• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ben Davies

Are you happy with the Ben Davies Signing?

• Total voters
I think Rose is a little harshly treated on here at times.... Especially as it was often Ericksen who played in front of him, thus not giving Rose the protection that most fullbacks get from their wide midfielder. It is very difficult to look competent when being forced to deal with two players, witness for example how poor Baines looked against Italy, with Rooney in front of him choosing to/instructed to not track the runs of Italy's right back. However that being said, I got thoroughly fed up with Rose's lack of desire to get back in position when we turned over posession with us caught upfield (especially when on some of those occasions it was him that was responsible for us turning over that posession). I wonder if Rose would've shown that same lack of desire if we'd actually had another left back to play instead of him?

I would be happy with us signing Davies and also keeping Rose next season. The two of them can fight for a place - hopefully bringing out the best in them.

I'm sorry, but Rose is the worst footballer I've seen in a lilywhite shirt since the Stuart Nethercott days. Terrible player with a terrible attitude.

I'm sorry, but Rose is the worst footballer I've seen in a lilywhite shirt since the Stuart Nethercott days. Terrible player with a terrible attitude.

Ha I wouldnt got that far but Rose is poor. His crossing is poor, which should be his strong point seeing how he used to be a winger. His defence positioning is shocking for a premier league player. He is the weakest link in our defence so glad POCH can see it.

Maybe POCH can turn Rose into a decent left back but from what I have seen POCH stands a better chance turning water into wine.

Davies was linked to Atletico Madrid back in March/April. Haven't seen any new stories since then

I find myself reading through here and actually agreeing virtually word for word with one of Gutter Boy's statements. Rose is an awful footballer and it's his arrogance combined with lack of any real ability that makes him a real problem at the same time. Naughton is equally as bad a footballer but it isn't his fault that he has no redeeming features or attributes, he is just crap and he knows it and doesn't try to be something he isn't.

The problem with Rose and his attitude is that he is delusional. He thinks he is better than he is, he actually thinks he is way better than he is. That arrogance combined with his lack of ability is dangerous to us at all times when he is on the pitch and probably more so than Naughton is dangerous to us and for me that is saying something. My own feeling on him is that strong that I think he has to be the next player shipped out if we are serious about addressing the balance and capability of our squad.

You only have to go the lane and watch Rose in the flesh to see how awful he is. TV does no justice to his poor attitude. He gets caught upfield and jogs back so often it makes you livid.

Eh?

The stats were originally posted in order to make the case for Davies. And one or two posters subsequently commented favourably about him as a result.

But the point is that those first stats were pretty meaningless. They only became meaningful (to the extent that stats can actually be meaningful) once they were expressed as a per game measurement.

Edit: Actually, now I'm really confused! I've just realised that it was you who posted the final set of stats. So I've either completely misunderstood your point or I'm completely lost!

Danny rose's stats are meaningless in fairness as he rarely can be arsed to get back to make a tackle or error or clearance in short the boy is lazy and has poor attitude aptitude and commitment.

sorry danny but its true

Last edited:
I find myself reading through here and actually agreeing virtually word for word with one of Gutter Boy's statements. Rose is an awful footballer and it's his arrogance combined with lack of any real ability that makes him a real problem at the same time. Naughton is equally as bad a footballer but it isn't his fault that he has no redeeming features or attributes, he is just crap and he knows it and doesn't try to be something he isn't.

The problem with Rose and his attitude is that he is delusional. He thinks he is better than he is, he actually thinks he is way better than he is. That arrogance combined with his lack of ability is dangerous to us at all times when he is on the pitch and probably more so than Naughton is dangerous to us and for me that is saying something. My own feeling on him is that strong that I think he has to be the next player shipped out if we are serious about addressing the balance and capability of our squad.

tickle my balls with a feather. There are plenty of worse players than Rose who are actually better players than him, because they KNOW their limits.

Typical example of Rose is the NLD cup tie last season, he had LOADS of simple options in the situation he found himself in, going back to the keeper, passing sideways to a team-mate, booting it up the pitch, even booting it for a throw-in.

What he chose to do is try to dummy the ball past an international attacking midfielder with no defensive cover behind him, in the club's biggest game of the season away at their biggest rivals.

We all know what happened next.

His decision making is hideous and he isn't even that good technically. Like you say, look at Naughton. He is actually an ok player to have in the squad to plug gaps because he knows he isn't great and just keeps it simple.

Rose may have only contributed directly to goals himself alone on a number of occasions (if that wasn't enough), but his general decision making, positioning, aggresssion, has left our defence exposed countless times and he hasn't contributed much going forward, despite looking dangerous because of his pace, as his final ball is worse than Aaron Lennon's.

Rose was a failed winger, who got moved back to left-back to see if he was any good there, which he isn't.

To return to Ben Davies.

Am I the only one thinking that £8-10m seems very... reasonable for a player like this? Young, British, PL experience, good player with no obvious weaknesses.

Might be that I'm overrating him, but this seems like a very good deal if we can make it happen.

To return to Ben Davies.

Am I the only one thinking that £8-10m seems very... reasonable for a player like this? Young, British, PL experience, good player with no obvious weaknesses.

Might be that I'm overrating him, but this seems like a very good deal if we can make it happen.

Nope. I'm with you. Is a good price for a promising player who has already proven themself in our league. Perhaps that is why the deal isn't happening/hasn't happened yet - as Swansea want a lot more for him?

Havent really noticed Davies to be honest. What are Swansea fans saying about selling him?

It be the same as joe allen,none of them want him to go but for £15 million,everyone was quite happy,swansea have got a good tradition over the years in replacing players,they've got neil taylor who was a first teamer before his injury,they've just bought a young scotish player. if they get £10 mill for him plus get siggy along in the deal,they be quite happy.

All the swansea players reported back for pre-season including davies yesterday.

It be the same as joe allen,none of them want him to go but for £15 million,everyone was quite happy,swansea have got a good tradition over the years in replacing players,they've got neil taylor who was a first teamer before his injury,they've just bought a young scotish player. if they get £10 mill for him plus get siggy along in the deal,they be quite happy.

All the swansea players reported back for pre-season including davies yesterday.

Cheers.

Similar opinions in this thread here: http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/forum/116446/page:1

I read the first 5 pages, opinions seem to range from "we should be starting at £15m" or "£8m isn't anywhere near enough" to "£8m would be fair, reinvest" or "with his performances over the last season bite their hand off at £10m" (all paraphrases).

Looks like they think they can sell for c.£10m, buy a back up and play Taylor who they think is a similar standard, and make a profit. Doesn't really sound like we're getting anyone special.
Interesting that they don't rate Vorm anymore and would bite your hand off if c.£5m was offered.
And they think Bony is too good for Spurs and will go to a better team.

Looks like they think they can sell for c.£10m, buy a back up and play Taylor who they think is a similar standard, and make a profit. Doesn't really sound like we're getting anyone special.
Interesting that they don't rate Vorm anymore and would bite your hand off if c.£5m was offered.
And they think Bony is too good for Spurs and will go to a better team.

For me the point is that they think Taylor is at a similar standard (although less exciting one poster said), but that's Taylor at 25 whereas Davies only turned 21 this April and he's already started 65 Premier League games (whoscored.com).

I agree that it doesn't seem like they think they're selling someone super special and they're clearly rating Shaw as a bigger talent. For me though if we can sign someone that's already proven himself as a good Premier League full back at 21 I think there's a lot of potential there to improve. So even though they're not selling someone they think is special I think it can be a very good deal for us.

To return to Ben Davies.

I think it's a lot for a full back, a full back with no particular outstanding qualities. If Poch wants him though then I'll go along with it.

I think it's a lot for a full back, a full back with no particular outstanding qualities. If Poch wants him though then I'll go along with it.

If at 20-21 he's already at least a good and proven PL left back I think that's almost worth that cost on it's own. Top class left backs are very rare and even good one's are scarce. I think quite a few full backs that went on to be very important players for very good teams were essentially no better than "good and proven with no particular outstanding qualities" when at a similar age.

Again, I accept that I might be overrating him.

Poch wanting him is obviously the most important thing. From what I've seen Davies is at the very least very comfortable on the ball and I think that will be important for Poch and for his system to work.

What i've seen of him,Davies,he's a proper proper defender,not a winger come defender,not a wide left or right that plays in a five across the field,he's a defender,knows when to play the ball or when to clear it,where as Rose,always plays as someone who wants to play the glory ball or try something stupid like he did against the goons in the FA cup,davies won't do anything spectacular but be far more consistant than what we got now.

There was a documentary about him on welsh tv,since he can speak Welsh, he lived in Denmark for a few years playing football as a youngster as his dad got a job out there,hopefully he won't get homesick if he comes up to the big smoke.

Why? £8-10m is for someone pretty average these days.

We don't need a full-back who is something special. Man Utd dominated English football with Gary Neville and Denis Irwin. We just need someone solid, good positionally and tactically, hard-working, good pro, who supports the forward players and can put a decent cross in.

Back