• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

PC HDD help required please

CCleaner will help a bit.
Malwarebytes, yes, if you have some nasty shizzle on the laptop.

As your laptop is 4/5 years old I am guessing there is a chance it is still XP, if so then ssd is a deffo no go imo.
Again, if XP, then the only true way really to get it back to normal would be a fresh install really. If Vista then fire and magnets tbh.

Personally, a fresh install and if possible avoiding all the bloatware would be best.

Thanks, it is Win7 with an i3 core, but all I really use it for is to save photos and as a Chromebook

I ran Ccleaner and Malwarebytes, both were really easy to use, even for an idiot like me.
I just clicked scan, fix, scan, fix, scan, fix, scan, fix, scan, fix even for the Registry stuff and it seemed to do it no problem, nothing seems broken yet...!

On the start up programme section you should do a screen grab of what is starting up, then like I said go and google what each thing is. You might have old software running like norton that you can switch off. Of course then uninstall that...

Even host the screen grab at tinypic then link it on here and I am sure people will have a look for you.

Seems like Flash drives go up to 64GB and stuff so that would do... but they are so small I could just lose it one day.
So I'm tempted to get an external hard drive such as this one
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elements-Ex...8&qid=1389733789&sr=1-1&keywords=data+storage

I don't need 2TB but I probably will as file formats change / data quality increases over the next few years, once I save more videos in particular...

Not sure if you've pulled the trigger on buying one of these yet, but if not I'd recommend that you get a USB 3.0 hard drive, and also get a 'portable' version over the 'desktop' version. This way you won't be stuck with ridiculously slow transfer rates in the future, USB 3 is backwards compatible with USB 2 if that's all your laptop has. Also you don't need to have a power cable for it, it'll power itself via USB so it's one less cable to keep track of. Something like WD, Seagate or Samsung.

I don't want to start a new thread so i'll borrow this one.

What's the best way to recover corrupt files from a memory card?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

You can try Recuva though it requires that you still have a valid partition table to work.

Sandisk do a good program for recovering pictures/videos, normal files you'd need something a bit more clever. I tend to use RescuePRO Deluxe - plenty of torrents around.

Didn't want to start a new thread.. Just confirmation on something really.

my computer is over 4 years old now and I was thinking I will this month start upgrading.

my chip is Intel with a socket 1366.

am I right in saying that I am pretty ****ed in using this chip with any new super duppa motherboard. I am pretty much stuck with my current motherboard and any top of the range ones built for the 1366 socket.

The 1366 socket is no longer in use, so you won't find new cpu's that'll fit. So you'll have to uppgrade both the mb and cpu if you want to uppgrade. 1366 was the "enthusiast" grade socket at the time, and the socket 2011v3 is it's current version.

I wouldn't recomend that though unless you're doing very heavy workloads on it, or have lots of money to spare. For regular use like gaming and normal pc use you'll be just as well of getting the 1150 socket. You can probably still use your old memory and graphics card. It all depends on your usage.

Thought as much.

I'm going to be upgrading the graphic card first. Not too big an upgrade. Prob get a gtx 760 like I got my nephew. My GTX 470 gave up just before Christmas. Got 4.5yrs out of it. Computer used easily 12hrs a day.

i believe you can get away with new graphic cards on PCIe 3.0 motherboards and use them on motherboards that have PCIe 2.0.

Ok.. Following on from this, on research I read that a new card was coming in the form of the GTX 960 whilst initial window shopping. This week the card was released and having held out due to the hard availability of the 760 I was wondering what people thought of the 960.

I am specifically worried about the 128-bit. Why have they done this? Why not go to 256?

Reading reviews from bloggers I see reviews have been so-so, whereby many talk about it particularly being for upgrades from old cards. Those that leave messages on the comments of these bloggers have been far more hateful towards the card.

Is the card really that bad! For the same price (170) is there better?

Back