• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager v.2

Who do you want?

• Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Mauro Pochettino

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • Roberto Martinez

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Carlo Ancelotti

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Rafa Benitez

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm a little worried about our seemingly narrow approach. There are many interesting candidates out there in the smaller leagues and even in the Championship, but we seem focused on getting either a big name or at least someone with PL experience.

4 titles in a row at Ajax, he's mentioned in the past that he will look for bigger things eventually. I think there's a real chance he'll be looking for a move somewhere this summer. Unless Barca draw him out of their big hat of random managerial targets (although he's probably overqualified) I don't see many clubs bigger than ours giving him a chance coming straight out of Holland.

Not a certain of course, but I think we would be well in with a shout if we went for him. He's even specifically mentioned our name in the past as a club he could see himself managing in the future. http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2014/02/07/4601936/de-boer-i-would-like-to-coach-liverpool-or-tottenham?ICID=AR

If van Gaal gets the United job that's most likely all the top PL jobs set for the summer other than us. Barca might, but probably won't, go for him. Real won't, neither will Atletico. Bayern are set, as are Dortmund. Whose left? PSG perhaps, I don't see it...

I think we're much more attractive than some people think. Of course we can't compete with the truly massive clubs like United, but there's only a limited amount of those clubs around and a ton of managers.

All good points. Would love to see him come....

there is no long term in football....moyes and his 6 year contract proves that, means nothing. Utd will be looking to the next 3 years and LVG can fulfil this

Just cant see Man U appointing a manager who they know will only be around for say 3 years. Despite what has happened with Moyes, they dont have Real Madrid, Cheatski or Man C's hire and fire culture and they benefit massively from this in terms of their reputation. Clearly LVG would take Man U over us but would Utd appoint LVG if they could get say Simeone or Guardiola? Not so sure....

I dont think we're in a bad position though even if they do take LVG - there arent going to be dozens of top jobs available this summer and whether we end up with LVG, De Boer, Allegri or Ancelotti, we'll be in a better position than we are now

I'm a little worried about our seemingly narrow approach. There are many interesting candidates out there in the smaller leagues and even in the Championship, but we seem focused on getting either a big name or at least someone with PL experience.

Agreed. I think we've missed the boat on younger up and coming managers with PL experience, Rodgers and Martinez is gone and Lambert hasn't done anywhere near as well as I thought he would.

There are lots of good managers out them I'm sure, we need to be giving ourselves the best chance of picking one of them up.

We need someone proven in a decent league. Levy would be crucified if he appointed another unproven guy after AVB and TS. That leads you to LVG, Allegri and Ancelotti, whilst you can also make a case for FDB given he's done it for 3-4 years in Holland (whereas AVB did it for 1 year in Portugal)

Agreed. I think we've missed the boat on younger up and coming managers with PL experience, Rodgers and Martinez is gone and Lambert hasn't done anywhere near as well as I thought he would.

There are lots of good managers out them I'm sure, we need to be giving ourselves the best chance of picking one of them up.

For every Rodgers and Martinez though, there's people like Lambert and Laudrup who have been ok at one club or for one season and then failed. And for everyone one of them there's a dozen like Sherwood, Ince, Tony Adams, Shearer, etc etc etc

We need a proven guy

Just cant see Man U appointing a manager who they know will only be around for say 3 years. Despite what has happened with Moyes, they dont have Real Madrid, Cheatski or Man C's hire and fire culture and they benefit massively from this in terms of their reputation. Clearly LVG would take Man U over us but would Utd appoint LVG if they could get say Simeone or Guardiola? Not so sure....

I dont think we're in a bad position though even if they do take LVG - there arent going to be dozens of top jobs available this summer and whether we end up with LVG, De Boer, Allegri or Ancelotti, we'll be in a better position than we are now

Why not? Its ideal for Giggs to be his no.2 and groomed in the same way some of us (clearly far from all) were hoping Sherwood would be groomed by LVG....

We need someone proven in a decent league. Levy would be crucified if he appointed another unproven guy after AVB and TS. That leads you to LVG, Allegri and Ancelotti, whilst you can also make a case for FDB given he's done it for 3-4 years in Holland (whereas AVB did it for 1 year in Portugal)

Given how narrowminded a lot of the fanbase is, that is another worry. Even Allegri will be written off as another Santini and people will be jumping to all kinds of idiotic conclusions based on zero actual knowledge of what's been happening.

For every Rodgers and Martinez though, there's people like Lambert and Laudrup who have been ok at one club or for one season and then failed. And for everyone one of them there's a dozen like Sherwood, Ince, Tony Adams, Shearer, etc etc etc

We need a proven guy

You can't begin to compare Rodgers, Martínez and Lambert with sherwood, shearer and Adams.

We ve also hired proven managers in the past. Obviously the more proven, the higher the chance of success but they have also failed.

It's about the right fit.

:eek:

Just had this emailed to me . I think the picture needs clicking on, to enlarge .

It's not funny and not for the faint hearted :eek:

10247410_542225075898452_2767469118844266115_n.jpg

yeah but only because they had the freakish Ferguson in charge with all his success year after year. Its easy to have continuation when one man is delivering success on a yearly basis. After sir matt busby was sacked Utd had 5 managers in 12 years, thats almost Levyesque;)

Stobart seems to favour Tuchel and thinks that if he got an interview he would talk himself into the job.

I agree with you that our approach, should we fail with van Gaal should be wide and well considered.

Wasn't that true about Rodgers for Liverpool too though?

Pochettino has spent his managerial so far at Espanyol in La Liga and Southampton in the Premiership. Not exactly places where managers win trophies regularly.

?

True and he look like he may have something about him, but what were his league finishes then? He has spent money this season much more than Rodgers did at Swansea ... And Rodgers teams were easier on the eye.

Stobart seems to favour Tuchel and thinks that if he got an interview he would talk himself into the job.

I agree with you that our approach, should we fail with van Gaal should be wide and well considered.

as long as he brings his laptop and a strong powerpoint presentation....

True and he look like he may have something about him, but what were his league finishes then? He has spent money this season much more than Rodgers did at Swansea ... And Rodgers teams were easier on the eye.

Rodgers took over a Swansea team that was a lot more settled in a style of play I think.

I agree that Southampton could perhaps have done even better this season, and you're right that they did invest quite heavily. Still though, 8th in their second season back in the PL and in Pochettino's first full season. I think that's more than respectable. Looking at the table all teams ahead of them are significantly bigger with way more settled squads that (arguably bar Everton) have significantly larger budgets than Southampton.

Why not? Its ideal for Giggs to be his no.2 and groomed in the same way some of us (clearly far from all) were hoping Sherwood would be groomed by LVG....

How often do you see situations where a manager develops his replacement? One of those things much talked about in the press but rarely happens, like buying two players in one deal or swap deals

How often do you see situations where a manager develops his replacement? One of those things much talked about in the press but rarely happens, like buying two players in one deal or swap deals

It's incredibly hard to go from coach/assistant, where you're mates with the players, to being the head honcho and commanding respect from the same group.

Back