• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What Would You Do? - Summer Ins and Out

I'm really sceptical of buying any player for a starting spot if they haven't played in the PL before. As an option to develop over the season? Sure, but making it work with our squad is the most important thing and making pointed additions where needed from the PL should work.

Hopefully Paulinho has a decent World Cup and he can go and **** off. Not sure about keeping Soldado either. Also, out with Dembele.

We need a new LB. Southampton will never sell us Shaw except for crazy price.
I would gladly accept Lallana, a right winger, cb and a striker.

Hrhmm. Going to be another overhaul, I'm afraid, but hopefully it'll be the last one. Get this window right and then allow Poch as much time as he needs to make sense of his squad.

Outs:

Gomes (already done, this)
Friedel (time to retire, probably)
BAE
Coulibaly (doesn't look all that promising unfortunately)
Mason (ditto)
Rose (some promoted team will likely want him for a good price)
Ade (sell while his stock is high)
Livermore (damn shame, but Hull are apparently willing to throw money at us for him, so he stays there)
Falque (had a decent season with Rayo, should fetch a good price)
Kaboul
Siggy
Capoue (just never fit in, unfortunately)
Paulinho (if we can squeeze the rumored 25 million pounds from Chelsea/A.N.Other)

In:

Joe Lewis (backup keeper fro Cardiff)
Caulker
Ben Davies
Schneiderlin
Lallana
Morata

End of the window, I'd love for us to have a squad like this:

Lloris
Lewis
Archer

Walker
Naughton
Caulker
Dawson
Chiriches
Verts
Davies
Fryers

Lamela
Lennon
Sandro
Dembele
Schneiderlin
Holtby
Eriksen
Tommy Carroll
Lallana
Townsend

Morata
Soldado
Kane

....with Bentaleb, Pritchard, Veljkovic and Coulthirst being given the highest-profile loans we can find to give them some experience.

Last edited:
I'm possibly one of the few who reckons there's a pretty decent player in Rose somewhere and Poch may be the man to eke it out.

I think we need two centre halves (to replace Dawson & Kaboul), a left-winger like Lallana if we can get him, and a striker like Bony or Lukaku (with us selling off Soldado). If Poch decides he can do without any of Sig, Capoue, Holtby, that's fine by me too.

In:
Lescott
Cole
Lallana
Remy

Cost about £35 million

Out:
Naughton
Rose
Dawson
Livermore
Lennon
Sigurdsson

Receive about £25 million

Net Spend: £10 million

Keep Assou-Ekotto and Holtby. Send Tom Carroll and Zeki Fryers both out on loan for one year.

Would love to see this team (unlikely though):

----------------Lloris----------------------

--Walker----Lescott--Vertonghen----Cole--

------------Paulinho--Dembele-------------

----Lamela--------Eriksen-------Lallana----

-------------------Remy-------------------

Hrhmm. Going to be another overhaul, I'm afraid, but hopefully it'll be the last one. Get this window right and then allow Poch as much time as he needs to make sense of his squad.

Outs:

Gomes (already done, this)
Friedel (time to retire, probably)
BAE
Coulibaly (doesn't look all that promising unfortunately)
Mason (ditto)
Rose (some promoted team will likely want him for a good price)
Ade (sell while his stock is high)
Livermore (damn shame, but Hull are apparently willing to throw money at us for him, so he stays there)
Falque (had a decent season with Rayo, should fetch a good price)
Kaboul
Siggy
Capoue (just never fit in, unfortunately)
Paulinho (if we can squeeze the rumored 25 million pounds from Chelsea/A.N.Other)

In:

Caulker
Ben Davies
Schneiderlin
Lallana
Morata

End of the window, I'd love for us to have a squad like this:

Lloris
Lewis
Archer

Walker
Naughton
Caulker
Dawson
Chiriches
Verts
Davies
Fryers

Lamela
Lennon
Sandro
Dembele
Schneiderlin
Holtby
Eriksen
Tommy Carroll
Lallana
Townsend

Morata
Soldado
Kane

....with Bentaleb, Pritchard, Veljkovic and Coulthirst being given the highest-profile loans we can find to give them some experience.

That's about my thinking also. Chaldi in there somewhere too.

Caulker
Ben Davies
Schneiderlin
Lallana
Morata

(Cut some of your post just to keep things tidy)

Agree with a lot of your incomings, although I will snappishly avoid the probably incoming Caulker debate. 4/5 players with PL experience, a lot of potential for development all around. 2 players Poch has worked with. A left back used to playing a fairly high possession and attacking game, a central midfielder that's a passer of the ball above most other things, a new centre back. A talented young striker with a bit of height and power.

There are other names out there that could also be interesting, but that list would make me very happy.

Out of curiosity, why do you think Bentaleb should be sent out on loan whilst Carroll should be kept around for the first team this season?

(Cut some of your post just to keep things tidy)

Agree with a lot of your incomings, although I will snappishly avoid the probably incoming Caulker debate. 4/5 players with PL experience, a lot of potential for development all around. 2 players Poch has worked with. A left back used to playing a fairly high possession and attacking game, a central midfielder that's a passer of the ball above most other things, a new centre back. A talented young striker with a bit of height and power.

There are other names out there that could also be interesting, but that list would make me very happy.

Out of curiosity, why do you think Bentaleb should be sent out on loan whilst Carroll should be kept around for the first team this season?

For one, seniority. In terms of time spent out on loan, Carroll's got a leg up on Nabil, and it's hardly fair to the rest of our youth teamers hoping to make it if we discard him without really giving him a full year in and around the first team (a la Fryers, for example) to see what he's worth. Bentaleb needs to improve his reflexes and decision-making (although he's quite good as he already is), so a loan that guarantees him 30-40 appearances would be beneficial for him as well.

Also, Carroll's done okay-ish as a central midfielder for QPR, but I suspect his attributes (quick passing, an eye for the slide-rule pass, a slight frame) are more suited to the AM position: at least, I'd like to see him tried there. Hence, I've tried to tailor the squad in a way that affords Carroll the responsibility of being one of the primary back-ups for Eriksen/Lallana/Lamela, with Townsend and Lennon being the 'conventional' replacements for the wider players in that trio and Holtby being the 'emergency' replacement, pushed up from deep should Carroll subsequently also injure himself/prove unable to carry out the role effectively.

Now that I've hopefully softened you up/bored you stiff, as a return question, what are your views on Steven Caulker? No snappishness, if you please. :)

For one, seniority. In terms of time spent out on loan, Carroll's got a leg up on Nabil, and it's hardly fair to the rest of our youth teamers hoping to make it if we discard him without really giving him a full year in and around the first team (a la Fryers, for example) to see what he's worth. Bentaleb needs to improve his reflexes and decision-making (although he's quite good as he already is), so a loan that guarantees him 30-40 appearances would be beneficial for him as well.

Also, Carroll's done okay-ish as a central midfielder for QPR, but I suspect his attributes (quick passing, an eye for the slide-rule pass, a slight frame) are more suited to the AM position: at least, I'd like to see him tried there. Hence, I've tried to tailor the squad in a way that affords Carroll the responsibility of being one of the primary back-ups for Eriksen/Lallana/Lamela, with Townsend and Lennon being the 'conventional' replacements for the wider players in that trio and Holtby being the 'emergency' replacement, pushed up from deep should Carroll subsequently also injure himself/prove unable to carry out the role effectively.

Now that I've hopefully softened you up/bored you stiff, as a return question, what are your views on Steven Caulker? No snappishness, if you please. :)

Interesting. For me it's the other way around, Bentaleb has shown himself capable at a high PL level this season. Carroll hasn't done that yet. So for me Bentaleb has stepped ahead of Carroll in the pecking order. Age and how long they've waited really doesn't come into it much for me, it's about how good they are and to what extent they've proved themselves good enough. In short, come August I would be more confident that Bentaleb would do a job if called upon in the Premier League than I would be about Carroll.

Haven't watched QPR at all this season, but I don't see him as a number 10. From what I've heard QPR have been fairly defensive and direct this season, not a system that suits Carroll so I'm not reading too much into his performances there. Do you think we would get goals from Carroll in that position? I struggle to see that he would be a regular scorer, for me that's important from a player in that position when playing a lone striker. He's not the biggest and will need time to develop into a deeper role, but I think he can.

For Caulker, I always rated him. I was very impressed with him at Swansea, but I haven't seen him much at Cardiff. I rated him higher than most on here whilst he was in our squad, thought he got an unfair amount of criticism as he was never given a chance to start regularly or form an understanding with a regular partner next to him like he did at Swansea. I think his age gets underplayed at times, he's still only 22, there's been a lot of very good PL defenders that have been playing in smaller leagues at that age and I have in the past listed some of them. I really don't see why he shouldn't be able to sort out his shortcomings given a few years.

However, I'm not sure he's who I would want to see us go for this summer. There have of course been speculations that he was let go because of some backroom issues, in which case he might not even be an option for us. But even if that's not the case I really think what we need at the back is someone with a bit more experience and even more importantly someone that's good at organizing at the back. Qualities I think are lacking in both Dawson and Kaboul, and something I seriously doubt Chiriches is ready for. That really only leaves Vertonghen as someone that organizes the back 4 and he's not outstanding at it either and has had a disappointing second season. I would like to see a Naybet or Gallas type signing more than another young player (in an already young back 4, particularly if you take away Dawson/Kaboul). I don't know who exactly that should be to be honest, I don't think it's Rio Ferdinand for example, but I hope Baldini will know of someone. Wouldn't mind Lovren, but he will surely be very expensive at this point. Would like to see someone with PL experience, but again, not a lot of obvious names available.

That being said we have some serious issues at the back. Dawson and a Poch high pressing game and play it out from the back style? Not convinced. Kaboul's ongoing injury issues makes him a less than stellar candidate too. I honestly wouldn't mind if we replaced both, in that case one experienced player and Caulker back would make me happy. Although being one of four and not a first choice might not be what Caulker wants at this point. If the experience player that can come in isn't available/gettable and we have to go for someone a bit younger I wouldn't be against Caulker being that player. Wouldn't be top of my (realistic) wishlist, but I wouldn't mind at all. He's quite physical, but also good with the ball at his feet. Should in theory be able to form a good partnership with Vertonghen.

This could be the conclusion to most of my posts about potential new players, but Poch worked primarily with Lovren and Fonte this season. Some of us probably would have wanted to see the club take a chance on Lovren in the summer, but I don't think anyone wanted Fonte. As long as Poch gets players he thinks he can get integrated in his system I will be happy with that.

Assuming Lloris, Eriksen etc don't go on strike to force moves...

Urgent priorities:

New LB - because unless Poch is even better than I think he is, Rose isn't anywhere near good enough
New CB, with pace - because Dawson and Kaboul weren't even close to being good enough this season
A top class dribbler - because our forwards can't seem to work chances from good attacking positions. This could be a striker, a winger, or someone to play in the hole.

Would be nice:

Cover at RB - Don't think Naughton is going to make it tbh
A deep lying playmaker - Unless Poch feels Holtby/Bentaleb/Carroll can step up.
Backup goalkeeper - because Friedel won't be around forever
Another new CB
A new CF with genuine technical skill

Actively look to sell:

Chadli - Nowhere near good enough, even when he picked up form in the final third of the season. Maybe as a squad player for the early Europa League rounds.
Sigurdsson - I like Gylfi, but I don't see a place for him in a high pressing 4-3-3
Falque - Why is he still here?
Dawson - Has got worse every season for the past 4 years. Used to be one of my favourites but is just a liability now.
Livermore - Sad to lose a homegrown, but Hull is his level.
Kane - I'm not inclined to believe he'll make it at this level. Positional sense is very good, but his technical ability is poor and that will always stop him from making it as a top striker. Think our best bet is a season long loan with him impressing enough to generate a decent price tag.

Listen to offers:

Paulinho - Only reason he's not in the above category is because of the price tag we paid for him. If we get offered anything near that we should bite their hands off, as he doesn't have a single outstanding attribute to his game.
Rose - So clumsy and doesn't appear to have any footballing intelligence. If Poch can't improve him massively he's gotta go
BAE - Would be nice to have Benny back, but only as back-up
Lennon - Another favourite of mine, but he hasn't improved at all over the past 4 years, in fact he's got worse. Time to step up, or get rid.
Carroll - QPR fans I know don't seem to rate him massively. I'd like to see him given a chance as he looked good when he first broke through, but these sorts of players don't make it more often than not.
Naughton - Major doubts about whether he'll make it at this level
Kaboul - Injuries appear to have ****ed him. Think his contract is up at the end of the season anyway
Soldado - I don't think he'll be sold, but if we get a silly offer for him then we should take it

I'd love to see Hatem Ben Arfa at Spurs. I know he's not exactly known for the defensive side of his game, which Poch probably won't like. But given that his ability with the ball at his feet is just as good, if not better than Lallanas, he's only a year older, and would cost around a fifth of the price, he'd be a great signing. The last French winger we signed from Saudi Sportswashing Machine didn't do too badly did he?

Does anyone else share my reservations about Morata? I've watched him a few times on TV and he doesn't fill me with much confidence.

I don't wont any one new, lets just stick with what we have got and see what this manager can do with them. Put the money in the stadium fund and carry on.

Does anyone else share my reservations about Morata? I've watched him a few times on TV and he doesn't fill me with much confidence.

Seems very talented to me. Not sure if he's quite ready to be out starting striker next season, but certainly would be an interesting signing. He's looked a little bit out of place as a sub in a couple of CL games, but at 21 playing for Real Madrid as a sub in the Champions League he's supposed to look inferior to their other attacking players I think. If he didn't we wouldn't stand any chance of signing him.

For next season I would rather see Lukaku or Mandzukic for example, think they would be more likely to make an immediate impact. But not sure how realistic they are.

Based on a 4-2-3-1 with 2 players for each position and perhaps a couple of squad players on top of that:

GK: Lloris, Friedel, Archer

RB: Walker, Naughton
CB: Vlad, someone
CB: Vertonghen, someone
LB: Ben Davies, Zeki Fryers

CM: Sandro, Dembele
CM: Schneiderlin, Bentaleb

RM: Lennon, Townsend
CM: Lamela, Holtby
LM: Eriksen, Chadli

ST: Lukaku, Kane, someone

Still very undecided on centre back options and the third striker option. Limited myself to one Southampton player and not Shaw to stay somewhat realistic. Arguably one new centre back should partner Vertonghen, puts new players in the staring line-up to 4, definitely a bit more than I see as ideal. But in a way with a new manager I would rather get the changes out of the way sooner rather than later.

Kane can also cover attacking midfield positions, Holtby and possibly Chadli can also play deeper. None of the attacking midfield 3 are locked in those positions, I imagine significant fluidity.

Would mean 3 new first choice players and 3 "someone" players coming in, but all 3 first choice players have PL experience. Would free up considerable transfer fees from Dawson, Kaboul, Rose, Paulinho, Capoue, Ade, Sigurdsson, Soldado, Livermore. None of which I would be unhappy with staying, but for various reasons would also be alright with leaving. Haven't put in any numbers, but I'm guessing enough to cover those 6 incoming players should be there.

Other options if those players aren't gettable could be Banega for central midfield and Mandzukic for the striker role.

Seems very talented to me. Not sure if he's quite ready to be out starting striker next season, but certainly would be an interesting signing. He's looked a little bit out of place as a sub in a couple of CL games, but at 21 playing for Real Madrid as a sub in the Champions League he's supposed to look inferior to their other attacking players I think. If he didn't we wouldn't stand any chance of signing him.

For next season I would rather see Lukaku or Mandzukic for example, think they would be more likely to make an immediate impact. But not sure how realistic they are.

Morata got 8 goals in 23 Liga appearances last season, which is a reasonable ROR. However, from the games I saw, he seemed lost on the pitch to me - if we bring in another striker, I think we need someone whose characteristics are different to Soldado's, and Morata doesn't have the physicality or brawn to be that guy. For that reason I'd agree with your preference for Lukaku, or maybe even Benteke?

Morata got 8 goals in 23 Liga appearances last season, which is a reasonable ROR. However, from the games I saw, he seemed lost on the pitch to me - if we bring in another striker, I think we need someone whose characteristics are different to Soldado's, and Morata doesn't have the physicality or brawn to be that guy. For that reason I'd agree with your preference for Lukaku, or maybe even Benteke?

Just for clarity he had 3 league starts and 20 sub appearances. A return of 8 goals from that seems very good to me. But at the same time that's Real Madrid and he probably got some easy games and some game time when teams had already been beaten into submission so perhaps some of those goals were soft.

Morata is 1.90cm / 6 ft 3 in according to Wiki. He might not be Benteke strong, but he's no weakling either. I think he would be a much more effective target man than Soldado.

I don't wont any one new, lets just stick with what we have got and see what this manager can do with them. Put the money in the stadium fund and carry on.

I'm all for this.

People come on here, saying we should sell this or that player; players from Brazil's probably starting 11 - who do you think you are?!? We are Spurs - a club with history because recently it hasn't really been happening.

Our chairman had spent the last decade getting the club into a decent position. Our director of football filled the gaps in the squad, paid for by the world record Bale sale and we have just appointed a very well respected first team coach. Now is the time to see what these element can achieve, not to continue stirring the honeypot.

If we have glaring deficiencies as a team we should address them. But not before the new coach has even held a single training session.

I'm all for this.

People come on here, saying we should sell this or that player; players from Brazil's probably starting 11 - who do you think you are?!? We are Spurs - a club with history because recently it hasn't really been happening.

Our chairman had spent the last decade getting the club into a decent position. Our director of football filled the gaps in the squad, paid for by the world record Bale sale and we have just appointed a very well respected first team coach. Now is the time to see what these element can achieve, not to continue stirring the honeypot.

If we have glaring deficiencies as a team we should address them. But not before the new coach has even held a single training session.

The three main gaps we have in our squad are the ones that transfers fell through on last year - they are Moutinho, Willian and Coentrao shaped gaps. They've been identified and glaring for more than a year. Kaboul's injury and Friedel's age are two new factors that may come in to play.

I am generally very happy with our squad - it needs more rebalancing than upgrading. But if Poch can't see the issues from a mile off, all is probably lost already.

Back