swansea after coming back from Cameroon on Friday and Adebayor had to go to Togo and back.

Just seen MOTD as well, that first goal of theirs, double deflection and the Kane og just caught by surprise, cant really blame the lad. We were more unlucky than I thought, throw in 2 shots against the woodwork as well. Destined not to win really.

Just seen MOTD as well, that first goal of theirs, double deflection and the Kane og just caught by surprise, cant really blame the lad. We were more unlucky than I thought, throw in 2 shots against the woodwork as well. Destined not to win really.

Like I said in ratings .. they got lucky for both goals, we completely dominated possession, we hit the woodwork twice, Ade was wasteful and the ref was a homer.

Frustrating game, happens, especially early in season when we are still finding our system.

We should have signed Uolla in the Summer, decent player better then all our strikers and can play up front on his own.

Like I said in ratings .. they got lucky for both goals, we completely dominated possession, we hit the woodwork twice, Ade was wasteful and the ref was a homer.
Frustrating game, happens, especially early in season when we are still finding our system.

I am glad it wasnt just us then. We were going barmy at the game, the foul on Lamela was right in front of us, how the ref never gave anything was beyond me, in fact, if it wasnt a foul then why is Lamela not booked for diving?
And thene the cheek of it, the Sunderland fans start singing 'You dont know what you're doing' when ONE decision goes against them!

Hope you don't mind Paxton, I just added to your title (not trying to hijack the thread - but I will anyway :) )

The season really is back in full swing now. Especially now that I'm reading some quite incredible comments in the OMT and on the board in general.

There are some big myths in my view that are being thrown around.

Worried by Pochettino's lack of fight v Liverpool.

That was Pochettino's 3rd game in the league in charge of Spurs and our first against tough opposition. It's unreal that people think he would have been able to change the side completely in such a short amount of time.

Worried that Pochettino sees Adebayor as his no.1 striker

Ade is the only proven scorer in the PL out of the 3 options we have. There may be some valid thoughts on how we should have bought a striker but IMO we had far more pressing concerns.

Typical Tottenham mentality behind us not winning v Sunderland

I think we have been doing so well in these types of games in the last few years. We've won so many here and at Stoke. We don't generally struggle at places like this. The comments that I just knew we'd throw it away at 2-1 are somewhat unfounded in recent years because again, in these types of games we have typically held on bar the odd slip.

Rose is still a liability

Said it time and time again that I have not been Rose's biggest fan prior to this season. But it is clear as anything to me that he has been Pochettino's biggest success so far in his short term stint here. You can tell Rose really listens and respects him, and has already come on leaps and bounds. He has been so clearly better this season so far than last.

Kane is not a viable option at Spurs

I think as a third choice (at the start of the season), he is a perfect candidate to be a striker in our squad. Hungry, an U21 int'l come through the youth squad. He has shown promise and scored goals in the PL. If anything Soldado is the one who should be under a lot more scrutiny and has it all to do to prove doubters wrong.

Hope you don't mind Paxton, I just added to your title (not trying to hijack the thread - but I will anyway :) )

The season really is back in full swing now. Especially now that I'm reading some quite incredible comments in the OMT and on the board in general.

There are some big myths in my view that are being thrown around.

Worried by Pochettino's lack of fight v Liverpool.

That was Pochettino's 3rd game in the league in charge of Spurs and our first against tough opposition. It's unreal that people think he would have been able to change the side completely in such a short amount of time.

Worried that Pochettino sees Adebayor as his no.1 striker

Ade is the only proven scorer in the PL out of the 3 options we have. There may be some valid thoughts on how we should have bought a striker but IMO we had far more pressing concerns.

Typical Tottenham mentality behind us not winning v Sunderland

I think we have been doing so well in these types of games in the last few years. We've won so many here and at Stoke. We don't generally struggle at places like this. The comments that I just knew we'd throw it away at 2-1 are somewhat unfounded in recent years because again, in these types of games we have typically held on bar the odd slip.

Rose is still a liability

Said it time and time again that I have not been Rose's biggest fan prior to this season. But it is clear as anything to me that he has been Pochettino's biggest success so far in his short term stint here. You can tell Rose really listens and respects him, and has already come on leaps and bounds. He has been so clearly better this season so far than last.

Kane is not a viable option at Spurs

I think as a third choice (at the start of the season), he is a perfect candidate to be a striker in our squad. Hungry, an U21 int'l come through the youth squad. He has shown promise and scored goals in the PL. If anything Soldado is the one who should be under a lot more scrutiny and has it all to do to prove doubters wrong.

The only piece I will comment on Diego is the bit about Kane

- Kane is exactly what you say, provided the other two strikers are available
- My big problem is any long term injury puts us way too dependent on Kane to play and deliver. An injury to Soldado, Ade's off form continues and what do we do? start Kane in PL? very risky proposition.

I feel we left ourselves light in this department and it showed in the benches against pool and sunderland,

i think Kane is fine, he does the right things, holds the ball up well, his finishing is no more erratic than the other two, yeah he's a bit naive at times but only experience will aid that

with lamela, eriksen, chadli, demebele around he could be very good at occupying that space and making room for others, as well as chipping in with a few himself

The only piece I will comment on Diego is the bit about Kane

- Kane is exactly what you say, provided the other two strikers are available
- My big problem is any long term injury puts us way too dependent on Kane to play and deliver injury to Soldado, Ade's off form continues and what do we do? start Kane in PL? very risky proposition.

I feel we left ourselves light in this department and it showed in the benches against pool and sunderland,

It was a bit unfortunate that Soldado picked up that injury when he did as I think he would have figured in this match, probably from the start, considering Ade's recent game schedule and associated travel. That trio of strikers all vying for the one spot seems about right to me. I know this is Spurs and our luck only seems to be of the bad variety, but having two strikers injured would be a rarity and the squad limitations as they are would probably mean 4 strikers is too many. Another body would only make sense if they were able to play multiple positions.

Kane is raw but I think he has something about him and I have high hopes for him. I believe that he is at the stage that he needs playing time to progress so if it happens that he is trust under the spotlight again then it could be the making of him.

Both goals were a giveaway which was disappointing. I think Capoue played an important part in both. For the first goal Johnston went past him and Dier far too easily, his body shape was all wrong. For the second goal what a stupid free kick to giveaway which was the first part of a whole comedy of errors. This is why I am yet to be convinced by Capoue as a a DM or even a long term player for us.

Both goals were a giveaway which was disappointing. I think Capoue played an important part in both. For the first goal Johnston went past him and Dier far too easily, his body shape was all wrong. For the second goal what a stupid free kick to giveaway which was the first part of a whole comedy of errors. This is why I am yet to be convinced by Capoue as a a DM or even a long term player for us.

Interesting. So the answer to the big question of who will be first choice for the CM spots, could it be Stambouli and Dembele? I'm sure Poch will stick with Capoue for now. Longer term you may right. But no doubt it will be analysed and acted upon - hopefully to improve Capoue. Stambouli does seem aware, more like Sandro - an expert at closing down and nicking the ball. Capoue can look a little clumsy in the tackle sometimes, but he will improve.

4 games into a new era at the club, am I concerned that we dropped a silly 2 points away from home? Not in the slightest.

You have to make mistakes as you learn and this is a process. I said it in the summer that the first 6 months of Pochettino is going to have ups and downs. Embrace it, stick with it and enjoy watching decent football. People say they want a manager given time but are the ones moaning about dropping points 4 games in. It is going to happen. Even Chelsea last season dropped stupid points.

TIME TIME TIME! I want pochettino given 4 years without a single question asked as long as we are playing decent attacking football along the way.

Back