• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I remember going to the pub with my house mate and there being Italians at the next table. He would be earwigging and understand what they were saying even though he had never had an Italian lesson in his life.

I've got a Portuguese friend now and she has told me that the Spanish struggle with Portuguese but they do not have the same problem with Spanish. I wonder whether this is cultural and be because Portuguese is not as widely spoken as Spanish so there is more need for them to speak other languages. I would imagine that Spain is a bigger cultural power in the region and that could have a big impact too.

My Colombian work colleague obviously speaks Colombian Spanish but also understands Brazilian Portuguese really well, but doesn't understand Italian well at all.

So perhaps South American Spanish speakers like MoPo with Brazil on their border, understand Brazilian Portuguese more than they understand Italian.

I was going to ask whether in South America because they seem quite linked whether some of the Spanish speaking countries teach Portugese at school and vica versa (and whether they watch each others' shows?).

The real point anyway is that I doubt Pochettino will be having to pull out all of his languages to converse with our players.

I've been to small towns in Italy and gotten by on Spanish. Obviously the understanding isn't 100% but they roughly understood what I was asking and I roughly understood what they were replying.

I was completely lost in Portugal. I didn't have the slightest idea what was going on with the language.

When I was travelling round central and south America I could have decent conversations in Spanish, however the dialects and different way of speaking between each of the countries threw me from time to time (example: coche=Car in pretty much everywhere, in Guetemala it means pig). I figured I'd be able to get by in Brazil.

Didn't have a scooby beyond Obrigado.

The real point anyway is that I doubt Pochettino will be having to pull out all of his languages to converse with our players.

It's useful though.

It helps communicate the intricacies - "run around a bit" might be easily understood by EFL players, but if Poch can get something more complex across better in Spanish or French, then all the better.

It's also useful in terms of making foreign players feel integrated and perhaps also a selling point for potential new players if the coach can sell his vision to them in their mother tongue.

It's also useful in terms of making foreign players feel integrated and perhaps also a selling point for potential new players if the coach can sell his vision to them in their mother tongue.

This is where I think speaking several different languages is most useful. I read somewhere that Southampton had a 100% success rate of signing any player that they had a bid accepted for and were able to talk to (and they put that success rate down to Pochettino talking to the potential players).

It's useful though.

It helps communicate the intricacies - "run around a bit" might be easily understood by EFL players, but if Poch can get something more complex across better in Spanish or French, then all the better.

This is also relevant in an actual game situation, when he is on the side lines screaming instructions at individual players. It will mean he can communicate in their mother tongue so they understand fully *and quickly* what he needs them to do.

This is also relevant in an actual game situation, when he is on the side lines screaming instructions at individual players. It will mean he can communicate in their mother tongue so they understand fully *and quickly* what he needs them to do.

And so the opposition bench can't in most cases understand.

Like Klose and Podolski used to speak Polish on the pitch at Bayern.

Or like Welsh soliders speak Welsh on their radios in hostile countries (more secure than encryption).

And so the opposition bench can't in most cases understand.

Like Klose and Podolski used to speak Polish on the pitch at Bayern.

Or like Welsh soliders speak Welsh on their radios in hostile countries (more secure than encryption).

Christ - are the radios built to cope with all that spittle?!? :)

van gaal showed today how to exploit the high line defence by trashing spain 5-1.

blind played a blinder with his crosses pinging into the blindside behind the spanish defence frequently.
robben outrunning two spanish defenders from the half way line, demonstrated that you can exploit that high line with accuracy and timing.

i'm sure poch is learning and watching - this could be how Man U play against us next season.

I'd assume that most of our players can understand English, otherwise managers like Ferguson wouldn't have gotten very far.

I speak Spanish and struggle immensely to understand Portugese. Italian is a lot easier to understand for me.

The spanish being the same as portugese thing = total myth almost completely different languages with the odd word being similar
You are right spanish italian are far closer

I like the fact that Eriksen, Lamela, Ade, Walker and Holtby will all be available from day one of pre season

van gaal showed today how to exploit the high line defence by trashing spain 5-1.

blind played a blinder with his crosses pinging into the blindside behind the spanish defence frequently.
robben outrunning two spanish defenders from the half way line, demonstrated that you can exploit that high line with accuracy and timing.

i'm sure poch is learning and watching - this could be how Man U play against us next season.

Good post
LVG will have an easy time exposing the huff and puff high intense pressing with a high line

I'm not looking forward to the Utd games next season tbh

Good post
LVG will have an easy time exposing the huff and puff high intense pressing with a high line

I'm not looking forward to the Utd games next season tbh

I don't just think it will be just LVG that can 'counter' the said game plan, I think many managers will now be able to do so. Let's hope that MOPO has more to him than AVB did, and will be able to 'counter' the counter.

I don't just think it will be just LVG that can 'counter' the said game plan, I think many managers will now be able to do so. Let's hope that MOPO has more to him than AVB did, and will be able to 'counter' the counter.

It has less to do with all that rubbish that picking a settled team that works together, works hard, understands their roles and performs well. People have had over 18 months to counter Pochettino's Southampton tactics and really the only teams that successfully did so were teams that were better than Southampton on paper, majority of their defeats were just flukes such as their loss against Villa when Villa scored with two counter attack goals having about 20% possession and 2 attacks all game. Those things just happen sometimes.

Same as Spain v Holland. 2bh, Spain were giving Holland a pretty torrid time and they'd just missed a good chance to deservedly go 2-0 up. They were destroying Van Gaal's own tactics of a 3 man defence and Van Gaal's Holland to me looked an old, tired, team from an older era playing out of date tactics and getting royally stuffed.

What happened then? A quality goal out of nothing from a quality player, totally changed the game. Suddenly Holland had confidence right before half time and Spanish had a hammerblow. 2nd half, a few of the Spanish Real/Barca cliques seemed to come out with some petulance and hesitation and Holland had the confidence to start playing riskier passes and getting Robben, Van Persie and co in behind.

Holland scored the 2nd goal on the counter and thereafter the Spanish just seemed to sink mentally.

Don't think it was a tactical thing at all, basically, the confidence and pendulum swung at just the right time and one team gave up mentally after that.

It has less to do with all that rubbish that picking a settled team that works together, works hard, understands their roles and performs well. People have had over 18 months to counter Pochettino's Southampton tactics and really the only teams that successfully did so were teams that were better than Southampton on paper, majority of their defeats were just flukes such as their loss against Villa when Villa scored with two counter attack goals having about 20% possession and 2 attacks all game. Those things just happen sometimes.

Same as Spain v Holland. 2bh, Spain were giving Holland a pretty torrid time and they'd just missed a good chance to deservedly go 2-0 up. They were destroying Van Gaal's own tactics of a 3 man defence and Van Gaal's Holland to me looked an old, tired, team from an older era playing out of date tactics and getting royally stuffed.

What happened then? A quality goal out of nothing from a quality player, totally changed the game. Suddenly Holland had confidence right before half time and Spanish had a hammerblow. 2nd half, a few of the Spanish Real/Barca cliques seemed to come out with some petulance and hesitation and Holland had the confidence to start playing riskier passes and getting Robben, Van Persie and co in behind.

Holland scored the 2nd goal on the counter and thereafter the Spanish just seemed to sink mentally.

Don't think it was a tactical thing at all, basically, the confidence and pendulum swung at just the right time and one team gave up mentally after that.

=D>=D>=D>=D> Quality post

Pirlo - any one young like him that is suitable for a champions league striving club.

Just read his book and he mentions Baldini in it. He tried to sign him at Roma and Madrid, and every time they meet Baldini says he wants to sign him before Pirlo retires. Imagine...

Just read his book and he mentions Baldini in it. He tried to sign him at Roma and Madrid, and every time they meet Baldini says he wants to sign him before Pirlo retires. Imagine...

Is he still playing a full season? He's almost as old as me so I'd be surprised if he is. That's not to say I wouldn't take him in a heartbeat, even if we did need to manage which matches he played in.

Imagine him and Sandro as a double pivot...... =P~

Back