• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Malky Mackay Saga

To be honest I think its pathetic how its all blown out of proportion. It was private etc. Im sure we have all said stuff in private to our mates etc.

Not sure who people are within the media who think they can pry into others peoples private lives etc.
It's not private if he did it in connection with his job and on work kit.

Dan Roan ‏@danroan 1m
Cardiff City FC "consider that LMA chief Richard Bevan’s position is untenable and we call for his resignation."

Dan Roan ‏@danroan 52s
Cardiff City: "That the LMA has sought to criticise the Club for the timing of the report to the FA is preposterous, because the..

Dan Roan ‏@danroan 28s
..offensive communications have been in the knowledge & possession of the LMA for months. When the messages came to light, 3 months ago.,

Dan Roan ‏@danroan 38s
the Club encouraged Mr Moody & Mr Mackay to deal with issue directly with the FA..With the backing of the LMA, (they) chose to do nothing.

Dan Roan ‏@danroan 19s
"LMA were therefore complicit in attempt to conceal messages (of which there were many more than the 2 texts acknowledged by Mr Mackay)."

It's not private if he did it in connection with his job and on work kit.

Did they both do it on work time and on work equipment? I didnt know that they did which of course is a technicality. I still think that its blown out of all proportion.

Did they both do it on work time and on work equipment? I didnt know that they did which of course is a technicality. I still think that its blown out of all proportion.
They were doing it in a work capacity because they were colleagues discussing players, agents and work matters.

Being a football manager is hardly a 9 to 5 job and you are the public face of a multimillion pound company, so I do not think that the outside of work thing really applies.

If they were not doing it on work equipment then I fail to see how the club found out about it unless they were really indiscrete which would make it even worse.

The privacy part is for a different argument. Did these messages come to light through a dodgy method? Probably. Does that mean Mackay shouldn't face the consequences of his words? Absolutely not.

Dan Roan ‏@danroan 1m
Cardiff City FC "consider that LMA chief Richard Bevan’s position is untenable and we call for his resignation."

Dan Roan ‏@danroan 52s
Cardiff City: "That the LMA has sought to criticise the Club for the timing of the report to the FA is preposterous, because the..

Dan Roan ‏@danroan 28s
..offensive communications have been in the knowledge & possession of the LMA for months. When the messages came to light, 3 months ago.,

Dan Roan ‏@danroan 38s
the Club encouraged Mr Moody & Mr Mackay to deal with issue directly with the FA..With the backing of the LMA, (they) chose to do nothing.

Dan Roan ‏@danroan 19s
"LMA were therefore complicit in attempt to conceal messages (of which there were many more than the 2 texts acknowledged by Mr Mackay)."

What do they mean by this?.. Mackay has been out of work for the last few months, what was he supposed to do once he knew the LMA had these texts?
I know it's more than likely the LMA did conceal the messages but if they discussed it with him what else should have been done.. Maybe he already he already went 'F**k, sorry about that, it won't happen again! or Should they have said ''look, we have seen these texts and we are gonna release a statment to the press to tell the whole world that you'll never work in this town again!?

How should this have been handled?

If they were not doing it on work equipment then I fail to see how the club found out about it unless they were really indiscrete which would make it even worse.

I could be wrong, but my understnading of this case was that Tan got a lawyer to get a warrant to search MM and IM's homes for other issues (not related to these messages). But in the process of going through MM and IM's emails, texts etc, they were able to uncover these text messages.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/aug/22/sexism-racism-football-dirty-secret-malky-mackay-iain-moody-cardiff-city?CMP=fb_gu

I reckon that if you took all the phones of everybody involved in football, 90% of them would contain emails or text messages displaying homophobia, sexism, racism and everything in between.

Not that I’m defending the former Cardiff manager Malky Mackay and the club’s former head of recruitment, Iain Moody, after the dawn raid on Moody’s south London home, at which investigators allegedly recovered text messages containing similarly distasteful exchanges between the pair. It’s just a gut feeling that I have, coupled with my experience of people within the game shoving similar filth under my nose for the past dozen years or so.

If you want the truth, I’m desensitised to a lot of this stuff, which is a worry, but I remain fully aware of what constitutes a racist, homophobic or sexist message, even if often it appears my contemporaries do not.

But the reported messages are full-on. One reads: “Fkn chinkys. Fk it. There’s enough dogs in Cardiff for us all to go around”, and was supposedly sent after the arrival of South Korean international Kim Bo-Kyung. Among footballers, that would probably get a couple of laughs and a few winces on the coach to a game. Another message, relating to a player’s female agent, reads: “I hope she’s looking after your needs, I bet you’d love a bounce on her falsies.” I can guarantee you that message would have received a generous round of laughter.

Before I wander down the road to hypocrisy, let me say that I have taken measures to distance myself from this behaviour. Not because I am on some crusade towards the moral high ground, but because I’m terrified of either losing my phone or having it stolen. I have a friend who was put on the front page of the News of the World after losing his phone on a night out. The person who found it didn’t hand it in to the police, he went through it and then sold some pictures to that newspaper.

I don’t have any incriminating pictures of myself on my phone – at least, not any more – but in the past I have been bombarded with both vulgar pictures and messages from others. In this world of hanging people in the public eye out to dry, whether they’ve done anything wrong or not, I don’t want to run the risk of compromising myself for something as ridiculous as association with known felons. And before you ask, I fully expect that last sentence to bite me on the **** one day. But calling up those people and telling them to leave me out of the round robin texts that I know are being sent to most of their phonebook was easier than I thought. And it made me think that most of the crap they are sending out is sent because they think it’s what others want to see, rather than because of any genuine animosity towards the person it relates to.

It isn’t just the messages that Mackay and Moody have to contend with. The pair are at the centre of allegations by Cardiff owner Vincent Tan that the club paid way over market value for eight players during their single ill-fated season in the Premier League. It has been claimed that one £600,000 transfer had an additional payment of £600,000 to an agent. I don’t need to tell you that commissions of 100% are something of a rarity in football.

But it appears that Tan may have known about these messages and used them to solicit an apology from Mackay after the Scot dropped a claim against the club for unfair dismissal. Time and again, Tan attempted to oust the pair who, as he saw it, were costing him millions of pounds unnecessarily. In October 2013, Tan replaced Moody with a 23-year-old Kazakh called Alisher Apsalyamov and in December, possibly after uncovering the evidence he needed, Tan emailed Mackay telling him to either resign or be sacked. A week later, Mackay left the club.

What this unsavoury incident may yet show is that Tan may have had a number of grounds upon which he based his controversial handling of Mackay’s exit from the club. Perhaps he could be forgiven for standing in his executive box at the next home game with the faint appearance of a man wearing a slightly smug “I told you so” grin on his face. He might even be due a few apologies, particularly from those fans who demonstrated outside the Cardiff City stadium last season at Tan’s perceived handling of the club. But football doesn’t work like that.

Whatever happens now, Mackay will struggle to get back into football any time soon; the claims against him and Moody have already cost him a shot at the Crystal Palace job, for which Mackay was the favourite.

But one day Mackay will get back in. The pages of today’s story will have long ago been used as chip paper and somebody, somewhere will afford him the opportunity to start again. Like so often in football, progress happens one funeral at a time.

While the content of the messages is out-of-order and to do so using a work mobile is clearly unacceptable, the way the messages have been published is insane.

It seems there was a dawn raid to uncover evidence of corruption, during which mobiles were taken and subsequently the text messages were discovered. These messages are clearly not evidence of corruption, so why have the police released details of them to the press? No crime has been committed (i.e. he wasn't arrested) so it seems the police just released them "for a laugh"?

Am I missing something here?

According to various sources, seems it wasn't a police raid but "investigators" acting on behalf of the club.

Around 70,000 text messages and 100,000 emails were allegedly recovered in a dawn raid on Moody’s home in Balham, south London, this March, the Daily Mail has reported.

Cardiff engaged London law firm Mishcon de Reya, whose investigators obtained a search order from the High Court to enter Moody’s house in Balham, seizing work computers and phones and taking electronic imagery of evidence. They were investigating alleged wrongdoing related to one of these transfers.

The text and email exchanges recovered form the basis of letters sent to the FA by Mishcon de Reya, on behalf of Cardiff.
Under FA rules, Cardiff are required to report any matters which may constitute ‘aggravated misconduct’.

Last edited:
So... (obviously) Arry's added his two cents:

Mackay and his former head of recruitment Iain Moody are alleged to have shared racist, sexist and homophobic texts when they worked together at the Welsh club.

The Scot has apologised for the messages he sent but drew further criticism after a statement issued on his behalf by the League Managers' Association on Thursday night said they were intended as "friendly text banter". The LMA has subsequently apologised for the tone of its first statement.

News that the Football Association was investigating the exchange prompted Crystal Palace to drop their interest in appointing Mackay as their new manager, but Redkapp does not believe these allegations "should finish his life".

"What I would say is that Malky Mackay has made a big mistake," Redknapp said.

"I don't know the other lad (Moody) but what they have done is not right. Malky is a great lad, a family man and a real football man, he has made mistakes and people make mistakes in life.

"Suddenly everyone is an angel, he made a big mistake the lad but it shouldn't finish his life. He is a good manager and I feel bad for what he has done but I bet no one is feeling as bad as him or his family today.

"I'm not condoning what he has done but show me someone who has ever made a mistake and I will show you a liar. He hasn't murdered anyone, he hasn't raped anyone and he is not a paedophile."

With the cloud hanging over Mackay it could be difficult for the former Norwich and West Ham defender to find another managerial position any time soon.

But Redknapp wants to see him given a reprieve at some point in the future: "It is going to take time," he said.

"People get second chances in life who have committed bad crimes - he has made a mistake but we aren't going to hang him for it are we?

"Hopefully he will learn from what he has done but everyone does the tweeting and texting. I don't send text messages, but I do receive them with sick jokes. I don't read them, they make me ill.

"He is a good person underneath all that and I hope he comes back, I can't feel how he must be suffering for the big mistake he has made."

http://www.football365.com/news/21554/9434210/Redknapp-leaps-to-Mackay-defence

1 Cardiff sacked MM, leading MM to bring a claim for wrongful dismissal against the club (seeking £7.5 million in compensation);

2 Cardiff engage their lawyers to investigate the legitimacy of certain transfer deals which were overseen by MM and Ian Moody whist they were both at the club;

3 Cardiff's lawyers manage to obtain a court warrant allowing them to seize relevant equipment, materials and communications for purposes of said investigation;

4 A 'raid' is subsequently undertaken at Moody's house - relevant materials seized including texts, emails etc exchanged between MM and Moody during the relevant investigation period and said exchanges include such delightful titbits as "gay snake", "not many black faces among that lot", " nothing like a Jew who sees money slipping through his fingers", "shame he's Nigerian" and my personal favourite, "he's a young, independent-minded homo".

5 Cardiff contact MM and Moody to inform they are in possession of said communications, and urge them both to go the FA (failing which the club will hand said communications over to the FA);

6 MM suddenly drops his wrongful dismissal suit and issues unreserved apology to club;

7 Cardiff report MM a and Moody and hand the offending communications over to the FA.

So that's my understanding of the relevant chain of events, culminating in Palace's decision to revoke its offer to MM, Moody's resignation from his position at Palace and yesterday's statement from the LMA.

Last edited:
Wouldn't releasing the contents of the texts be an abuse of the court order? The court order was presumably for a specific purpose, to uncover evidence of corruption, not a blank slate to dig up dirt. The release of private information to further an agenda by Tan is surely illegal, but I suppose Mackay is hardly in a position to pursue it in the courts, when he wants it to blow over as soon as possible.

When was this info giving to the FA or LMA? Was it months ago or was it just this week when he was about to get the Palace job?

I've seen in one article saying the LMA were hugely in the wrong for sitting on this info for months and I've seen others saying Tan was getting revenge by releasing the info this week to stop MM getting the palace job

Wouldn't releasing the contents of the texts be an abuse of the court order? The court order was presumably for a specific purpose, to uncover evidence of corruption, not a blank slate to dig up dirt. The release of private information to further an agenda by Tan is surely illegal, but I suppose Mackay is hardly in a position to pursue it in the courts, when he wants it to blow over as soon as possible.

Yep good point, though we obviously don't know the precise terms of that order. It may be that permission was subsequently sought to disclose the material to the FA on public interest grounds.

When was this info giving to the FA or LMA? Was it months ago or was it just this week when he was about to get the Palace job?

I've seen in one article saying the LMA were hugely in the wrong for sitting on this info for months and I've seen others saying Tan was getting revenge by releasing the info this week to stop MM getting the palace job

Again, going by what has been reported, it seems that all this was brought to Mackay and Moody's attention some months ago by Cardiff, which urged them to report themselves to the FA. It would seem that this what prompted him to go the LMA in the first place, so on that basis, the information certainly would have been known to Mackay for some time. Not sure how long the LMA have been in the know.

I don't know about you but my employment contract says that the material I produce at work is the property of my employer. I also have a level of professional conduct that I am expected to up hold.

Regardless of any of the intricacies I think coloured players, Jewish players and homosexual players would probably be uncomfortable playing with this guy in charge. His career is probably over.

Then again JT is still playing and Suarez also.

Regardless of any of the intricacies I think coloured players, Jewish players and homosexual players would probably be uncomfortable playing with this guy in charge. His career is probably over.

Then again JT is still playing and Suarez also.

Ridiculous in this day and age to be non pc and Intolerant of others. However, lets be honest in private most people are not pure in what they say. Everyone has most likely been racist sexist etc at some point and still are in private.

Back