• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Glenn Hoddle - time to come home?

Would you like Hoddle to manage Spurs again?

• No, thank you.

Votes: 37 77.1%
  • Yes, I want him in, whether it's now or at the end of the season.

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Yes, I want him in the future, but I want Sherwood to continue managing next season.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Yes, I want him in the future, but I want LVG to manage us next season.

Votes: 7 14.6%

• Total voters
I wouldn't have been unhappy if he had taken over instead of Sherwood for this season but now I don't see the point.

I wouldn't have been unhappy if he had taken over instead of Sherwood for this season but now I don't see the point.

benefit of hindsight.
if hoddle had come on and we're not better than AVB, everyone would be calling for sherwood to replace him!

People say that Hoddle is 'lost to the game'. My question is why? I know he was working in Spain for a while but if he was that good a manager he hasn't he got another decent job somewhere? I don't remember him being linked with Everton or Liverpool when they had vacancies (and were in a similar position to us now) so the only reason he is being linked with Spurs is because he is a club legend.

You see, Hoddle coming back would concern and excite me.

It would excite me in that his team in his first season played some of the best football i've ever seen at Spurs. It was a 3-5-2, with Sheringham the main creative force dropping into midfield behind a targetman (normally Les Ferdinand, althrough occasionally Steffen Iversen). There was a goal-scoring threat operating in the hole to make late runs (normally Poyet but sometimes Leonhardsen) and anchored by two hardworking 'water carriers' (Freund & Sherwood). The two hard working wing-backs both had lots of stamina to get up and down and a good final ball (Ziege & Simon Davies). We had two strong centre-backs (King & Dean Richards) and a sweeper who could play football (Bunjevcevic)

..............Ferdinand.....Sheringham

..........................Poyet

Ziege......Sherwood.......Freund.......Davies

...............King..............Richards

......................Bunjevcevic

.......................Sullivan

Hoddle had a tiny budget while at Spurs, as ENIC had only just taken charge and hadn't increased the clubs revenue streams at that stage.

He made do with older players, but in his second season, they were all a year older and we'd just missed out on Europe. He was only given the budget to buy two free transfers the next summer (Jamie Redknapp & Milenko Acimovic) and Robbie Keane on a reduced deal from Leeds.

I think if he'd had the budget to replace some of the players in that formation with younger versions, he'd have been a success. The team just didn't have the legs in the end and had too many average players who weren't old (but these were mostly inherited from previous squads).

It wasn't until after Hoddle's time that the club started seriously investing money in the playing squad and that saddens me.

At the same time, i'd be concerned that he's been out of football for a long long time and things have changed a lot since then.

I also think if he was going to be given the job again, it had to be in the 'trial' period that followed AVB's sacking. Giving him the job permanently at the start of a summer is too big a gamble for us i'm afraid.

You see, Hoddle coming back would concern and excite me.

It would excite me in that his team in his first season played some of the best football i've ever seen at Spurs. It was a 3-5-2, with Sheringham the main creative force dropping into midfield behind a targetman (normally Les Ferdinand, althrough occasionally Steffen Iversen). There was a goal-scoring threat operating in the hole to make late runs (normally Poyet but sometimes Leonhardsen) and anchored by two hardworking 'water carriers' (Freund & Sherwood). The two hard working wing-backs both had lots of stamina to get up and down and a good final ball (Ziege & Simon Davies). We had two strong centre-backs (King & Dean Richards) and a sweeper who could play football (Bunjevcevic)

..............Ferdinand.....Sheringham

..........................Poyet

Ziege......Sherwood.......Freund.......Davies

...............King..............Richards

......................Bunjevcevic

.......................Sullivan

Hoddle had a tiny budget while at Spurs, as ENIC had only just taken charge and hadn't increased the clubs revenue streams at that stage.

He made do with older players, but in his second season, they were all a year older and we'd just missed out on Europe. He was only given the budget to buy two free transfers the next summer (Jamie Redknapp & Milenko Acimovic) and Robbie Keane on a reduced deal from Leeds.

I think if he'd had the budget to replace some of the players in that formation with younger versions, he'd have been a success. The team just didn't have the legs in the end and had too many average players who weren't old (but these were mostly inherited from previous squads).

It wasn't until after Hoddle's time that the club started seriously investing money in the playing squad and that saddens me.

At the same time, i'd be concerned that he's been out of football for a long long time and things have changed a lot since then.

I also think if he was going to be given the job again, it had to be in the 'trial' period that followed AVB's sacking. Giving him the job permanently at the start of a summer is too big a gamble for us i'm afraid.

This is where I'm at at present. I also don't think Levy will have forgotten how difficult Hoddle was to work with - both for himself and for the other staff.

I think in the mid-to-late 90s he was one of the most progressive coaches in the world.

I feel sorry that his spell in charge of us coincided with having such crap players.

But for me he's been out of the game too long and things have moved on so much that I think he'd be another Dalglish.

I would love to see him as England U21 manager though.

For once I agree with GB. Especially the bottom bit, but Hoddle's already said he wouldn't take the U21 job as he's already managed the senior team. In some ways I understand that, in others I think he should take the first job that comes to get back in managment.

benefit of hindsight.
if hoddle had come on and we're not better than AVB, everyone would be calling for Sherwood to replace him!

That's true I suppose, except maybe Hoddle's remit might have been different and thus the expectation also different. If it was clear he was just a caretaker for the season then folks would be more pragmatic about his appointment. If he had been doing OK or badly but not a complete disaster (like Sherwood for example) then I think the Spurs faithful would have been willing to go a bit easier on him because of his past association with the club.

Would have loved to see him come in as caretaker manager when AVB left, on the understanding that it was a near certainty he'd be replaced after the world cup. I certainly don't think he'd have done any worse than Tim Sherwood. And maybe, just maybe, something miraculous would have happened. Probably not, but I felt it was worth a shot. And as I say, I don't think he'd have done worse than Sherwood.

That said, I don't think he's worth the risk of appointing as a full-time manager at the start of a season with all the weight of expectation that would bring. He has been out for too long, and a six month caretaker position to steady the ship (with the outside possibility of a miracle) is a different thing entirely to a permanent managerial position at a club that wants to be challenging for the top three or four.

Would have loved to see him come in as caretaker manager when AVB left, on the understanding that it was a near certainty he'd be replaced after the world cup. I certainly don't think he'd have done any worse than Tim Sherwood. And maybe, just maybe, something miraculous would have happened. Probably not, but I felt it was worth a shot. And as I say, I don't think he'd have done worse than Sherwood.

That said, I don't think he's worth the risk of appointing as a full-time manager at the start of a season with all the weight of expectation that would bring. He has been out for too long, and a six month caretaker position to steady the ship (with the outside possibility of a miracle) is a different thing entirely to a permanent managerial position at a club that wants to be challenging for the top three or four.

This ...

A youth team or reserve team role might be a good place to keep him involved with club

you dont know what you're talking about IMO

you cant possibly know what this man knows and just because you are biased against the English contingent doesnt mean that you can assume that everyone local fits in with your thoery about their level of knowledge about the game

My complaint was that he's been out of the game too long. That's all. It was 8 years ago that he got sacked by Wolves and he's not worked in the game since.

Keith Burkinshaw is still in decent health, but you wouldn't give him the job back now, would you? Things move on.

GB this is not meant to get at you but did you ever see Glenn play? This man was light years ahead of his time as a player , someone who could stand toe to toe with the current greats and IMO someone whose boots even Modric was not fit to lace as a playmaker. So he is not cut from the same cloth as the traditional cloggers English football produces. He is more intelligent and able to adapt to the modern game far more easily. His problem is man management.

Everything you've said applies equally to Dalglish.

My issue certainly isn't to do with Hoddle's approach. Come on Hoddle and AVB are incredibly similar. It's because the game has evolved and he's been a spectator.

Hoddle coming back as manager would be a terrible decision. It would still be a far, far better decision than employing YTS though.

Back