• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What are the differences between Spurs and arsenal?

£49m reasons

Seriously for a club to pay that much more and have such a small difference is.... Well actually not great

For both clubs flaws we both live within our means but that because they charge the most of why side in the world!!!!!

And we charge a lot of money regardless

Bit in respect of your argument/question... They pay on average a £1m a week more than us in wages

This, the Scum's wage bill is typically 50% - 100% (over last decade) higher than ours (**** they try to hide with net/gross transfer spend spins)

All the rest is bull**** to be honest, why is City better than the United now? nothing to do with winning mentality/system/**** all but money.

I can't find financial figures for the 1990s but over the past decade ARSEnal' wage bill has totalled over £1bn (as has ManU, ManC, Liverpool and Chelsea) whilst we've spent just over 60% of that figure. With FFP now in place the only way we can narrow the gap to them and the rest of the title challengers squad salaries is to get that new stadium up and running as White Hart Lane currently only generates about £1.6m per home game, compared to about £3.3m for the Emirates, which adds up to a difference of about £50m (the same as the gap in wages) per season.

https://twitter.com/sportingintel/status/393373994595807232/photo/1
BXWLkFwCcAAr91U.jpg:large

http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2013/10/24/arsene-wenger-what-is-he-good-for-251001/

Some excellent points Mr D. I don't know who our Roy Keane could be. Sandro has bite. Even Lennon can be feisty. The world has chanced a little and I'm not sure even Ferguson would put up with meaningless reds and bans. I wish you a nice evening.

Sandro could be our Keane, but he's a bit too...happy to be Roy, I suspect. Too easy-going. That said, the way he threatened Adam on twitter is a start when it comes to building that all for one, one for all mentality I was talking about.

Perhaps we could buy one, but lord knows where we'll find such a leader. The likes of Keane and Viera are incredibly rare in the modern game: most top sides make do without one, so what hope do we have?

We could wait for one to pop up from our academy, I suppose, but it's highly unlikely we'll find someone like that: our academy bunch tend to be mild-mannered, quiet lads, not the roaring blood-and-thunder types.

Worst comes to worst, I'd suggest we start haranguing the referee a bit more and getting our own back on the likes of Adam with a bit more vim and severity. Not too much, just enough to let him know we won't stand for his ****. That'd be a good start. :)

I wish you a good year ahead. :D

You can see how much their players dislike us, can we really say the same about our players?

I've been saying this, or something very similar, for years.

A lot of their players are passionately Arsenal, including many foreign imports with no prior connection to them whatsoever. And as you say, this is partly reflected in an obvious dislike of us. How many players in our recent history can you say this about? Very, very few, I'd suggest. Even when the gulf was much bigger than it is now, their players were ALWAYS up for giving us a beating. Always. I don't know what it is, or why, but somehow they inspire a loyalty in their players that we are nowhere near matching. And that is a massive difference for me.

Wenger said to Ozil in the summer: "I have Chesney in goal, Gibbs and Sagna at FB, Arteta, Wheelchair and Ramsay in the middle with you, Giroud up front, and Walcott wide...and I want you to come and help us win the league".

If I was Ozil, I'd have thought, "Who the hell are those guys?? Never heard of any of them!" And yet Wenger sold him on the idea and is now delivering. How the hell did he make that sale? Wenger really is a special one, no doubt about it.

Wenger said to Ozil in the summer: "I have Chesney in goal, Gibbs and Sagna at FB, Arteta, Wheelchair and Ramsay in the middle with you, Giroud up front, and Walcott wide...and I want you to come and help us win the league".

If I was Ozil, I'd have thought, "Who the hell are those guys?? Never heard of any of them!" And yet Wenger sold him on the idea and is now delivering. How the hell did he make that sale? Wenger really is a special one, no doubt about it.

Players first look at the wages on offer, then whether the club is in the CL, then their chances of getting playing time. Anything else is just PR spin. Occasionally they'll have an agent that makes the decision for them.

They buy better pass and move players, and their players cover a surprisingly large amount of ground. However this new way of playing is very different to the invincibles, it's actually a lot more like Barca under Rijkard with just one holding mid and 4 ballplayers or 2 ballplayers and 2 inside forwards with good ball playing ability

System. Take everything away and they still have that to fall back on. Lets face it some of their players aren't all that but they are still a cog in a well oiled machine. I'm sure this is what Levy was after appointing AVB, but we know how that ended. As much as I liked AVB his system was flawed IMO, and he was too stubborn to see or change it. Anyway that's a different debate but for me if we are to overtake them we need to impose a playing style on the club. De Boer could be the man for the job but lets see how Tim gets on for the rest of the season.

Last edited:
Not too long ago they were a counter attacking team full of athletes. Now they're a team a "weaker" ballplayers, but it has taken them years to allow the players to develop.

I currently live in Canada, yes. I spent most of my childhood and teenage years in Dubai, hence the rather sentimental username (despite the deep reservations I have about that place now). Still, I digress.

As a theoretical reply to your assertion that a winning mentality cannot be built without a long history of winning, let's imagine that today, our midfield was comprised of Eriksen, Dembele, Lennon....and Roy Keane. In-his-pomp Roy Keane, obviously, before he declined and faded away. Everything else remains the same. Would the outcome have been the same? Would Keane have done nothing as Walcott did his little pantomime gig while being stretchered off? Would he have ignored Rose's error as most of our players did, and just gotten on with it? Would he have resignedly shrugged when that Monreal tripped Walker in the area and Clattenburg immediately signalled 'play on'?

I suspect you already know the answer. None of these things would have changed the immediate physical reality of the game: we would have remained 2-0 down. But I suspect that in the first instance, Keane would have chewed out Rose and, more importantly, bucked him up by chewing out other people for not providing passing options to him. In the second instance, he would probably have wandered over and started a fight with some Arsenal player and they would have to be separated by the referee. In the third instance, he would probably have sprinted to Clattenburg before yelling furiously inches from his nose while going steadily redder in the face. Additionally, based on his endeavors at United, I suspect that whenever we would slack off in said hypothetical game, Keane would angrily bark at the players to toughen up before launching himself into a blood-and-thunder tackle on some poor Arsenal slob,drawing a cheer from the away fans and seemingly giving us some much needed impetus.

And how would our players react to such things? The same players who resignedly accepted the result and these incidents within the game would probably have a) backed him up when he started said fight, causing a scrum that would have to be separated and at the very least shaking up Arsenal's gloating players a bit, b) gone running to the referee with him, because that's what you do as a team, back each other up, and c) played with increased intensity after the blood-and-thunder tackle because that kind of crowd-raising moment affects more than just the crowd: it affects the players as well.

And when all our players are playing like that, fighting like that, and are desperate to win like that....surely that is a winning mentality personified?

This is all theoretical, of course it is. The likes of Keane, Mackay and Viera are impossible to find nowadays. These men drove their clubs forward using their own iron wills, and instilled winning mentalities almost single-handedly. But it doesn't need a history of winning to find a player like that, nor does it need a history of success to find a revolutionary manager who can instill that sort of thing in you from the get go: see Ferguson at Aberdeen, Brian Clough at Derby (sacked the tea ladies when he caught them laughing after a defeat), Antonio Conte at Juventus (won the league unbeaten in his first season, ending years of Juve underachievement) or Quique Sanchez Flores taking Atletico to their first European trophy since 1962 and nearly securing another in his first season managing them, and this after horrific 2009-2010 season they had.

You do not need to win to instill a winning mentality: if that were the case, the top clubs would be the top clubs forevermore. Football history is cyclical partly because of this factor: unfancied teams learning how to win without winning in the first place, be it via an inspirational player or a no-nonsense manager. I don't know precisely where we can find either at the moment, but I'd suggest that in the absence of either of those two, showing a bit more fight, giving the ref a bit more stick, pumping up the fans with a few more full-blooded challenges, riling up a few more Arsenal players instead of trudging away as they sneer at your retreating backside....I'd suggest these things would help.
Great post

One of the biggest differences between the two clubs is that I have always felt that the players who represent them buy into the rivalry more than any of our players do. Consequently, that shows during fixtures between the two and how all their players will rally around and protect one of their own.

If they need to, whether it be to set the tone or because it stops a player going into a very dangerous area, they will clean one of our players out without even blinking. I don't see anyone really in our team who would do that. They will take the booking for the greater good because it lays down a marker with Vermaelen yesterday being a prime example. They will also do anything to protect their team mates and if that means giving out some retribution and taking a booking then again, it happens without debate from their side.

I don't know what it is about going to play them away from home. We seem to pay them over the top respect and always seem to lay down for them at their place either for the whole game or for periods of it. They come to our place and will always fight even if they are not in a good place. It seems ingrained within them to do that regardless of the personnel or era and the opposite is true of us.

Last edited:
"A winning mentality cannot be built without a long history of winning".

Not necessarily true. Emirates Marketing Project and Chelski became winners almost overnight once the money arrived. Neither had a 'winning mentality' or history of winning prior to that, at least not in the PL.

But pursuant to that, money is no guarantee either. I think we may have missed an opportunity with the Bale money. Not sure we spent it right. Prior to that, if someone had said "How do we catch up with **** and break in to top 4?", one of the answers may have been "We need to buy players. Give me 120 mil to spend". Well,...

Last edited:
"A winning mentality cannot be built without a long history of winning".

Not necessarily true. Emirates Marketing Project and Chelski became winners almost overnight once the money arrived. Neither had a 'winning mentality' or history of winning prior to that, at least not in the PL.

But pursuant to that, money is no guarantee either. I think we may have missed an opportunity with the Bale money. Not sure we spent it right. Prior to that, if someone had said "How do we catch up with **** and break in to top 4?", one of the answers may have been "We need to buy players. Give me 120 mil to spend". Well,...

I think the lesson from mancity is your can't just buy a lot of players and have instant success. Personally I don't believe in the above statement. A winning mentality needs to be built, it can't be injected overnight (otherwise everyone would be doing it!), but that is not to say a long history of winning is necessary. Great determination, fight, and a winning football games is what is required.

One of the biggest differences between the two clubs is that I have always felt that the players who represent them buy into the rivalry more than any of our players do. Consequently, that shows during fixtures between the two and how all their players will rally around and protect one of their own.

If they need to, whether it be to set the tone or because it stops a player going into a very dangerous area, they will clean one of our players out without even blinking. I don't see anyone really in our team who would do that. They will take the booking for the greater good because it lays down a marker with Vermaelen yesterday being a prime example. They will also do anything to protect their team mates and if that means giving out some retribution and taking a booking then again, it happens without debate from their side.

I don't know what it is about going to play them away from home. We seem to pay them over the top respect and always seem to lay down for them at their place either for the whole game or for periods of it. They come to our place and will always fight even if they are not in a good place. It seems ingrained within them to do that regardless of the personnel or era and the opposite is true of us.

Well summed up. I've never been there to watch Spurs, but just watching on tv even our fans seem quiet and timid. Their fans come to WHL and it's **** taking galore. We very rarely play well at their place, it's got so bad now that I didn't even watch the last league game at the Emirates as I knew what the outcome would be, some may call that silly but I just can't stand seeing us lose with so little fight.

Ffs, even Frimpong hates Spurs and he's only made about 8 appearanaces for them.

Well summed up. I've never been there to watch Spurs, but just watching on tv even our fans seem quiet and timid. Their fans come to WHL and it's **** taking galore. We very rarely play well at their place, it's got so bad now that I didn't even watch the last league game at the Emirates as I knew what the outcome would be, some may call that silly but I just can't stand seeing us lose with so little fight.

Ffs, even Frimpong hates Spurs and he's only made about 8 appearanaces for them.

Personally I like that we are more mature and are not mouthing off. Arrse are full of glory hunting young gobshytes. Its dull. They have little of worth to say. And I believe it does nothing to help them win. Hate does not help winning. I am seriously surprised people would like us to have fukwits like Frimpong and szezny mouthing off. Give me Spurs any and every day. Breath of fresh air.

Facts are: all teams have trouble winning at the ermerates, the aggressive nasty play yesterday was from spurs players not goon players (bar wiltshire) and who won?

Personally I like that we are more mature and are not mouthing off. Arrse are full of glory hunting young gobshytes. Its dull. They have little of worth to say. And I believe it does nothing to help them win. Hate does not help winning. I am seriously surprised people would like us to have fukwits like Frimpong and szezny mouthing off. Give me Spurs any and every day. Breath of fresh air.

Facts are: all teams have trouble winning at the ermerates, the aggressive nasty play yesterday was from spurs players not goon players (bar wiltshire) and who won?

I know you were responding to Jurgen but I am not talking about the need for our players to mouth off. I am talking about our players playing against them, home or away and showing the same level of tenacity and fight generally speaking in every fixture. Obviously it won't happen all the time but I would like it to be the norm rather than the exception to the rule.

Then we can start being a bit cuter and cynical with game management which we are crap at, especially in games against them. If we need to take a yellow in order to take break the game up then take it because that is what they do. And part of the reason they do that is not even game management. Its because for 90 minutes they think partly like the fan does in that they hate everything in white that represents our club and I would like our players to start doing the same and if need be then booting everything in red if that is what it takes in that particular fixture in order to get on top.

I'm not saying I would want Frimpong at Spurs, but as a club I think our players are too nice, even Sandro who's our toughest player is a loveable buffoon. In an ideal world all teams would play the game with respect and wouldn't do cynical things like harassing the ref, but in reality all the top teams act like ****s to an extent.

I know you were responding to Jurgen but I am not talking about the need for our players to mouth off. I am talking about our players playing against them, home or away and showing the same level of tenacity and fight generally speaking in every fixture. Obviously it won't happen all the time but I would like it to be the norm rather than the exception to the rule.

Then we can start being a bit cuter and cynical with game management which we are crap at, especially in games against them. If we need to take a yellow in order to take break the game up then take it because that is what they do. And part of the reason they do that is not even game management. Its because for 90 minutes they think partly like the fan does in that they hate everything in white that represents our club and I would like our players to start doing the same and if need be then booting everything in red if that is what it takes in that particular fixture in order to get on top.

Ade tried that last year. We were ontop of that game before he lost his rag.

Yesterday the level of aggression from players was just right for me (the aggression from fans wasn't too bad either). We were slyly getting into them (as mentioned elsewhere Dembele's backwards head flick, Bentalab missed stamp on Monreals hand, Soldado's hack at wilstshire). What we lacked was fitness, a few players and a settled team. imo.

Stability and a playing style that enables the players to easily adapt. You could see yesterday, although they weren't great they are so comfortable on the ball, quite telepathic and their was a passage of play in the first half when they could have scored one of the goals of the season.

Back