• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Sunderland, Saturday 7th December KO 17:30***

THFC6061

Paul Robinson
A6107_zps699f3a3a.jpg

Sunderland AFC host Tottenham Hotspur at the Stadium of Light on Saturday 7th December 2013 (KO 17:30) in the 15th Round of 2013-14 Premier League matches.

Sunderland come into the game in last place in the table on 8 points with Spurs 6th on 24 points.

This will be the 116th time the two clubs have met, the most recent of which came in Hong Kong in July 2013 as part of the Premier League Asia Trophy.

The first meeting came at Northumberland Park in March 1898 when Spurs were playing in the Southern League in a friendly which Sunderland won 2-0.

A second meeting followed within the year when Spurs beat Sunderland 2-1 in the old second round (today's fourth round) of the FA Cup in February 1899.

Tottenham's first visit to Sunderland came during a mini tour of the North-East to celebrate the turn of the new Century with Spurs winning the friendly match 3-1 on 2nd January 1900.

The first Football League meetings between the two clubs saw Sunderland win at home 3-1 in September 1909 and Spurs having a comprehensive win in the return fixture at White Hart Lane 5-1.

Tottenham Hotspur's all-time record attendance of 75,038 at White Hart Lane came in an FA Cup 6th round match against Sunderland in March 1938. Sundeland won the game 1-0. This was the only FA Cup match Sunderland have won out of the 7 played so far with Spurs winning five and one game drawn.

The only two League matches ever played outside the Top Flight came during 1977-78 when Spurs won at Roker Park 2-1 but lost the return Division Two match at the Lane 3-2.

The clubs first met in the Football League Cup in November 1984 with Spurs drawing 0-0 away but Sunderland winning the replay at the Lane 2-1.
The three matches in the competition have resulted in a win each and one game drawn.

Since Sunderland joined the Premier League in season 1996-97, no further domestic cup ties have been played between the two clubs.Spurs have a good record during the Premier League Era with 15 wins to Sunderland's 5 and the remaining 4 games drawn. Spurs have taken an average of 2.04 points off Sunderland in the 24 matches played so far.

The 2010-11 fixture at White Hart Lane ended in a 1-1 draw with Rafael van der Vaart putting Spurs ahead in the second half only for Sunderland's Asamoah Gyan to equalise three minutes later. The match at Sunderland resulted in a 2-1 win for Spurs with Asamoah Gyan putting the Black Cats ahead after 11 minutes before Michael Dawson's equaliser just before half-time. Niko Kranjcar scored the winner for Spurs in the 57th minute.

The 2011-12 match at White Hart Lane in December resulted in a 1-0 win for Spurs with substitute striker Roman Pavlyuchenko scoring the winner with just over an hour of the match played. The three points won put Spurs in third place in the table for the first time during 2011-12. The match at Sunderland in April 2012 was a goalless draw which produced very few chances for either team.

In August 2012, Tottenham's full-back Danny Rose went to Sunderland for a season's loan. The match at the Stadium of Light in December 2012 was won by Tottenham 2-1. John O'Shea opened the scoring for the Black Cats five minutes before half-time. Carlos Cuellar headed an own goal three minutes into the second half to even the game and Aaron Lennon scored the winner three minutes later for Spurs.

A 90th minute Gareth Bale goal secured all three points for Spurs at home to Sunderland on the final day of the 2012-13 season.

Hong Kong provided the setting for the 2013 Premier League Asia Trophy in July and Sunderland beat Spurs 3-1 in the Semi-Final. Gylfi Sigurdsson put Spurs ahead after 28 minutes but Cabral equalised five minutes later. Second half goals from Wes Brown and David Karlsson ensured that Sunderland progressed to the Final, where they lost 1-0 to Emirates Marketing Project.

Overall, Spurs have the upper hand over Sunderland with 47 wins to 39 and 29 of the 115 matches played so far drawn.

A6106_zps1ea74863.jpg

Full Record of Tottenham Hotspur v Sunderland Matches 1898-2014

A6112_zps5ccd5c68.jpg

They Played for Spurs & Sunderland...

Ben Alnwick
Darren Bent

Ted Birnie (Spurs player, Sunderland trainer & coach)
Ivor Broadis
Fraizer Campbell

Graham Carr (scout with both clubs)
Jim Chalmers
Pascal Chimbonda
Ernie Coquet

John Curtis
Calum Davenport
Jimmy Delvin
Márton Fülöp
Phil Gray

Jim Hartley
Alan Hutton
Joe Knowles
Steed Malbranque
Fred Mearns
Bobby Mimms
Bill Murray
George Payne
Gus Poyet (Spurs player & coach, Sunderland manager)
Andy Reid
Danny Rose
Louis Saha
Jimmy Seed
Paul Stewart
Teemu Tainio
Chris Waddle

Jack Whitbourne

Last edited:
-----------Lloris
Walker--Daws--Chirches--Verts

----Dembele---Sandro
---------Paulinho

Lennon----------Chadli
--------Soldado

2-0 (Soldado, Paulinho)

For me:

-------------Lloris-----------
Walker-Daws-Vlad-Vertonghen
--------Sandro-Dembele-----
Lennon-----Lamela----Chadli
-----------Soldado----------

Holtby for Dembele if Dembele isn't fit.

Back five picks itself. Sandro is undroppable, Dembele deserves to start ahead of Paulinho and I would rather see more creativity in Lamela ahead of Paulinho in the hole. Lennon has been flying. Chadli has been our best wide left player. I think Soldado is better than Defoe.

For me:

-------------Lloris-----------
Walker-Daws-Vlad-Vertonghen
--------Sandro-Dembele-----
Lennon-----Lamela----Chadli
-----------Soldado----------

Holtby for Dembele if Dembele isn't fit.

Back five picks itself. Sandro is undroppable, Dembele deserves to start ahead of Paulinho and I would rather see more creativity in Lamela ahead of Paulinho in the hole. Lennon has been flying. Chadli has been our best wide left player. I think Soldado is better than Defoe.

I can see the case for Lamela ahead of Paulinho. Although he's looked better since moving to that more advanced role, Paulinho looks knackered at the moment. So I'd be fine with resting him till Liverpool (unless Lamela has a barn stormer and keep his place).

Lloris

Walker Vlad Verts Naughton

Sandro Holtby

Lennon Sig Townsend

Soldado​

I think Vertonghen will be out for this one and probably Dembele too? if both are out..

------------------------------Lloris------------------------------

Walker--------------Dawson--------Chiriches-----------Naughton

------------------------Sandro---Holtby------------------------

--Lennon--------------------Lamela--------------------Chadli---

-----------------------------Defoe-----------------------------

Subs: Friedel, Kaboul, Paulinho, Townsend, Siggy, Capoue, Soldado

There's no way Defoe deserves to be dropped after the performance against Fulham imo. I'm not a Defoe fan but i want our manager to be fair and dropping Defoe after a good performance is not fair. Chadli or Siggy on the left i don't mind...

I think Vertonghen will be out for this one and probably Dembele too? if both are out..

------------------------------Lloris------------------------------

Walker--------------Dawson--------Chiriches-----------Naughton

------------------------Sandro---Holtby------------------------

--Lennon--------------------Lamela--------------------Chadli---

-----------------------------Defoe-----------------------------

Subs: Friedel, Kaboul, Paulinho, Townsend, Siggy, Capoue, Soldado

There's no way Defoe deserves to be dropped after the performance against Fulham imo. I'm not a Defoe fan but i want our manager to be fair and dropping Defoe after a good performance is not fair. Chadli or Siggy on the left i don't mind...

Usually I'd agree with that principle. But if Defoe's already agreed to move to MSL next month there's no point - we've got to get Soldado in and in form. I assume he was only rested last night because Fulham were the weakest opponents of the coming matches.

Usually I'd agree with that principle. But if Defoe's already agreed to move to MSL next month there's no point - we've got to get Soldado in and in form. I assume he was only rested last night because Fulham were the weakest opponents of the coming matches.

That's a rumour at this point.

Soldado played pretty well against United (IMO, of course) and he dropped him.

Not confident for this one.

Soldado played pretty well against United (IMO, of course) and he dropped him.

Not confident for this one.

maybe Kane should be given a go.....in all I would play defoe again....taking soldado out of the firing line for a bit may be a smart move.

We should win here. Sunderland aren't a threat going forward in open play, they are mainly reliant on set-pieces for goals. They are also a joke defensively. We need to put Lamela up against Bardsley, it will be his best chance yet to prove himself in this league. Same goes for Soldado, play him and try and get some confidence flowing.

Generally I've grown tiresome of watching us this season with our style of play but last night's game was entertaining, if only because it was so end to end. We were lucky to win but I think Fulham have better players than Sunderland so we should win here showing some grace in our performance.

0-2

just imagine we get a win for this and follow it up by beating everyone's favourite Liverpool and then get revenge on big 'I cant stop talking about avb' fat sam allardyce.....

this would be a very happy place again.

this is gonna be a battle imo but one that's defo winnable...... match the mackems for attitude and effort and then hopefully our class will shine through on Saturday.

Back