• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Money Clubs

Amor

Nicola Berti
I was talking to an Arsenal fan today and he called me crazy because I said I would rather have Tottenham stay living within it's means and maybe get 4th and a minor trophy every once in awhile then be bought out by a rich arab and compete with the top clubs every year.
Am I crazy, does anyone else here hold the same beliefs?
In the end he says it's all about winning, while I maintain that the way you win is just as important, if not more.
So if you had the option which would you choose?

I like to think I would feel the same way as you, but I know if it was to ever happen I would fully embrace it and enjoy it.

Maybe it's just because Arsenal have had more than a decade of living within it's means, getting 4th, a minor trophy every once in a while, and not competing with the top clubs every year; and he's just fed up of it?

problem is that there are so many money clubs now we need 2 of them to have a bad year to have any chance of CL

It's a different type of excitement.

I like my team to show progress and watch players develop, doing a little bit better each season and hoping for more the one after. With the money you get the immediate influx of quality players that transforms your side completely, you get to watch them win most weeks and feel nervous because it's new and you aren't used to them being good.. it's like the Lasagne season when I (I'm sure others, too) really felt it could happen, they just kept winning and getting better. Same with the season Spurs did finally finish 4th. Gudjohnsen's goal up at Stoke was a real turning point, we'd usually lose that game.

But then it becomes the norm and the fans become obnoxious gimps, spoiled by the rising expectations and pricetags of the players.

Depends how you look at it really.

Some would say spurs were one of the first clubs to pay inflated prices for players and one of the reasons a lot of older fans disliked us ?

I am so fed up with modern football I'd rather go back to 1992/3 and watch Sheringham banging in the goals with players like Nethercott and Dean ****ing Austin putting in real effort week in week out despite being rubbish!! I really would!

I'm very much in the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" camp.

I would love Spurs to become properly competitive without resorting to third party money. But that seems unlikely. And I could never be happy with Spurs accepting, in perpetuity, a supporting role as an occasional Champions League qualifier and perennial loser of its best players to Europe's very biggest clubs.

Football as we knew it is already ruined. Clinging on to it is futile. So why not embrace the new reality? There are financially doped clubs. And there are other clubs, simply through the happenstance of being in the right place at the right time (top four when the Champions League was created), which enjoyed the fruits of a virtuous circle and created a financial chasm between them and the rest. And FFPR, if it had any teeth, would merely cement that status quo for all time.

So it's not as if we'd be seeking to gain an advantage over others if we were to be blessed with third party money. We'd merely be levelling the playing field.

Last edited:
Depends how you look at it really.

Some would say spurs were one of the first clubs to pay inflated prices for players and one of the reasons a lot of older fans disliked us ?
Yet we were only spending money that we'd generated by having a large fan base (partly by being a lot of people's 2nd team). We generated that by playing exciting football.

It's got nothing to do with the spending side, that's irrelevant. It's all about how you earn it - that's why I've never disliked Utd.

We're looking at it with how things are now, rather than the possible scenario . Let's forward ourselves five years from now .

It's a real possibility that clubs like Aston Villa , West Ham and Saudi Sportswashing Machine will all owned by new mega rich owners willing to pump in serious money into their respective clubs.

If that were to happen, then what's deemed a successful season for us will have to be totally different.

We will be happy if we can make the top ten and also be mathematically safe from the drop with half a dozen games to go.

We will also have to accept, some serious beatings from these teams too. After a while, the Spammers wont even take us seriously and no longer even see us rivals :eek: Imagine, we're in for a player, they will just come in and blow us out of the water! Players and managers, choosing these clubs ahead of us will be the norm. Get used to the player qoutes ; "I chose West Ham over Spurs because of the ambition and I want Champions League"

We will become a mid table outfit with a near 60,000 stadium, with an annual net spend on players that only goes towards maintaining our premeirship status. Stay in the premeirship will be viewed as our success, we will become like the Spams are now and we may even turn to the likes of Pullis and Allydyce in certain situations . :eek:

didn't united initially earn it the same way, they had more success before the glazers arrived than since

Football must be about the journey too, not just the end result. That is why we like it and get caught up in the whole emotion of the match and indeed a season. The growth or decline of a club is part of fabric of the game and if you bypass that journey by injecting vast sums equal to the GDP of a small country into a club then you have missed the point entirely. Skip to the end of the story if you like but that's when I'll opt out.

I'm hoping that someone discovers a new energy source that will crash the oil market. Roman and the Sheikh wouldn't be so flush then right?

The achievement means so much more when done within ones means.. anyone... literally as has been shown, can spunk a billion and buy success.. there is zero achievement in that.

I'm hoping that someone discovers a new energy source that will crash the oil market. Roman and the Sheikh wouldn't be so flush then right?

why... they have money in the bank.. doubt it would bother them.. well Abramovich it wouldn't as he doesn't look after a country. They will probably use there money to sabotage such new energy resources also, not unlike the rich Texans billionaire's have been accused of in the past.

Back