• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Morgan Schneiderlin

I still think we are quite likely to get Schneiderlin despite Southampton's protestations otherwise....

I would imagine that the player will be absolutely fuming that so many teammates have been allowed to leave, with the club choosing him to put their foot down over and keep against his wishes. He has been there for a good few years, helped get them up through the divisions and seen a side that was on an upward trend lose it's manager and fellow best players.

As of yet the player has not put in an official transfer request. I would imagine that he will do so at some point over the next couple of weeks and things will then change

The only issue I see is other clubs coming in for him and blowing us out of the water financially either in terms of wages, transfer fee or both. I don't doubt that Schniederlin will leave Southampton this Summer, however it could still end up being to Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utd or one of the big boys from France, Spain or Italy.

So most think we should sign this guy what ever the cost? £30m is far too much for him.

So most think we should sign this guy what ever the cost? £30m is far too much for him.

So personally I don't believe it is a "whatever he cost", however

- BMJ, HR (to a lesser extent) and AVB can all partially attribute their failures to the club not getting the player(s) they wanted, we don't want to start Poch off the same way
- 18-25M (which seems to be the numbers floated, 30+ was with Jay) is no longer the number it used to be ...

The question some people are asking is, would it not be better to overspend by 5-10M if it meant our manager was backed and got the team he needed ...

So personally I don't believe it is a "whatever he cost", however

- BMJ, HR (to a lesser extent) and AVB can all partially attribute their failures to the club not getting the player(s) they wanted, we don't want to start Poch off the same way
- 18-25M (which seems to be the numbers floated, 30+ was with Jay) is no longer the number it used to be ...

The question some people are asking is, would it not be better to overspend by 5-10M if it meant our manager was backed and got the team he needed ...

The thing about modern coaches, and someone like Poch in particular, is that they are supposed to be able to coach the players they are given. With the lifespan of an EPL coach now under 18 months, it's folly to spend all your funds on 'their players', as they'll quickly become deadwood for the next guy. I'd rather we kept to our principles and long term strategy, than be held hostage.

The thing about modern coaches, and someone like Poch in particular, is that they are supposed to be able to coach the players they are given. With the lifespan of an EPL coach now under 18 months, it's folly to spend all your funds on 'their players', as they'll quickly become deadwood for the next guy. I'd rather we kept to our principles and long term strategy, than be held hostage.

Agree, he clearly took players at Southampton and improved them - If he could do the same to Capoue as he did to MS then Capoue would exceed Schneiderlin's level....

Agree, he clearly took players at Southampton and improved them - If he could do the same to Capoue as he did to MS then Capoue would exceed Schneiderlin's level....

.....and be sold by levy for a profit at first given oppurtunity.

**** sakes man do you have an alarm that goes off any time there's an opportunity to aim a dig at Levy?

The worry that I have here is in the player's natural attributes. Pochettino can certainly coach positioning when in/out of possession and the correct passing lines etc. However I don't think he is going to be able to drastically improve a player's ball control or their mobility.

From what I have seen of Schneiderlin and Capoue there is a big difference in their natural attributes. Schneiderlin looks as though he is pretty quick on the turn, has a decent burst of acceleration from a standing start and can get about the pitch well. He also looks to have good, close control and is able to move the ball quickly.

I haven't seen anything from Capoue that suggests he has any of the above attributes. He is slow (especially off the mark and on the turn) His control doesn't appear to be brilliant - which makes me worry when he receives the ball under pressure and he also seems to be rather ponderous on the ball.

If we are looking for a player within the club that Pochettino could turn into a Schneiderlin type player then I think Bentaleb is probably the best suited, perhaps followed by Dembele.

We're always so hell bent on getting the new 'toy' without giving our own players a chance to impress. In our squad we possess a player that has played in the deep lying role a lot for his previous club and done so well that his ex manager feels that it's his ideal role (i'm talking about Holtby). We can also see with our eyes he's tenacious and is very good at picking a pass. We can also see that he's very impatient and likes to be involved in general play (hence him continuously coming deep when starting from an AM position). It's clear to me he'll be a success in that role providing he has a Sandro type alongside him.

We also have another young player who has looked very impressive when given an opportunity and also possess an excellent range of passing. Instead of stunting his development (Benteleb) and shipping out Holtby whilst wasting our time on a player that will not be sold...how about we sign a CB and then maybe focus on our attacking options (i mean AMC or even AML even though i'd prefer Eriksen there).

**** sakes man do you have an alarm that goes off any time there's an opportunity to aim a dig at Levy?

I'm not having a dig in slightest just speaking the truth and saying what will happen if he's any good. Just like someone said the average span of a manager is now 18 months well any player who succeeds at spurs has a similar short life span in comparison. What I'm saying is how hard it is for a manager to build a succesful team these days.

We're always so hell bent on getting the new 'toy' without giving our own players a chance to impress. In our squad we possess a player that has played in the deep lying role a lot for his previous club and done so well that his ex manager feels that it's his ideal role (i'm talking about Holtby). We can also see with our eyes he's tenacious and is very good at picking a pass. We can also see that he's very impatient and likes to be involved in general play (hence him continuously coming deep when starting from an AM position). It's clear to me he'll be a success in that role providing he has a Sandro type alongside him.

We also have another young player who has looked very impressive when given an opportunity and also possess an excellent range of passing. Instead of stunting his development (Benteleb) and shipping out Holtby whilst wasting our time on a player that will not be sold...how about we sign a CB and then maybe focus on our attacking options (i mean AMC or even AML even though i'd prefer Eriksen there).

My worry with Holtby is the lack of positional discipline that I have seen from him when playing for Spurs. Of course this could be because he has never really been asked to have any by AVB or Sherwood? From what I have seen in pre-season though he seems to have been played as one of the 3 in behind the striker as opposed to being played as one of the two more defensive midfielders.

I'm not having a dig in slightest just speaking the truth and saying what will happen if he's any good. Just like someone said the average span of a manager is now 18 months well any player who succeeds at spurs has a similar short life span in comparison. What I'm saying is how hard it is for a manager to build a succesful team these days.

The "at the first opportunity" let's you down rather in your initial statement.

From what I could tell Levy only really sold our stars when having very little alternative. Carrick was in the last 2 years of his contract and made it very clear that he wouldn't even discuss a new deal. Berbatov went on strike to get his move, Modric threatened the same (after Levy had held him for one more year against his wishes) and Bale sulked his way to his dream move to Real Madrid, basically refusing to join pre-season training.

I think the only player that the manager would rather ave retained and we sold for profit was Robbie Keane - and in that case I think it was a case of Levy having a good relationship with the player, realising that he had given us many good years and it was fair to the player to give him a dream move for the right fee.

I do agree. Although I think it will be a few years before Holtby converts from an AM to a CM.

The potential of Bentaleb and Holtby, even Mason and Carroll, are the reasons I'd be happy to get rid of Dembele and Paulinho and not have them cluttering up the bench. But I don't think any of those 4 are ready to be starting alongside Sandro/Capoue yet, which is why I'd like to see Schneiderlin come in.

For me it's the most important position on the pitch. It's no accident that our big periods of progression as a team coincided with the periods when Carrick and Modric were at the club.

I do agree. Although I think it will be a few years before Holtby converts from an AM to a CM.

The potential of Bentaleb and Holtby, even Mason and Carroll, are the reasons I'd be happy to get rid of Dembele and Paulinho and not have them cluttering up the bench. But I don't think any of those 4 are ready to be starting alongside Sandro/Capoue yet, which is why I'd like to see Schneiderlin come in.

For me it's the most important position on the pitch. It's no accident that our big periods of progression as a team coincided with the periods when Carrick and Modric were at the club.

Have to agree with this, generally if you control the midfield in a game your chances of losing said game are greatly reduced.

The "at the first opportunity" let's you down rather in your initial statement.

From what I could tell Levy only really sold our stars when having very little alternative. Carrick was in the last 2 years of his contract and made it very clear that he wouldn't even discuss a new deal. Berbatov went on strike to get his move, Modric threatened the same (after Levy had held him for one more year against his wishes) and Bale sulked his way to his dream move to Real Madrid, basically refusing to join pre-season training.

I think the only player that the manager would rather ave retained and we sold for profit was Robbie Keane - and in that case I think it was a case of Levy having a good relationship with the player, realising that he had given us many good years and it was fair to the player to give him a dream move for the right fee.

You could ask why those players throw strops/go on strike? Perhaps a precedent has been set? Bull a wobbly and I'll sell ya sort of thing? Who knows. All I know is as said before anyone who's any good these days gets sold and our managers are left to pick up the pieces.

I don't think Schneiderlin is quite as good with the ball as most like to think. He's very comfortable receiving, playing and moving but he's not some creative dynamo, he's not going to sit there and ping it around either, not from what I've seen anyway. I'd take him, if just to start with Poch as we mean to carry on but I'm not seeing a £25m player yet, I may not have paid close enough attention to him though. I put him in the same bracket as the rest of our midfielders.

You could ask why those players throw strops/go on strike? Perhaps a precedent has been set? Bull a wobbly and I'll sell ya sort of thing? Who knows. All I know is as said before anyone who's any good these days gets sold and our managers are left to pick up the pieces.

Do you think that is exclusive to our club?

Also I still disagree with your statement that they would be sold by Levy "At the first opportunity"..... I would instead argue that they would be sold by Levy "when there is no other reasonable outcome".

I don't see Paulinho as playing the same sort of role as Schneiderlin.... I think him staying/leaving would have no dependency on Schneiderlin coming in or not.

Dembele on the other hand I think we could lose only IF we get Schneiderlin. I only really see Bentaleb and him being able to play in a similar way to MS, so if Pochettino wants to set us up in a similar way to Southamton then Bentaleb plus one of Schneiderlin or Dembele would seem sensible.

I don't think Schneiderlin is quite as good with the ball as most like to think. He's very comfortable receiving, playing and moving but he's not some creative dynamo, he's not going to sit there and ping it around either, not from what I've seen anyway. I'd take him, if just to start with Poch as we mean to carry on but I'm not seeing a £25m player yet, I may not have paid close enough attention to him though. I put him in the same bracket as the rest of our midfielders.

The key to that role is intercepting the ball and moving it on quickly and efficiently. It's the recycling that is vital, not necessarily making hollywood passes.

The Eriks further up the pitch can do all the clever, creative stuff, especially if we get them the ball quick enough. Schneiderlin is needed as the heart - pumping the blood around the system.

Back