• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Discussion Thread

That's true...depends how serious he's injured.

certainly looks worrying in regards to walker. but dier/naughton is good rb depth in his place. we then move a centre half on next summer, dier becomes full time centre half and we blood in yedlin

Must say, this has been one of the most uninspiring transfer window ever for us. Almost all the players we have bought and were linked with have been virtual unknowns. It is disappointing we have not bought more established players, especially in defence and attacks.

Must say, this has been one of the most uninspiring transfer window ever for us. Almost all the players we have bought and were linked with have been virtual unknowns. It is disappointing we have not bought more established players, especially in defence and attacks.

Yep Dier has been so uninspiring, and there are so many better #2 keepers than Vorm out there ... and Davies obviously was not needed to put a fire under Rose's ass ...

None if it makes any sense at all ...

our best transfer windows have usually been when weve bought the unknown

So because they are players you don't know a great deal about, that makes it bad business?!
How much did you know of Modric or Berbatov before we signed them?

Last edited:

It might be uninspiring, but it sure as he'll looks like we're having a highly effective and productive window.

More established players cost more, if we've got the scouting network to identify the next big players, why the hell wouldn't we make all the use of it that we can?

We bought established players last season. That didn't go so well.

Edit: Oh, and to add to the above, unknown to you and everyone on here doesn't mean that they are unknown or not established. Most of our signings have been from top league European teams.

Last edited:

Totally agree. While every single club who finished above us last season have gone out and signed proven players who will drastically improve them we've gone down the typical cheap skate route

Totally agree. While every single club who finished above us last season have gone out and signed proven players who will drastically improve them we've gone down the typical cheap skate route

Yes because buying a bunch of expensive players worked out well in the past . . . .

Disagree. Seems like a downright inspired window. Perhaps not the most immediately exciting transfers, but good solid business with players that fit the system is much more inspired than big name stars bought for the sake of buying big name stars imo.

They have much bigger budgets than us. Us spending less than them is not really us "going down the cheap skate route", but more us signing the players we can afford without having to sell our established stars.

We had a lot of established players and expensive new signings underperform last season. Getting in players to plug the holes in the squad to help the players already here could lead to a big improvement.

I dun understand why people are still not happy with the lack of high profile signing when we have developed a very clear transfer policy in the last few years .

We are not going to spend too much on a player. Last season is an exception since we received one billion from the sale of Bale so we can spent a bit more on Lamela and Soldado , maybe Paulinho too.

We will never able to attract those high profile , proven players until we can offer CL football or high salary. I see no point to compare ourself with the top teams when we are building our team in a totally different way.

The top four can always spend big . Everton desperate need a striker and they probably have spent all they have on Lukaku . Can't see they are spending 20M on another player again in the near future . The transfer market has gone crazy year after year, high profile players cost much than before. Even the Nigeria Forward W.B.A signed this season cost them 10M , i cant imagine what will our fans feel if we splash 10M on a similar background players , no disrespect you can always get those players even it sounds expensive only if your aim is stay in EPL or finished with 10th -12th. But we are talking about challenging the top four with limited resources .The inflation of the transfer fee make us need to spend smart but also good , its much difficult .

If we can get a high profile player with a reasonable price / price we can afford like Van Der Vaart , that's a bonus but not priority.

I am actually satisfied with the signings we have made so far .
They may not look superior but they make the squad solid .
Fazio is younger than Dawson and he is more comfortable with the ball , so does Vorm to Friedel / Gomes .
Davies is certainly a better LB than Fryers . Dier looks promising which really surprised me.
Stambouli sounds like an ideal player of Pochettino's style.

I think the main point is last season we have got too many players especially midfielders but beside Eriksen none of them reached the expectation ( for different reasons). After pre-season some of them looks good and fit to Pochettino's football. You can read from the interviews that the players feel comfortable with Pochettino's idea. At this stage I think it's better to give time to those under performed players whose Pochettino think they are fit to his style , in stead of brining in any new face. As there are not many suitable options (proven but affordable ) in the market . Let's see how things goes in this first half of season .

The only area I ever thought about we could get a upgrade , already proved and also affordable , is striker , for example Bony . But so far I am happy with Adebayor and Kane's performance .

Last edited:
Expect more of these sort of thrashings against all the top teams who have gone out and spent money this summer. Gone out and bought their managers targets. Going backwards every season now.

Expect more of these sort of thrashings against all the top teams who have gone out and spent money this summer. Gone out and bought their managers targets. Going backwards every season now.

I think this is the key sentence here. I dont think its about going out and spending a set amount of money or going out to spend as much as anyone else, its about who we buy and ultimately buying what the Manager/coach wants and needs not what we think he wants and needs. I dont think we are going backwards, I think we are standing still but those around us are moving forwards

I think this is the key sentence here. I dont think its about going out and spending a set amount of money or going out to spend as much as anyone else, its about who we buy and ultimately buying what the Manager/coach wants and needs not what we think he wants and needs. I dont think we are going backwards, I think we are standing still but those around us are moving forwards
Agreed it's looked like we are not going to land MS and he seemed to be the no 1 target and we have failed. But to be fair Southampton have stood there ground. I wonder if this will upset Poch... We should have let Townsend go to them might have softened them up. To be honest we are looking at 6/7 place this year again. I did hear our owner was in the ground today hopefully free up some funds but doubtful.

its alignment between the managers targets and the boards targets that we so desperately need to balance the need for a new stadium and eventually champions league football

Agreed it's looked like we are not going to land MS and he seemed to be the no 1 target and we have failed. But to be fair Southampton have stood there ground. I wonder if this will upset Poch... We should have let Townsend go to them might have softened them up. To be honest we are looking at 6/7 place this year again. I did hear our owner was in the ground today hopefully free up some funds but doubtful.

I think our squad composition is totally wrong and needs a do over which means two or three windows. I dont know how good MS is but if thats who Poch wanted and needed then I think we had to have gotten him right from the get go as soon as Poch arrived.

its alignment between the managers targets and the boards targets that we so desperately need to balance the need for a new stadium and eventually champions league football

When you say targets do you mean ambition or transfer? If its ambition then yes definitely should be aligned but if you are referring to players then im old skool and as far as im concerned what the Manager considers as targets is the only one that matters - all within reason i.e. not spending 10m on a 40 yr old.

Back