• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Just see an opta stat saying Southampton attempted most long passes in premier league last season 2000+.
Hope we don't see that next season

Just see an opta stat saying Southampton attempted most long passes in premier league last season 2000+.

It is important to compare that with how many passes they actually made. They had one of the highest possession rates so I assume their passing numbers would be high.

A more representative stat would be to see what percentage of their passes are long balls compared to the rest of the league.

Long ball is fine at times to hit the forward line early if there is space. From the times I watched Southampton last season, they didn't strike me as a lump the ball forward to the big man side, it was more a case of fast transition whilst maintaining possession.

They didn't play long balls in the lump it sense they played long range direct passes.

You see this for me is why Pochettino is going to hopefully be better than AVB as his philosophy may be high line/high press but when we get the ball back he will want us to hit the front men fast and hard before the opposition have a chance to organise - if that's a 20 metre cross field pass to Lennon then so be it

They didn't play long balls in the lump it sense they played long range direct passes.

You see this for me is why Pochettino is going to hopefully be better than AVB as his philosophy may be high line/high press but when we get the ball back he will want us to hit the front men fast and hard before the opposition have a chance to organise - if that's a 20 metre cross field pass to Lennon then so be it

Let's hope it's not from Dawsons feet then.
I know it was not a lump it style and honestly the stat surprised me as when I'd seen them last year it was quick passing into feet.

I'm most looking forward to hopefully seeing some movement of the ball as last couple of seasons when players did not have the ball they were static.

That's what was good to watch about city this year when in the final third there were always players on the move or running in behind something we lacked .

Poch was not who I wanted as it was a gamble might aswell of gone for FDB but hey let's hope we see some good football next season :)

Has anyone posted Southampton's translator is the real manager?

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U--_8tXE75o[/video]

interesting to read earlier that van ghali was very close to signing on the dotted line and is also an undercover spurs fan like berkamp! still no thank you letter from him!

interesting to read earlier that van ghali was very close to signing on the dotted line and is also an undercover spurs fan like berkamp! still no thank you letter from him!

Unless you can show where you read this, i'll just assume you made it up :-"

Premier League: Louis van Gaal 'very close' to managing Tottenham before Manchester United move

Asked how near he was to taking the job, Van Gaal said: "Very close, very close.

"As a little boy I was a fan of Tottenham Hotspur with the team of Jimmy Greaves when he was the champion. Jimmy Greaves was my idol, so I was very close."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/9335844

i think poch would have known of THFC when he was a kid. He would have watched Argentina win the world cup and then heard of heroes Ardiles and Villas signing for Spurs. Not sure if he had any chance of seeing them (us) play then though - thank GHod for you tube.

I was reading back through the reports of the Spurs-Southampton games last season to jog my memory. I'm not suggesting these would entirely colour Poch's perspective on the players he's taking over, but it is possible that they would have an outsize impact.

In those games:

- Dembele was hauled off early both times, after poor shows;
- Paulinho didn't play at all (injured & then benched)
- Bentaleb did well, making impressive debut as sub at St. Mary's;
- Ade was v good in first game and Soldado delivered what I thought was his best performance of the season in the return game at the Lane;
- Poch got to see all 4 centre halves - Dawson & Chiriches the first time and Kaboul & Vertonghen the next day

I was reading back through the reports of the Spurs-Southampton games last season to jog my memory. I'm not suggesting these would entirely colour Poch's perspective on the players he's taking over, but it is possible that they would have an outsize impact.

In those games:

- Dembele was hauled off early both times, after poor shows;
- Paulinho didn't play at all (injured & then benched)
- Bentaleb did well, making impressive debut as sub at St. Mary's;
- Ade was v good in first game and Soldado delivered what I thought was his best performance of the season in the return game at the Lane;
- Poch got to see all 4 centre halves - Dawson & Chiriches the first time and Kaboul & Vertonghen the next day

Not sure his opinion will be shaped by those games alone for example Lovren had his worse game of the season at WHL

Talking of whom, when will we see him holding our shirt aloft? Last week we were told by a so called ITK that Lovren would sign in a couple of days...tell you what, we must have kept that signing quiet!!

Back