• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tablet Recommendations

PaulH

Jamie O'Hara
Afternoon,
I'm looking to get a new tablet, any recommendations for around the £300 mark?
I've looked at the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1, is it any good? Should I just go for Wi-fi or a 3G/4G?

Cheers all

The Google Nexus tablets are very good. I've not used the Samsung ones but the reviews for the newer models have been good.

I've got the Sony Xperia Tablet Z and it's excellent. The new one is apparently even better.

I've heard that a good cheap way to get an android tablet is to buy a locked down one like a Kindle Fire HD and install a stock ROM. Not sure if that kind of thing interests you.

Cheers all. No not set on android, it's just what I use.
Scara, sound stupid but how do you tether to your phone?
On your mobile you should have an option to create. WiFi hotspot. Then you just connect to it over WiFi from the tablet.

You need to make sure you don't get charged extra for it from your network though. If you have an iPhone you probably will.

I have an iPhone on O2 and there is no additional charge for tethering.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

The Google Nexus tablets are very good. I've not used the Samsung ones but the reviews for the newer models have been good.

I think Google I/O is this week and they may announce they aren't making the Nexus any more, or are changing spec, which might make prices tumble

Iphone on Three had tethering without an extra cost.
What are you going to use your tablet for mate and do you have a size in mind?

I think Google I/O is this week and they may announce they aren't making the Nexus any more, or are changing spec, which might make prices tumble
I've read the rumours that they might stop the Nexus tablets but I think that announcing a new model is more likely. Either way, you are right prices will fall.

Iphone on Three had tethering without an extra cost.
What are you going to use your tablet for mate and do you have a size in mind?

I'll be using it for leisure and work. Start a new job on Monday so something that would be good for documents on the go etc. Obviously for web browsing plus films and photos. Bit of everything I guess.

On your mobile you should have an option to create. WiFi hotspot. Then you just connect to it over WiFi from the tablet.

You need to make sure you don't get charged extra for it from your network though. If you have an iPhone you probably will.

Excellent, thanks. Have found it on my phone so should be good to go.

I'll be using it for leisure and work. Start a new job on Monday so something that would be good for documents on the go etc. Obviously for web browsing plus films and photos. Bit of everything I guess.

If you're using it for work, I'd recommend an android tablet with a Microsoft wedge keyboard and mouse. My laptop never leaves my desk unless I need to do some coding or heavy db queries now.

bumped

Anyone got a suggestion for the best deals on Pay and Go SIMs for tablets? I mainly get by using WiFi but am thinking of getting a SIM card so I can use it more when travelling.

I don't really want to be paying x amount a month regularly but maybe topping up with a GB here and there so it's there for emergencies and holidays etc.

Pretty sure monthly is your only option.

O2 offer a decent one for about £15 a month which is a paltry 2gb but you get rollover and double up months etc.

It's what I use on my iPad although I rarely use it as everywhere's got wifi!!!

Can't you just tether it to your phone? That's what I do.

I spend most of my time working in Brussels now so cancelled my UK phone once contract was up and just got a new mobile and added a Belgian SIM. I can tether it here but not when back in the UK.

I don't mind doing a monthly plan but prob not 15 a month just for weekend travelling

Ah, I see. Don't some companies allow you to use your deal across Europe now?

I'm sure I've seen an advert for 3 that says you can. Not sure how that compares to a Belgian deal though.

Yeah I looked into it a while ago, Apparently there are plans to get rid of the roaming charges maybe from December this year. Three allow you to use your data in a select few countries already but Belgium isn't one of them yet.

Maybe I should check out SIMs on Three anyway, maybe they will continue to add more countries.

Everything will be so much easier (and cheaper) once roaming charges are abolished. Unless they find a new way to sting you which I am sure they might.

Back