• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

Can't help but feel disappointed that JD never really lived up to his potential with Spurs. He could have done so much more. I'll wait until it's confirmed though

Incredible, really that some feel like that. 140 goals for the club, 20 goals for his country, and our all time leading European scorer is a pretty remarkable set of achievements for a player who was a somewhat limited player and not always first choice. In my opinion, he's an absolute legend at the club, and he seems like a great guy who was well-liked by his teammates. For personal reasons, I'm sad to see him go. For club reasons, it's the right move and the right time for JD to move on to something new. Looking forward to seeing him score hatfuls of goals in MLS and maybe even sneak himself on that plane to Brazil.

Though he was frustrating at times, he's proper Spurs and someone who I will always have tons of fond memories of. In today's game, there aren't many players who spend 10+ years at the club, and players like him, Daws, and Aaron will always be Spurs.

Incredible, really that some feel like that. 140 goals for the club, 20 goals for his country, and our all time leading European scorer is a pretty remarkable set of achievements for a player who was a somewhat limited player and not always first choice. In my opinion, he's an absolute legend at the club, and he seems like a great guy who was well-liked by his teammates. For personal reasons, I'm sad to see him go. For club reasons, it's the right move and the right time for JD to move on to something new. Looking forward to seeing him score hatfuls of goals in MLS and maybe even sneak himself on that plane to Brazil.

Though he was frustrating at times, he's proper Spurs and someone who I will always have tons of fond memories of. In today's game, there aren't many players who spend 10+ years at the club, and players like him, Daws, and Aaron will always be Spurs.

Lol it was hardly a criticism. He is a club legend. He could have done even more. He was capable

Thanks for your loyal serive to the club JD. You will always be a part of Spurs history and rightly so. You leave us with some fantastic memories.

What shocks me most is why the hell Toronto. He could have been snapped up by at least 10 other premiership sides and got regular games and goals and got back into the England side.

Tomorrow he has effectively retired from international football.

Defoe was a very good player for us over the years but he never really evolved from being a head down shoot-on-sight player and was not quite prolific enough in the league to be considered in the same class as the best forwards that I saw play for us such as Lineker, Klinsmann, Berbatov and Sheringham.

Wish him all the best in MLS and am sure that he will score loads there, as he invariably has done throughout his career against lower league opposition.

Didnt realise the MLS doesnt start again for another 2 months. Its probable he could be loaned straight back to another prem side till then, as it would be madness to sit on his bum for then the next 8 weeks when he could be scoring goals and getting match fit.

I wonder is Defoe jumping ship a little early? Not only from Spurs but the PL itself. There must be a very tempting offer on the table for him to go as I think he still has a few years at the top level left in him, if not at this club then another PL club. Anyway good luck to him.

Didnt realise the MLS doesnt start again for another 2 months. Its probable he could be loaned straight back to another prem side till then, as it would be madness to sit on his bum for then the next 8 weeks when he could be scoring goals and getting match fit.

Defoe will probably be loaned back to Spurs until March.

Thanks for your loyal serive to the club JD. You will always be a part of Spurs history and rightly so. You leave us with some fantastic memories.

What shocks me most is why the hell Toronto. He could have been snapped up by at least 10 other premiership sides and got regular games and goals and got back into the England side.

Tomorrow he has effectively retired from international football.

yeah, I agree. last pay day maybe? Must be big money?

Which I all find a bit baffling really. He must have plenty of moolah already. If he wants to the world cup, banging in goals in the MLS isn't gonna help him do that. England have decent strikers relatively speaking - Rooney, Sturridge, Lambert, Hodgson loves Welbeck... being away from the Prem ain't gonna get him anywhere.

Oh well. Cheers for everything JD and best of luck in the future. A great goal scorer for Spurs. Banged in a lot of important goals over the years... won't forget his 5 goal haul against Wigan in a hurry. A very good player, if not a great (his inability to be a lone front man is the death knell, really).

Jermain Defoe, he is a Yido

He will be loaned back to us until March 1st

Can't see a big positive in that. He'll either knock in loads of goals which we will then be without from the start of March and there will be a big hoo-haa about trying to get the move postponed. Or he will be relatively ineffective and a bit part player, as he is now, demob happy.

Don't get why we didn't keep him till the end of the season.

To be honest... Toronto is a great great place to live... such a great place... I wouldnt be surprised if that also played a role in his decision. Its a shame.

Can't see a big positive in that. He'll either knock in loads of goals which we will then be without from the start of March and there will be a big hoo-haa about trying to get the move postponed. Or he will be relatively ineffective and a bit part player, as he is now, demob happy.

Don't get why we didn't keep him till the end of the season.
Because Toronto's season starts in March?

You have to assume Defoe has recognised the time has come for him to move on. Can't say I blame him. He's not going to get into the England WC squad and where's the fun in being our third choice striker? He's been disappointing in the Prem this season but produced the goods in the euros, which kind of says it all really.

Respect to him for keeping a lid on his frustration and not allowing it to affect his attitude to the squad.

Good luck Jermain and thanks for all the goals.

Last edited:
To be honest... Toronto is a great great place to live... such a great place... I wouldnt be surprised if that also played a role in his decision. Its a shame.

It's been -30 there recently!

Lots of affection for Defoe. He's one of us and will be missed. He still has great ability. Running at the last man, turning them in a flash, running with the ball and powering the ball into the net with his toe. On form he was on fire. But his awareness wasn't the best. He will be greatly missed.

We bought Defoe from West Ham in February 2004 for £7,000,000.

Sold him to Portsmouth in January 2008 for £12,000,000.

Bought him back from Portsmouth in January 2009 for £15,000,000.

And we look like selling him to Toronto FC in January 2014 for £6,000,000.

So all told, he's cost us £4,000,000 for a player who has scored 142 goals for Spurs and made 361 appearances.

Not too shabby, is it?

Dated 14 Jan 2012 this is the very 1st post in this thread.

Jamie Jackson
The Guardian, Friday 13 January 2012 23.00 GMT

Jermain Defoe
Tottenham's Jermain Defoe is keen to leave the club in January according to Harry Redknapp, but he has been told to stay.

Jermain Defoe's agent has told Tottenham Hotspur that the striker wants to move in this transfer window because he is not in Harry Redknapp's first team. The manager revealed that Daniel Levy, the chairman, has been contacted by Defoe's representative to discuss the future of the England international, who wants to play regularly before this summer's European Championship.

"Daniel spoke to his agent who said he is not happy because he wants to play and he has got a few clubs in for him," Redknapp said. "I am sure he has got a few clubs in for him but we are not selling him. He is saying this club wants him and that club wants him – that is how they make their money. He is not moving anywhere, though. He is on contract here and is a big player for us."

Regarding Defoe's prospects of being selected for Euro 2012 by Fabio Capello if he is not in the Spurs starting XI, Redknapp said: "Jermain wants to play in the Euros but so does Rafa [van der Vaart]. He wants to play for Holland so he feels he has to play. I would not consider letting him out on loan."

Redknapp has suggested that this season could be Tottenham Hotspur's best chance of winning the title after admitting it may be difficult to retain his star players beyond the summer. He said that if Luka Modric or any other of his best performers was offered a lucrative deal they would be tempted to leave, with the manager revealing that Emmanuel Adebayor, who earns £225,000 a week on loan from Emirates Marketing Project, should return north in the summer.

Redknapp said: "If someone comes along and offers players a contract that could blow their current one out of the water, it's very difficult. They are not going to say I was born in Croatia [as Modric was] but I have always wanted to play for Tottenham. If someone offers to treble a player's wages, you've got a problem, haven't you? We're not in a position to pay £40m or pay £200k a week."

Regarding Adebayor who has scored nine goals in 18 league appearances, Redknapp said: "He has done well for us. He is on amazing money. The other week, one of the lads said to him that he had not paid his £50 fine for being the worst player in training on a Friday morning. He said: 'Bloody hell, Addy, you are on 200 grand a week and you can't afford to pay a £50 fine.' He replied: 'Don't insult me – it's 225.' He certainly isn't getting that here."

Asked if the Togolese international may stay at the club once his loan expires, Redknapp said: "We have Adebayor till the end of the year, and [will] see how we go."

Speaking before Spurs rejected a bid for Steven Pienaar from Queens Park Rangers, Redknapp said he does not want to sell in the current window. "I wouldn't want to let him [Pienaar] go. There is no one here who I'd love to see the back of."

Everton's Phil Neville claimed earlier in the week that the test for Spurs's championship credentials will come in March when the season reaches its defining point. In response, Redknapp agreed that the campaign's closing part will be difficult. "It depends what the fixtures are. We've got some hard games: we've got to go away to Emirates Marketing Project [in eight days], Liverpool [in February], Arsenal [late February], Chelsea [March]," he said, with Spurs also facing Manchester United in March.

Tottenham entertain Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday conscious that victory would draw them level with City, who do not play until Monday. But Redknapp refused to consider that prospect, saying: "I can only look to tomorrow, knowing that it's a tough game." Redknapp added that he was "hopeful" Scott Parker would return from a knee injury.

Last edited:
We bought Defoe from West Ham in February 2004 for £7,000,000.

Sold him to Portsmouth in January 2008 for £12,000,000.

Bought him back from Portsmouth in January 2009 for £15,000,000.

And we look like selling him to Toronto FC in January 2014 for £6,000,000.

So all told, he's cost us £4,000,000 for a player who has scored 142 goals for Spurs and made 361 appearances.

Not too shabby, is it?

Not too shabby at all!! Good luck JD and thanks for everything. Now we really MUST sign a new striker in Jan.

I never "got" how the fans loved him. He has always disappointed me.

He will fill his boots in this league just like the EL. Great move for him and us.

I hope he does not stay on loan. I would rather see Kane given a chance or get a new striker this window.

yeah, I agree. last pay day maybe? Must be big money?

Which I all find a bit baffling really. He must have plenty of moolah already. If he wants to the world cup, banging in goals in the MLS isn't gonna help him do that. England have decent strikers relatively speaking - Rooney, Sturridge, Lambert, Hodgson loves Welbeck... being away from the Prem ain't gonna get him anywhere.

Oh well. Cheers for everything JD and best of luck in the future. A great goal scorer for Spurs. Banged in a lot of important goals over the years... won't forget his 5 goal haul against Wigan in a hurry. A very good player, if not a great (his inability to be a lone front man is the death knell, really).

Jermain Defoe, he is a Yido

While the quality in the MLS isn't great, many of the crowds and stadiums are pretty good (esp in Toronto). He will be a big hero in the MLS and one of the leading names in the league. I could see how that would be a pretty good option for a player entering the latter stages of his career.

I'd also imagine that he'd gotten a pretty decent feel from Hodgson about what moving to MLS would do to his international chances. Hodgson will probably bring Rooney, Sturridge, and Welbeck — plus one more of Rodriguez, Lambert, Carroll, and Defoe. I think if he starts playing great for Toronto FC and banging the goals in, he might be able to squeeze that last spot, especially if Carroll continues to be injured. I'd probably take Rodriguez, but I could see Roy opting for the experience of Defoe, especially if one of those first three picks up an injury.

Back