• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The big C

Millsy, I won't hijack the thread more but just wanted to thank you for your very kind reply to my post. Really, much appreciated mate and I'm glad that you felt you could share your thoughts on this forum, best of luck to you and yours buddy.

Thingonaspring, hope your brothers' operation went well. Lee, hope you are keeping well with your father back home. Keep us updated.

thanks everybody for the messages. he is now out of hospital, with tissue sent off for analysis. initial indications are that it all went to plan, with no secondaries. will be a couple of weeks for confirmation though. it seems to have gone as well as it can, though, which we're all obviously very thankful for. this thread has been very sobering reading, and can count ourselves lucky (hopefully!) in that regard. particularly since my sister in law is also now 5 years clear.

thanks everybody for the messages. he is now out of hospital, with tissue sent off for analysis. initial indications are that it all went to plan, with no secondaries. will be a couple of weeks for confirmation though. it seems to have gone as well as it can, though, which we're all obviously very thankful for. this thread has been very sobering reading, and can count ourselves lucky (hopefully!) in that regard. particularly since my sister in law is also now 5 years clear.

I wish you and your family all the best.

I write this while sat next to my father's bed in hospital.

Finally and thankfully we seem to be coming to the end of his fight.
And by GHod did he fight.

He is sleeping now, and we don't believe he is in any pain or suffering.
I'm sure he knows we're here though and hopefully that is as much comfort to him at this time as it is to us.

I sincerely want to thank you all again, and I don't think I'll ever be able to thank you all as I'd like to, for giving me some kind of strength and courage to deal with this.

Every single one of you has made your loved ones that have left you proud, and I believe my father would have been proud of you all too, for helping his boy cope.

I think I've shed all the tears I'm going to shed now, but, if I do cry some more, I won't hide away. I'll wear my tears as a badge of honour. A sign that we faced cancer, we dealt with it everyday, we did not beat it, but we didn't let it have an easy win.

**** you cancer. You won this one, but you'll get yours in the long run.

Lee

I'm sure he knows we're here though and hopefully that is as much comfort to him at this time as it is to us.

I sincerely want to thank you all again, and I don't think I'll ever be able to thank you all as I'd like to, for giving me some kind of strength and courage to deal with this.

Every single one of you has made your loved ones that have left you proud, and I believe my father would have been proud of you all too, for helping his boy cope.

I think I've shed all the tears I'm going to shed now, but, if I do cry some more, I won't hide away. I'll wear my tears as a badge of honour. A sign that we faced cancer, we dealt with it everyday, we did not beat it, but we didn't let it have an easy win.

Lee

Really sorry to hear that mate.

Try to stay strong and focus on his memory. I have acted like a dingdong when my mother died and also when I got divorced, both times I regretted acting like a prize cnut later on, so although I am sure you wont take it from me getting angry won't help any.

You seem like a real good lad and I am sure your father was proud of you, be with your family and friends and remember the best of times, you will feel like a zombie for a bit the only thing that cures that is time I am afraid.

Will be thinking of you.

Lee

So sorry for you and your family pal, my thoughts are with you all at this difficult time..

Lee

Man this has made me really sad. I know exactly what you're going through and you have my deepest sympathy :(

Lee

Mate, I'm in bits reading this. You're attitude is just unbelievably fantastic. I don't know you, but I really feel like you will come through this horrible time and will regain positivity. People may pass mate, but memories carry on forever. Hold on to the happy times in your heart. Thinking of you and your family x

Lee

Thoughts are with you and your family, and the good times will stay with you forever. They never go away. Hold your head high and be proud of your Dad and everything he done to make you the person you are today.

My dad passed away peacefully in his sleep yesterday.
We knew he was waiting for something to let him go, turns out he was waiting to be alone with my brother and me. My mum had just gone home.

As prepared as I am, thanks to you all, (or thought I was) I'm not sure if I'm numb to it all?

All was said that needed to be. My only regret is he never spoke back. I know he couldn't, but I think I knew all the answers from him anyway.

Right now, I can't remember his voice, and that hurts, but my wife keeps telling me I will, and to be fair I believe her.

Thanks again to all of you.
For all your kind words.
For all your sympathies.

We may be faceless usernames during the day, but tonight you're all my family.

Thank you all so much.

My thoughts and prayers are with you mate, be strong for your mum, but don't be afraid to show weakness too. You will always treasure those great memories you have of your dad, they can never be taken away from you.

Having been through it can I offer you one small piece of advice, talk to your wife. It is amazing how strong my wife was when my dad passed even though she was involved in trying to resuscitate him as he died (he was brought into her A&E department while she was on night shift). I admit I tried to be the brave man who could cope with anything .... I was wrong. She was there for me, which helped me to be there for my mum.

As many have said, we don't know each other but mine and my families love to you and yours in these sad times

may your dad rest in peace.

My dad passed away peacefully in his sleep yesterday.
We knew he was waiting for something to let him go, turns out he was waiting to be alone with my brother and me. My mum had just gone home.

As prepared as I am, thanks to you all, (or thought I was) I'm not sure if I'm numb to it all?

All was said that needed to be. My only regret is he never spoke back. I know he couldn't, but I think I knew all the answers from him anyway.

Right now, I can't remember his voice, and that hurts, but my wife keeps telling me I will, and to be fair I believe her.

Thanks again to all of you.
For all your kind words.
For all your sympathies.

We may be faceless usernames during the day, but tonight you're all my family.

Thank you all so much.

Ah mate…so sorry…you have done a fantastic job in dealing with all angles of the situation to these eyes mate, you're a royal example and a leader…we'll keep visiting this thread as it's might is immense for all of us…sending my very very best wishes to you mate, stay strong. Steff...

Mate, my sincerest condolences to you and yours. Been there too many times to count now, mum,Dad, cousins uncles. It will be a whirlwind of emotions for the foreseeable future. Go with them. Nature will show you the way, don't fight the tears. You WILL remember your Dads voice I promise.
All the best fella.
Nick

Benny, bless you mate. I've just put some money i had in my charitable giving account towards cancer research in your Dads memory.

I'm so sorry to hear about this. I've not been around on here quite so much, and didn't come back to check this thread until now. Which makes me feel somewhat guilty. As others have said, your attitude towards it has come across as being unbelievable in such difficult times. My thoughts are with you.

From my brothers side of things, unfortunately the tissue analysis came back and the cancer has spread to the lymph nodes. Not entirely sure what that means at this stage, but his appointment for early next month has been brought forward to today. So will find out more later on this afternoon. He's in for "multiple tests" with "multiple people".

I'm so sorry to hear about this. I've not been around on here quite so much, and didn't come back to check this thread until now. Which makes me feel somewhat guilty. As others have said, your attitude towards it has come across as being unbelievable in such difficult times. My thoughts are with you.

From my brothers side of things, unfortunately the tissue analysis came back and the cancer has spread to the lymph nodes. Not entirely sure what that means at this stage, but his appointment for early next month has been brought forward to today. So will find out more later on this afternoon. He's in for "multiple tests" with "multiple people".

He might just need immediate work and they might just be able to take some of the lymph nodes out before a course of chemo & radiotherapy. Hoping the best for you all! Good luck mate…if you feel the sense, get a second opinion and…TRY to force him into the Royal Marsden if at all possible...

Sorry to hear about this, mate...thoughts with you, your brother and your family.
Thinking positive thoughts for him later today

Sorry to hear about this, mate...thoughts with you, your brother and your family.
Thinking positive thoughts for him later today

thank you, much appreciated - good to see you're still about, too :)

The news is a lot better than it could be- although the cancer has spread to the lymphs it has not gone any further it seems. He will have to have some radioactive Iodine treatment in July/August and will then have annual checks but after the treatment, that should be him in the clear. Though we did think that the first time too, so I guess it's a waiting game still...!

Wow, Just read through all this, I'm a lurker really, and am rarely shaken to post. One of my very best mates is currently suffering with a terminal strain of this horrible disease. It's been very tough to see him go through what he has, and personally to go through it as a loved one, seeing his loved ones too. He's still fighting, and will do until the end, such is the man.

It's a real 'leveller' of a disease, and is so sad that we haven't (or don't - a whole other discussion) been able to do more to battle it.

We have outlived his prognosis, and we have (as a group of friends) achieved great things while he suffers. This year (March) we even took him snowboarding, straight after his 7th pass of chemo. It was amazing seeing him snow board, even 1 year after he was supposed to have passed. Having lost over 5 stone, and needing oxygen and many steroids we did 3 full days. It was wonderful, and another way to not let his disease beat the man.

A huge arm around anyone suffering or having lost someone in this thread. Here is a link to my friends site, he has a bucket list, it is very sad reading, and if I am not allowed to post this them mods please remove. http://www.gofundme.com/8bz8ow

i've struggled to open this thread for a bit to be honest, the ****ing thing has reared its head in my family again

not that you would wish it on anybody but there is something to knowing you are not alone, thanks again to everyone willing to share their stories

Back