• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

Re: Northumberland Development Project

Concert venues, much more the football matches, seem to require car parking.

Can you imagine tweeny kids and their parents going to watch One Direction at New WHL, then doing the 3 mile walk to Seven Sisters for the tube?

10 mins to Northumberland Park Station

Never really took notice of it before, but a certain little local business isn't averse to making a few bob on a matchday, by letting a few Tottenham Hotspur related stalls setup on their forecourt.

I heard an interview with ... I think, the owner of the 49ers. He was talking abut NFL expansion plans and how they would play three competitive games in London next year. He was talking about how they felt support would grow in London and that they hoped they could continue to add games. It was very much a gradual approach.

To me, this approach argues against any immediate NFL franchise in London, certainly on a time-frame that would affect our stadium. We would have to build a dual use stadium to entice the NFL rather than them helping us provide a home for a franchise.

As much as I am a fan of getting the most out of a new stadium build. I would hate it if they made it dual use for the NFL. But not for the reasons you think. I love the NFL and its great to be able to see real games at Wembley. That said, if you move it to a new White Hart Lane it will go down the tubes like the NFL Europe did which also moved to WHL and then died a death in England.

People who support the NFL invariably also support a Premier League team. Moving any NFL to Tottenham would cause Division. It needs to stay in Wembley for the sake of us keeping those games, the support it receives and Wembley as an icon and area. Tottenham is not very appealing for euro fans to visit compared to Wembley.

Someone also mentioned that the Bills will go for sale soon. Well if they do they wont be coming to the UK. They have long been rumoured to be moving to Canada. Probably Toronto. With a Canadian team and maybe eventually a London team it will become more of a worldwide game. The Union Jags ;) are certainly more likely to be the one that gets moved. They have a small fan base and their stadium is half empty all the time. Making them ripe to be sold and moved.

with all that said, A dual use for the stadium like Concerts would be good.

The Buffalo Bills will be sold by October in an auction. While it would seem logical to move them into the far wealthier neighbouring city of Toronto, there are some who feel that the optics of such a move will create a negative backlash and cost the NFL fans in the region. Moving the Bills to another location - and they will move as Buffalo and western New York region are in a sad state financially - and moving another team into Toronto would, in an odd way, have a less antagonizing effect on the Bills current fan base and help to retain the region's current NFL fans as customers for a Toronto team.

How does this mesh with Spurs?

Toronto FC are owned by Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment with ex-AEG honcho Tim Leiweke at the helm. Remember him from Spurs bid in the Olympic stadium deal? They are in a commercial arrangement with Spurs. MLSE are immensely wealthy owning NHL, NBA and MLS franchises plus other sports, media, business and property holdings. They've been retained by Levy to assist in commercial aspects (securing naming rights?) of the stadium project. MLSE brought Leiweke on board to take their business to another level. Since they're already worth billions and earn mega-millions annually, the next level is to become part of a NFL operation. By NFL regs, they can't actually own a team. But they can build and operate the stadium.

From what I hear from within MLSE, the deal is that if they help Spurs sort out their stadium deal, the NFL sets up shop there. Wembley can't accommodate a full NFL season, Twickenham's out, Emirates aren't interested, the Olympic stadium is a pooch for sightlines, so Mega Lane it will be. It's being re-designed for that purpose. It's smaller capacity isn't an issue as it's easier to fill week-in, week-out and presents a better image for the all important TV gods. The payback is that the NFL guides a franchise into Toronto.

The Union Jags has a cute ring to it and it seems the logical choice to move to London, given Jags owner Shahid Khan also owns Fulham. But it wouldn't matter where they move to since it will be an upgrade on Jacksonville. But it might matter greatly where Buffalo Bills move to.

The Buffalo Bills will be sold by October in an auction. While it would seem logical to move them into the far wealthier neighbouring city of Toronto, there are some who feel that the optics of such a move will create a negative backlash and cost the NFL fans in the region. Moving the Bills to another location - and they will move as Buffalo and western New York region are in a sad state financially - and moving another team into Toronto would, in an odd way, have a less antagonizing effect on the Bills current fan base and help to retain the region's current NFL fans as customers for a Toronto team.

Toronto FC are owned by Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment with ex-AEG honcho Tim Leiweke at the helm. Remember him from Spurs bid in the Olympic stadium deal? They are in a commercial arrangement with Spurs. MLSE are immensely wealthy owning NHL, NBA and MLS franchises plus other sports, media, business and property holdings. They've been retained by Levy to assist in commercial aspects (securing naming rights?) of the stadium project. MLSE brought Leiweke on board to take their business to another level. Since they're already worth billions and earn mega-millions annually, the next level is to become part of a NFL operation. By NFL regs, they can't actually own a team. But they can build and operate the stadium.

From what I hear from within MLSE, the deal is that if they help Spurs sort out their stadium deal, the NFL sets up shop there. Wembley can't accommodate a full NFL season, Twickenham's out, Emirates aren't interested, the Olympic stadium is a pooch for sightlines, so Mega Lane it will be. It's being re-designed for that purpose. It's smaller capacity isn't an issue as it's easier to fill week-in, week-out and presents a better image for the all important TV gods. The payback is that the NFL guides a franchise into Toronto.

The Union Jags has a cute ring to it and it seems the logical choice to move to London, given Jags owner Shahid Khan also owns Fulham. But it wouldn't matter where they move to since it will be an upgrade on Jacksonville. But it might matter greatly where Buffalo Bills move to.

Excellent and really interesting post. The stadium will be built, no doubt, and is being fast-tracked for '17/18, so what you've said makes total sense.

Great post. Thanks for that. Very informative.

Will be interesting to see how much of that finally transpires.

Hope you don't mind that I posted it (credited) to the skyscrapercity thread.

Interesting insights, good post.

But IMO the NFL are completely deluded - as they have been for 30 years - if they think American Football will ever gain a substantial following in Europe. They've tried over and over again and the dial on interest has hardly moved in decades. I simply do not see that changing.

I'm sure they could fill a Neu WHL 8 or 10 times a season or whatever it is, but the idea that there is a mass audience who'll embrace the game if they just get enough exposure to it seems like somewhat characteristic American hubris. They do tend to think that any country that isn't America wants to be America, and that we're all just gagging for American light to shine in our dark corner of the world and that we'll gobble it up when it comes. I love America and Americans, amazing country, great people, but this does seem to be a serious blind spot in their understanding of the outside world.

i think a London based NFL 'franchise' would succeed.

there's probably enough over weight 40 year old virgins who still live with their parents to fill the demand for tickets for a full season.

i hear what you're saying chancer but i think the sport has a growing a uk audience, there's a nationwide amateur league that is growing every year and the Wembley games sell out double quick every time they go on sale. i defo think there's a market for a London NFL franchise and i think if we were to get in with the first people to give it a go then we'd probably do pretty well out of it financially. not a fan of the sport myself, but i think the novelty/uniqueness of being linked with a London NFL outfit is quite appealing, for some reason

I think people might be surprised how much of a following NFL has in the UK. I know loads of guys who are avid fans. Also it will give Spurs as a brand further exposure in the USA. Can see many benefits in this potential idea.

i think a London based NFL 'franchise' would succeed.

there's probably enough over weight 40 year old virgins who still live with their parents to fill the demand for tickets for a full season.

i hear what you're saying chancer but i think the sport has a growing a uk audience, there's a nationwide amateur league that is growing every year and the Wembley games sell out double quick every time they go on sale. i defo think there's a market for a London NFL franchise and i think if we were to get in with the first people to give it a go then we'd probably do pretty well out of it financially. not a fan of the sport myself, but i think the novelty/uniqueness of being linked with a London NFL outfit is quite appealing, for some reason

What ever happened to the motor racing team we were in with? I remember them wheeling a car out one pre season game and the guy next to me getting so angry at no signings but a fcuking car he threw his burger at it and got asked to leave by a steward. He was massively ****ed though.

Do we ever make money from these tie ins?

What ever happened to the motor racing team we were in with? I remember them wheeling a car out one pre season game and the guy next to me getting so angry at no signings but a fcuking car he threw his burger at it and got asked to leave by a steward.

:ross:

This is why I love Tottenham

How successful does an nfl franchise have to be? I think wembley sells out because it's only once or twice a year so if you do want to go to a game that's your only chance. If 'new whl' doesn't sell out but is 3/4 full every game is that a failure?

I googled to see how many NFL games a team might face in a season and it came up as 16? surely that would only be 8 home games a season?!

Also I have no idea when an NFL season runs.. how would it clash with premier league games? is it a 'summer sport' or a 'winter sport'?

I know all the answers to these questions as I am really clever and well informed but I thought I would ask to avoid the embarrassment of other posters :-"

In reply to 7percent: the NFL seasons starts in August and runs into December. Then the playoffs start which go on until sometime in January. If a team makes the post season they might play more than 8 regular season home games. Home field advantage depends how they did during the season; the better you did during the season the more post season games you get to play at home. The maximum number of post season game (I think) would be four:wild card, division, conference and then super bowl. The super bowl site is set before thevseason starts I think.

Also NFL games are mostly played on Sundays (so as not to clash with college gridiron football). Though they do play Monday night and Thursday night games well.

All these dates are approximate. I am an American, but I really hate gridiron football.

Interesting insights, good post.

But IMO the NFL are completely deluded - as they have been for 30 years - if they think American Football will ever gain a substantial following in Europe. They've tried over and over again and the dial on interest has hardly moved in decades. I simply do not see that changing.

I'm sure they could fill a Neu WHL 8 or 10 times a season or whatever it is, but the idea that there is a mass audience who'll embrace the game if they just get enough exposure to it seems like somewhat characteristic American hubris. They do tend to think that any country that isn't America wants to be America, and that we're all just gagging for American light to shine in our dark corner of the world and that we'll gobble it up when it comes. I love America and Americans, amazing country, great people, but this does seem to be a serious blind spot in their understanding of the outside world.

The NFL has never brought a full commitment to Europe. The World League of American Football was a minor league that was never going to sell. Americans didn't watch it and American players weren't keen to play in it.

The series of games that Wembley has hosted has been a tremendous success because the games matter, they count in the standings and have a bearing on playoff qualification. They're played full out and it shows.

It gathers all sorts of eyeballs. The fans who have attended the games aren't just English fans. There are staunch fans of the game in Europe as well, especially Germany. It also has the abilityl to attract strong, new corporate sponsors since the ticket sales and TV numbers are encouraging. The response from US fans and from players has been generally positive, too, and those are important considerations. All these aspects have the NFL very excited about a London team and this is a very successful, very wealthy league that doesn't act on a whim. There are a lot of other possibilities but it's important just to let this one franchise get settled first. It represents a huge boost for Spurs stadium project and for Tottenham in general.

Hey, the nay-sayers may be right. The whole thing may eventually fizzle out. So that leaves a fine new stadium and Spurs to play in it. I'm struggling to see a downside.

Last edited:

Interesting you mention Europe there mate - cheap flights and easy access would potentially make 'London NFL' a team for European fans to latch on to as well.

How big the sport itself becomes in the UK because of this i can't really hazard a guess but the more i think about it the more i think the demand is here already.

Spurs have been working hard to build our exposure in the US. That is why i was doubly surprised Bale was sold as Bale was the poster boy of Spurs in the US and I can only think that Levy felt they really had no choice but to sell this summer.

But anyway, the focus of our recent marketing has been the US and increasing ties with American sports and the American market. We have a US tour planned this summer, I think this all ties in and there have been rumours of massive investment coming from AEG into the club for the last couple of summers now.

I even remember Alan Brazil coming out on Talksport the summer Redknapp left and AVB was appointed that the "new direction" the club had wanted to go in was because he had heard that huge investment was being lined up to go into Spurs very shortly and the club wanted to restructure and realign their long-term strategy as a result.

Last summer there were rumours that Lewis had agreed to loan the club £50m for pure investment in players (which obviously got made redundant by the Bale sale), but if true maybe that's because he knows we're about to come into a lot of money?

Spurs have been working hard to build our exposure in the US. That is why i was doubly surprised Bale was sold as Bale was the poster boy of Spurs in the US and I can only think that Levy felt they really had no choice but to sell this summer.

But anyway, the focus of our recent marketing has been the US and increasing ties with American sports and the American market. We have a US tour planned this summer, I think this all ties in and there have been rumours of massive investment coming from AEG into the club for the last couple of summers now.

I even remember Alan Brazil coming out on Talksport the summer Redknapp left and AVB was appointed that the "new direction" the club had wanted to go in was because he had heard that huge investment was being lined up to go into Spurs very shortly and the club wanted to restructure and realign their long-term strategy as a result.

Last summer there were rumours that Lewis had agreed to loan the club £50m for pure investment in players (which obviously got made redundant by the Bale sale), but if true maybe that's because he knows we're about to come into a lot of money?

yeah, Christian The Stud Bale as he is known in the US :lol:

Back