• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***The official health and fitness thread***

In all seriousness, google rapid fat loss diet by Lyle McDonald. Essentially its a protein sparing modified fast, so it tries to force your body to hold on to muscle whilst dropping fat very quickly. This is roughly translated as you'll spend 3 weeks eating nothing but chicken and broccoli for breakfast, lunch, dinner and every snack in between, but it works. You'll need to be lifting whilst doing it, but don't do anything else. You'll also need to buy multivitamins, fish oil etc.

Failing that, heroin.

Obviously it depends on the OP's starting weight, but half a stone in 3 weeks should surely be easily and safely achieved.
Losing 2lbs / week is a widely accepted to be a safe and reasonable rate of weight loss.
So I wouldn't have thought the level of diet you describe is necessary.

Obviously it depends on the OP's starting weight, but half a stone in 3 weeks should surely be easily and safely achieved.
Losing 2lbs / week is a widely accepted to be a safe and reasonable rate of weight loss.
So I wouldn't have thought the level of diet you describe is necessary.

Fair point, it does totally depend on what shape he's in to begin with. If he's heavily obese it's going to be easy, if hes not then it's going to get incrimentally more difficult the skinnier he is.

But I fell into the trap of reading the tone of his post rather than the actual content and assumed what he was asking was difficult. You're right, most people should be able to achieve that fairly easily if they are sensible about things.

finally got my cage and weight set today! garage has been decorated and now resembles a decent gym!

gonna have a crack at millsy's programme but seems tough, either way the burn and euphoria from lifting is almost as satisfying as celebrating a spurs last minute winner!! got some heavy lifting to do, might post some pics of the garage, months of hard work and quite pleased with my achievements!

finally got my cage and weight set today! garage has been decorated and now resembles a decent gym!

gonna have a crack at millsy's programme but seems tough, either way the burn and euphoria from lifting is almost as satisfying as celebrating a spurs last minute winner!! got some heavy lifting to do, might post some pics of the garage, months of hard work and quite pleased with my achievements!

It's not my program. It's written by a guy called Mark Rippetoe, I'd advise buying the book 'Starting Strength', and reading it from cover to cover and back again before lifting anything. Then leave it in the gym for reference when you want to check little things about form or feel things slipping. I think it's up to about edition 2 or 3 now.

Once piece of advice. Always, always start too light. It's better to keep moving forward slowly than to crash into a wall at 100mph.

If you follow the program and eat enough to support weight gain you'll be very happy with the results. Then you can move onto more complex things/a chosen sport/whatever you want.

Defo post pics of the gym though, sounds great!

It's not my program. It's written by a guy called Mark Rippetoe, I'd advise buying the book 'Starting Strength', and reading it from cover to cover and back again before lifting anything. Then leave it in the gym for reference when you want to check little things about form or feel things slipping. I think it's up to about edition 2 or 3 now.

Once piece of advice. Always, always start too light. It's better to keep moving forward slowly than to crash into a wall at 100mph.

If you follow the program and eat enough to support weight gain you'll be very happy with the results. Then you can move onto more complex things/a chosen sport/whatever you want.

+1 for Starting Strength as a beginner. It got me to my PB on Squats (105kg 3x5) which I still haven't gotten back to.

Just remember, what you actually do in the gym is way down the list of importance. Diet and consistency is key, its better do a bad program 4 days/week for 6 months consecutively than do a great program for a couple weeks, then take a few weeks off, then start again for a few weeks.

I found this video added maybe 10kg to my bench by learning better form.

[video=youtube;_QnwAoesJvQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QnwAoesJvQ[/video]

Yeah I have ordered the book from amazon v3, will get it soon and read it through! I weigh in at 62kg presently! there is no way Im near weight press, 1.5squat & 2.0 x deadlift! going to start light and concentrate on form and slightly up the weights each workout as you suggested!

bit confused with how much protein and all the supps, keep reading different things, but I have a good idea on the sort of foods I need to be eating/avoiding!! will get the pics up soon.....thanks for all your advice! so stoked got all my gear now....feel like the hard work can begin.

Yeah I have ordered the book from amazon v3, will get it soon and read it through! I weigh in at 62kg presently! there is no way Im near weight press, 1.5squat & 2.0 x deadlift! going to start light and concentrate on form and slightly up the weights each workout as you suggested!

bit confused with how much protein and all the supps, keep reading different things, but I have a good idea on the sort of foods I need to be eating/avoiding!! will get the pics up soon.....thanks for all your advice! so stoked got all my gear now....feel like the hard work can begin.

Protein wise, a good target is 1g per lb of bodyweight. At 62kg that works out around 136g/day. That should be achievable without protein powder, but most people (including myself) find it easier and cheaper to use it. I personally don't really like drinking them in shakes, I make my own oat raisin protein bars which are great.

Protein wise, a good target is 1g per lb of bodyweight. At 62kg that works out around 136g/day. That should be achievable without protein powder, but most people (including myself) find it easier and cheaper to use it. I personally don't really like drinking them in shakes, I make my own oat raisin protein bars which are great.

cheers dude! yeah need my self a routine, the cooking is the bit i am dreading.... probably going to set aside a few hours on Sunday to prepare lots of food during the week.....pack ups for when I am at work etc..

cheers dude! yeah need my self a routine, the cooking is the bit i am dreading.... probably going to set aside a few hours on Sunday to prepare lots of food during the week.....pack ups for when I am at work etc..

What height and age are you (give me brackets if you don't wanna reveal!! lol)?

At this moment in time, all the supplements you need are whey protein and good quality food. Creatine is relatively cheap and useful, so if you wanted to go with that you could too, it's definitely not essential though.

Started training with weights about 20 months ago, had a hard time with 50kg benchpress and squatted 85kg at the time, weighed 95kg (I'm 1.78m so I was pretty compact) and was just a mess. Now I benchpress 70kg 5x3 and squat 120kg 5x5, the weight is down to 78kg (as of a couple of days ago) and there is definitely a lot more muscles than fat compared to before.

Eating correct is not such a big problem if you're going in for a change of lifestyle rather than a quick fix, diets and stuff like that are just ********. A lot of veggies, fish, chicken and other protein rich and lean meat is good, add some wild rice, whole grain pasta or bread and it's pretty much what you need. Lenses, beans, nuts and fruits are also yummy. But the main thing is a varied diet, and to allow yourself to let loose once in a while, I have been drunk most weekends (oh what could've been) but it would be boring as **** if I hadn't. I've been, and still is, trying to lose some weight, so my way (eating much smaller portions than before I started training) is not really an ideal way of doing it if you want to only gain muscle mass, but I've been very happy with the results so far, most of it has been down to determination and consistency though, without those it's impossible.

Started training with weights about 20 months ago, had a hard time with 50kg benchpress and squatted 85kg at the time, weighed 95kg (I'm 1.78m so I was pretty compact) and was just a mess. Now I benchpress 70kg 5x3 and squat 120kg 5x5, the weight is down to 78kg (as of a couple of days ago) and there is definitely a lot more muscles than fat compared to before.

Eating correct is not such a big problem if you're going in for a change of lifestyle rather than a quick fix, diets and stuff like that are just ********. A lot of veggies, fish, chicken and other protein rich and lean meat is good, add some wild rice, whole grain pasta or bread and it's pretty much what you need. Lenses, beans, nuts and fruits are also yummy. But the main thing is a varied diet, and to allow yourself to let loose once in a while, I have been drunk most weekends (oh what could've been) but it would be boring as **** if I hadn't. I've been, and still is, trying to lose some weight, so my way (eating much smaller portions than before I started training) is not really an ideal way of doing it if you want to only gain muscle mass, but I've been very happy with the results so far, most of it has been down to determination and consistency though, without those it's impossible.

I am now near enough with form on a number of weight lifting exercises in my routine but the one that I just simply cant do is the squat. I just lose all balance, im assuming from a less than strong core but its a catch 22 isnt it. I use the TRX to suat not to pull myself up but rather to make me feel like something is there and that has helped me - the problem is I then cant use dumb bells or barbells for some additional weight.

Anyways feel leaner but not building mass which is to be expected as im eating a high protein high fat and moderate carb diet on a deficit too.

I am now near enough with form on a number of weight lifting exercises in my routine but the one that I just simply cant do is the squat. I just lose all balance, im assuming from a less than strong core but its a catch 22 isnt it. I use the TRX to suat not to pull myself up but rather to make me feel like something is there and that has helped me - the problem is I then cant use dumb bells or barbells for some additional weight.

Anyways feel leaner but not building mass which is to be expected as im eating a high protein high fat and moderate carb diet on a deficit too.

Yeah tough to build mass on a deficit.

Whats a TRX? If you can't squat start with just the bar, or even without any weight at all. I find focusing on keeping my traps tight is the key, push your ass back and break at the knees. Down until your hips are paralell with your knees and back up. If you have trouble keeping your back tight, hold the bar with a narrower grip.

dont know if you have some form of barbell pad to help your back......I bought the squatblaster from amazon....just under £30, for anyone who squats this is beautiful....nice foam support which clips on to your bar...mine is Olympic.... now when I got the cage yesterday I tried some squats and noticed alot of discomfort with my back...thankfully this arrived today and I feel so much more comfortable....really enjoyed squatting tonight...oooo errrr mind you im starting low and building up so was only squatting 40 kg....will go up to 45kg on saturday and keep increasing till I get stuck.

might be its technique or your putting on to much weight.... I did youtube Rippetoe's squat guide and it was very helpful. also found some american vids from 'buff dudes' very funny!

What height and age are you (give me brackets if you don't wanna reveal!! lol)?

At this moment in time, all the supplements you need are whey protein and good quality food. Creatine is relatively cheap and useful, so if you wanted to go with that you could too, it's definitely not essential though.

I am 172cm and 32 years of age....weigh about 62 kg.....

from what you posted before and giving myself to November I would like to get to............115-120 kg deadlift, 60-65 kg Bench press 90-95kg squat.

Did my first session tonight (loved it) and as suggested I started light and I know with everything I have done tonight can lift more....I did:

45kg Deadlift 2 sets of 5 reps
35kg Bench press 2 sets of 5 reps 1 set of 10 reps
40kg Squats 2 sets of 5 reps 1 set of 10 reps
Overarm chins lowering slowly fully down chin over the bar - 5 reps (failure)
Dips - 7 reps (failure)
crunches on abs bench with 5kg plate held to chest 1 set of 10 reps 2nd set of 12 reps (failure)

gonna hit it again Saturday adding 5kg to Deadlift & squat, couple of questions.

1.Saturday Im gonna overhead press instead of Bench press what do you think I should start at? 35kg?

2.I figure doing deadlift first releases all the growth hormones and is obviously the heaviest I will lift in my workout...good idea? I also figured that by doing squats after bench/o press would give my legs time to recover from the battering from dead-lifting? I have read lots about exercising abs/core last because if you batter them first it screws up your balance for heavy lifting? basically does that workout seem ok?

Last edited:

from what you posted before and giving myself to November I would like to get to............115-120 kg deadlift, 60-65 kg Bench press 90-95kg squat.

Did my first session tonight (loved it) and as suggested I started light and I know with everything I have done tonight can lift more....I did:

Dips - 7 reps (failure)
crunches on abs bench with 5kg plate held to chest 1 set of 10 reps 2nd set of 12 reps (failure)

gonna hit it again Saturday adding 5kg to Deadlift & squat, couple of questions.

1.Saturday Im gonna overhead press instead of Bench press what do you think I should start at? 35kg?

2.I figure doing deadlift first releases all the growth hormones and is obviously the heaviest I will lift in my workout...good idea? I also figured that by doing squats after bench/o press would give my legs time to recover from the battering from dead-lifting? I have read lots about exercising abs/core last because if you batter them first it screws up your balance for heavy lifting? basically does that workout seem ok?

I always did squats first, then the upper body (bench/press), then back (deadlift/rows), but I'm not convinced it makes a big difference as long as you are consistent with the order. .

I think you should start under 35kg for press based on what you started at for other exercises, try 25kg but you can always add more for your later sets if it's too light.

Dips - 7 reps (failure)

1. Start with the bar. Do 5 reps. Add 5 kg, do 5 reps. Continue until the bar speed (i.e how quickly the bar moves up) slows even in the slightest. Take that weight and do another 2 sets of 5. That is your starting weight. From then on add 2.5kg per session.

2. You are at absolutely nowhere near the strength levels where lifting anything in any order will interfere with anything else. But, always squat first, its a good warm up for everything else as its the most full body exercise. It's also uses the most muscle out of all the lifts, and is therefore the best for building strength, so you want to get it done when you are fresh. Abs core exercises are a nonsense at this stage. You aren't strong enough to need to worry about extra exercises, squating and deadlinfting properly will strengthen 'the core' adequately for now.

You're not doing the program as laid out. Trust me, I've done the same. It's much more optimal to just do the program for a minimum period of time, then start adding things in or changing things to suit a specific goal.

Last edited:
dont know if you have some form of barbell pad to help your back......I bought the squatblaster from amazon....just under £30, for anyone who squats this is beautiful....nice foam support which clips on to your bar...mine is Olympic.... now when I got the cage yesterday I tried some squats and noticed alot of discomfort with my back...thankfully this arrived today and I feel so much more comfortable....really enjoyed squatting tonight...oooo errrr mind you im starting low and building up so was only squatting 40 kg....will go up to 45kg on saturday and keep increasing till I get stuck.

might be its technique or your putting on to much weight.... I did youtube Rippetoe's squat guide and it was very helpful. also found some american vids from 'buff dudes' very funny!

If you are doing the lowbar squat as per rippetoes recommendation then it shouldn't feel that uncomfortable on your back. The biggest issue is usually flexibility in the shoulders. You'll get used to squatting without the pad pretty quickly if the bar is in the correct position on you back.

If you are doing the lowbar squat as per rippetoes recommendation then it shouldn't feel that uncomfortable on your back. The biggest issue is usually flexibility in the shoulders. You'll get used to squatting without the pad pretty quickly if the bar is in the correct position on you back.

Only pussies use padding for squats. Its what traps are for :p

Not sure what the TRX is, something like a Smith machine? I'm not that tall and have most of the weight centered around the thighs and stomach, so the centre of gravity is pretty low and I can keep my balance even with some heavy weights. Been thinking that wrestling could've been a good sport for me.

Back