• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

FIFA: Destroying Football Since 1904

Not sure why people are worried about 2022 World Cup which is 8 long years away. Can see FIFA changing their decisions many times before that. I think they will only come to a concrete decision after the 2018 WC is over.

It will have to be at least a two month break. Most countries have training camps and friendliest before the world cup.

if they bin the pre tournament friendlies and the November and February international fixtures it really won't make difference

and it's only really the top 2 divisions that are affected, no reason the lower leagues can't carry on as normal if there are no players called up, some PL games could even be played depending on squads

I'm sure the Scandinavian leagues don't shut down for a month mid season every time there is a WC or Euros

and it's only really the top 2 divisions that are affected, no reason the lower leagues can't carry on as normal if there are no players called up, some PL games could even be played depending on squads
You shouldn't underestimate FIFAs demand for exclusivity. They usually command every league of any significance to cease playing during a World Cup. That would mean for England that all division of the Premier and Football League will have to rest for at least a month.

I'm sure the Scandinavian leagues don't shut down for a month mid season every time there is a WC or Euros
Allsvenskan does exactly this. They will have a break next summer between the 2nd June and the 6th July.

I really didn't like the idea of playing the tournament during the winter, but have been persuaded by the many people who have pointed out that we are not the only country in the world and many countries have to fit the season around the traditional summer World Cups. HOWEVER, Qatar bid for the tournament on the basis that it would be a summer World Cup, what happened to all those air conditioned stadiums? We all know how the world works, it's a cliche but money is the answer to most questions, it's no different in this case, FIFA are bunch of corrupt, backward old geezers. I really don't understand why the other European countries all bow down to FIFA whilst we are seemingly alone when it comes to pointing out the corrupt and negligent nature of their entire organisation.

Nice one mate.

Wow - FIFA, what to say. Hahaha. What a bunch of corrupt imbeciles. 'La Cosa Nostra' gets a whole new meaning.

Yes, playing the World Cup in what is the winter for us in the northern hemisphere really is comparable to blowing politicians and their families up with car bombs.

Nice one mate.

Yes, playing the World Cup in what is the winter for us in the northern hemisphere really is comparable to blowing politicians and their families up with car bombs.

That's not what I meant. It's just that FIFA far too often comes across as a corrupt gentleman's club where a few select head honchos are deciding big, big things with huge economical consequences for a lot of (innocent) people involved.

From my perspective, setting aside whether or not it should have been awarded to Qatar in the first place, the impact on the PL season can be minimized fairly easily considering that THIS IS A ONE-OFF AND IS EIGHT-AND-A-HALF YEARS AWAY!!!!!!!!

Makes a good point. Will be something different to look forward to, spice of life and all that.

Who knows, could turn out to be a good idea, and something that will happen in the future more often. No matter how much people complain on here, in the press, or however they do, it will make no difference.

"Money talks and bullsh*t walks" a drugged up Scottish man once said to me

That's not what I meant. It's just that FIFA far too often comes across as a corrupt gentleman's club where a few select head honchos are deciding big, big things with huge economical consequences for a lot of (innocent) people involved.

Not a particularly good description of La Cosa Nostra in my eyes.

You shouldn't underestimate FIFAs demand for exclusivity. They usually command every league of any significance to cease playing during a World Cup. That would mean for England that all division of the Premier and Football League will have to rest for at least a month.

Allsvenskan does exactly this. They will have a break next summer between the 2nd June and the 6th July.

then i stand corrected, fair enough

I see this WC being moved to USA or England, both countries had bids in and wouldn't need much preparation. Qatar should have never even been considered

I see this WC being moved to USA or England, both countries had bids in and wouldn't need much preparation. Qatar should have never even been considered

The only thing that bothers me is the fact that Qatar bid for the 2022 World Cup on the basis that it would be a summer tournament, now FIFA have changed their minds AFTER the event but we all know money talks and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the big dogs at FIFA didn't receive some hefty back handers.

The only thing that bothers me is the fact that Qatar bid for the 2022 World Cup on the basis that it would be a summer tournament, now FIFA have changed their minds AFTER the event but we all know money talks and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the big dogs at FIFA didn't receive some hefty back handers.

Exactly right the whole reason they got the bid was according to FIFA their impressive proposal including state of the art air conditioned stadiums and attractions. Of course FIFA officials got paid off and they are basically blazing their own new path and could care less who they **** over. I would love to see this boycotted but a las it won't because of money

Not fussed about the fact it'll be a winter WC - in fact i think it'll be a nice change from the norm.

The questions Qatar being awarded the competition in the first place raises on the other hand ...

I'm sure no one in Europe gives a flying farthing how this winter World Cup would play out elsewhere, but it's a huge boon to MLS in North America, where the regular season would routinely be compromised by a summer WC. Don't think you'll hear much grumbling out of leagues in South America either.

So, yeah, it's a one-off experience that helps FIFA define the notion of a truly World Cup. What ticks me off is that no matter how badly this event disrupts domestic league play across Europe, it's being set up so it has little or no impact on Champions League scheduling. Cnuts, the lot of them.

That's the thing that bothers me least. I don't think that major sporting events should be awarded to countries with dubious human rights records, where minorities are persecuted and where the stadia are being built by slave labour.

Back