• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

Re: Official - Townsend

He also ran into areas crowded with Saudi Sportswashing Machine defenders several times, basically giving up possession. Lennon might be guilty of passing backwards too much, but it's sometimes the right thing to do. If the defender knew he would try to run past him on the outside every time it would be easy to nullify his threat. You have to keep them guessing. Townsend has talent, but he shouldn't be near the first XI at the moment. Good at running with the ball and has a decent shot, but his contribution as part of a team is still poor.

It has an impact on the defensive side of our game as well as we're more vulnerable to counter attacks when he loses the ball as often as he does and he was poor at tracking back as well against Saudi Sportswashing Machine. Simply 'trying' isn't enough for me. Put me in the team and you've never seen anyone try as hard, but it wouldn't do much good.

It's a somewhat similar situation to that of Ronaldo early on at United. He needs to improve his decision making, but also his understanding of the game. Ronaldo still suffers from trying to do it all on his own when playing for Portugal, making the team less than the sum of its parts.

He also ran into areas crowded with Saudi Sportswashing Machine defenders several times, basically giving up possession. Lennon might be guilty of passing backwards too much, but it's sometimes the right thing to do. If the defender knew he would try to run past him on the outside every time it would be easy to nullify his threat. You have to keep them guessing. Townsend has talent, but he shouldn't be near the first XI at the moment. Good at running with the ball and has a decent shot, but his contribution as part of a team is still poor.

It has an impact on the defensive side of our game as well as we're more vulnerable to counter attacks when he loses the ball as often as he does and he was poor at tracking back as well against Saudi Sportswashing Machine. Simply 'trying' isn't enough for me. Put me in the team and you've never seen anyone try as hard, but it wouldn't do much good.

It's a somewhat similar situation to that of Ronaldo early on at United. He needs to improve his decision making, but also his understanding of the game. Ronaldo still suffers from trying to do it all on his own when playing for Portugal, making the team less than the sum of its parts.

That statement is just laughable.

To be honest he has great potential but needs to develop more before being a first team regular for a champions league chasing team.

I thought we would have learnt our lesson with young English wingers bursting on the scene. Instead of building them up we should be developing them in a sensible manner. The England displays may have helped with his confidence but it puts added pressure on the boy and he is now beginning to think he is the main man regardless of what he says about keeping his feet on the ground.

That statement is just laughable.

Let me guess, you'd prefer it if we played 4-4-2 with a big target man to launch long balls and crosses at? Get the ball into their box and see if something happens.

Having someone play the way Townsend does is detrimental to the team IMO. How is our attacking play supposed to get any better when every attack down our right breaks down?

I think Andros could do with some personal training a la bale AVB last season to help him develop his style of play - could do wonders for him. Also think Lamela and lennon could teach him a thing or two but the key is will he listen?

I hope so as I think with the right development he is going to be a big player for us

Come on man, you are being way harsh on Andros here. Townsend passes sideways or back plenty of times. He also went inside and out plenty of times. He also set up chances and contributed to the team. And yes, he took his own shots and went on dribbles too.

Come on man, you are being way harsh on Andros here. Townsend passes sideways or back plenty of times. He also went inside and out plenty of times. He also set up chances and contributed to the team. And yes, he took his own shots and went on dribbles too.

Why, should he be treated differently than the rest for some reason?

You can literally see him doing the things people criticise him for for not doing enough, all nicely cut up in a video that is easily accessible. And people are still saying he doesn't do this or that. I genuinely find it quite bizarre.

You can literally see him doing the things people criticise him for for not doing enough, all nicely cut up in a video that is easily accessible. And people are still saying he doesn't do this or that. I genuinely find it quite bizarre.

If I had a copy of the game and loads of spare time I could easily put together a collection of clips with everything he did wrong to illustrate my points.

I don't see why we can't be critical of him, everything else under the sun is under intense scrutiny on here. It may be that AVB wants a player like that in his team, someone who can do something on his own, but it isn't Townsend. His end product is shockingly poor considering some of his other stats, ie. number of successful dribbles, number of shots. For us to improve our attacking play he has to be dropped IMO.

Let me guess, you'd prefer it if we played 4-4-2 with a big target man to launch long balls and crosses at? Get the ball into their box and see if something happens.

Having someone play the way Townsend does is detrimental to the team IMO. How is our attacking play supposed to get any better when every attack down our right breaks down?

Townsend, for all his faults and his youth and inevitable inexperience,has been our main threat this season IMO. Can he improve? yes of course he can. If some of the 45 or so shots he has had would have flown in, would you still be criticising him?

He is young, talented, fast, can dribble, and has a great shot with both feet. Remind you of anyone? No, he is not the finished article yet, but for those saying he isn't good enough is doubting the assessment of AVB, Harry and Hodgson. Have you got better credentials by which to judge him?

If I had a copy of the game and loads of spare time I could easily put together a collection of clips with everything he did wrong to illustrate my points.

I don't see why we can't be critical of him, everything else under the sun is under intense scrutiny on here. It may be that AVB wants a player like that in his team, someone who can do something on his own, but it isn't Townsend. His end product is shockingly poor considering some of his other stats, ie. number of successful dribbles, number of shots. For us to improve our attacking play he has to be dropped IMO.

As far as I could see that video a clip of every time he touched the ball right? So it was every wayward shot, every failed dribble and every safe pass.

And even within that, you can see him set up gilt edge chances where it's easier to miss. You can see him playing the simple passes to feed other players. You can see him going down the outside as well as going inside.

It's like people don't want to see it for some reason that I haven't been able to figure out yet. I just cannot rap my head around why he is so harshly criticised compared to other players.

As far as I could see that video a clip of every time he touched the ball right? So it was every wayward shot, every failed dribble and every safe pass.

And even within that, you can see him set up gilt edge chances where it's easier to miss. You can see him playing the simple passes to feed other players. You can see him going down the outside as well as going inside.

It's like people don't want to see it for some reason
that I haven't been able to figure out yet. I just cannot rap my head around why he is so harshly criticised compared to other players.

Some people here establish a position and refuse to retreat.

Andros is absolutely our most important player. If other attacking players were playing to his standard we would be scoring shed loads.

"You can see him playing the simple passes to feed other players. You can see him going down the outside as well as going inside"

Last edited:

I think Andros could do with some personal training a la bale AVB last season to help him develop his style of play - could do wonders for him. Also think Lamela and lennon could teach him a thing or two but the key is will he listen?

I hope so as I think with the right development he is going to be a big player for us

The interesting thing I think is that Townsend is more skillful than Bale was, probably better at beating a defender actually but in terms of end product Bale is light years ahead. When Bale played on the left his crosses were usually very dangerous and he could often find a striker, and he spent years developing his shot and free kick which paid off for us in the 2nd half of last season. If Andros could develop these talents then he could be just as good, potentially better, but until then I think he may be flattering to deceive.

Andros is absolutely our most important player. If other attacking players were playing to his standard we would be scoring shed loads.

"You can see him playing the simple passes to feed other players. You can see him going down the outside as well as going inside"

Definitely isn't our most important player, that would be Lloris or Vertonghen imo.

If everyone played to his standard we'd get killed on the counter every game, not to mention how dull our games would be with everyone standing around waiting for passes that never come.

If everyone played to his standard we'd get killed on the counter every game, not to mention how dull our games would be with everyone standing around waiting for passes that never come.

Your irrational criticisms of Townsend, which bear no relation to reality, are beginning to grate and descending into non-sensical statements like the one above.

Did you really look at the clip posted earlier? BoL's summation is entirely accurate.

ANALYSIS
By Ewan Roberts

From perennial loanee to England's next great hope, the past two months have seen Andros Townsend's reputation rise at a pace almost as frighteningly rapid as he is. Singled out by Germany boss Joachim Low as a “dynamic” threat before Tuesday night's encounter at Wembley, the 22-year-old was, yet again, the brightest player for the home side, reinforcing his status as one of the country's most dangerous players.

The Tottenham academy product is almost uniquely direct, driving forward with a rare and absorbing fearlessness – his 55 successful dribbles is a division high – while his every touch is accompanied by the collective thwacking of 36,000 seats flipping back as the White Hart Lane crowd, otherwise starved of tantalising football this season, rise to their feet in feverish excitement and expectation.

Yet, for all his intent and raw energy, Townsend has just one goal – which was intended as a cross – and no assists in the Premier League this season. His growing repute, particularly on the international stage, has added further growl to a bark that is rather more fearsome than the bite, and he has become worryingly adept at looking like a threat without ever actually being one.

Townsend's limp goal tally, though, is not for the want of trying. No player in the Premier League has attempted more shots on goal than the winger's 45 – that's one every 18.7 minutes he has been on the pitch.

Astonishingly, 41 of those efforts have been taken from outside the box (or 91 per cent, way above Spurs' average of 56% which is already significantly higher than other top-four rivals), 15 have been blocked (which is another league high), just 33% have been on target, and he boasts a head-scratching average shot distance of 26 yards.

While the best players make the right decisions most often, Townsend, acutely aware of the need to score goals and make himself “undroppable”, routinely and frustratingly takes the wrong option. Better placed team-mates are ignored in favour of hopeful shots from range that rarely trouble the goalkeeper, assuming they even beat the first man. If his shooting stats merely hint at a player seeking individual accolades, his conversion rate of just 2.2% (a league low for any player who has netted this year) undoubtedly confirms him as a singularly wasteful player.

Though he has failed to record an assist in 26 of his 27 Premier League career appearances, Townsend has created 19 chances for his team-mates this term, the most of any Spurs player – even if his only tangible contribution remains the penalty he won against Swansea. Somewhat symptomatic of the problems Spurs face on a wider scale, only four of those 19 chances have been inside the box, and only three have been clear-cut.

Further to that, Townsend has created just two chances for the much-maligned Roberto Soldado (while attempting 73% more shots), yet the Spaniard has created seven chances for Townsend and provided an assist.

In none of the 10 league games in which both players have featured has Soldado taken more shots than Townsend, while in 50% of matches the England wideman has had at least twice as many attempts as the former Valencia hotshot (peaking at nine against Norwich, a match in which Soldado had just three efforts).

At the Mestalla, Soldado created a goalscoring opportunity every 81 minutes, at Spurs he has done so every 51 minutes (while averaging fewer shots now too). Andre Villas-Boas spoke of needing a player with more predatory instincts prior to Soldado's signing, yet the 28-year-old's poaching skills are being hampered by the demands placed on him to link play and facilitate the players that ought to be supplying him.

It's a curious reversal of roles, and a scandalous misuse of talent – imagine if Chris Tucker had been cast as the martial arts master and by-the-book Hong Kong detective in Rush Hour opposite Jackie Chan's fast-talking, wise-cracking Los Angeles cop; Townsend is essentially asking Soldado to speak Cantonese.

But Townsend is not the only player to frustrate this season, or fail to link up with Soldado. Icelander Gylfi Sigurdsson is often just as disruptive to his Spurs team-mates, and specifically the side's grounded Spanish focal point, as his country's ash cloud was to the rest of Europe.

Criminally, Sigurdsson has not created a single chance for Soldado in open play. The former Hoffenheim midfielder has serviced the Spaniard just once in total, from a free-kick against Crystal Palace on the opening day of the season. If there is one silver lining it is that, unlike Townsend, Sigurdsson is a legitimate goal threat – a valuable commodity in a side that has struggled in that respect. Of midfielders, only Oscar, Eden Hazard, Yaya Toure and Aaron Ramsey have scored more goals in the Premier League this term.

Inverted wingers aren't inherently a problem, especially with the pace of Kyle Walker and, when fit, Danny Rose overlapping from deep, but having two largely self-serving players in the key positions to supply Soldado is an issue. In fact, Walker has created more chances for the Spaniard than any other Spurs player (with five), while the right-back and fellow full-back Rose, as a duo, have created a chance for the £26 million frontman every 189 minutes.

Townsend and Sigurdsson, meanwhile, have done so only every 471 minutes. Against Saudi Sportswashing Machine, a match which saw Tim Krul make 14 saves as Spurs peppered the Dutchman's goal, the two wingers failed to play a single successful pass to Soldado.

There are certainly alternatives to Townsend for Villas-Boas to think about exploring. Aaron Lennon led the club's assists charts with seven last season, and brings both natural width and the once uncapitalised cut-backs that Soldado would surely devour. Meanwhile, record-signing Erik Lamela, though less vivacious and gung-ho than Townsend, offers greater cunning and vision for the rest of the Spurs side to play off.

Townsend, bright though he may be, needs to find greater efficiency and clinicalness. At present he is a top-shelf, weapons-grade firework with an inaudible bang, an armoured S.W.A.T van with only a PCSO inside ready to write up a fixed penalty notice. He needs to do more without doing too much, and if he cannot convert his exuberance and direct running into something more concrete, then Tottenham simply cannot afford to carry him any longer.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896...y-over-hyped-townsend-is-no-longer-justifying

Couple more tables of stats on the link.

Really does need to sort out his decision making.

I'd like to see Lennon and Lamela unleashed in one game with Holtby in the middle, think that would have a good mixture of pace, dribbling, skill and guile and more importantly not a lot of greed.

Townsend, for all his faults and his youth and inevitable inexperience,has been our main threat this season IMO. Can he improve? yes of course he can. If some of the 45 or so shots he has had would have flown in, would you still be criticising him?

He is young, talented, fast, can dribble, and has a great shot with both feet. Remind you of anyone? No, he is not the finished article yet, but for those saying he isn't good enough is doubting the assessment of AVB, Harry and Hodgson. Have you got better credentials by which to judge him?

"If some of his 45 shots had flown in" , then fair enough, but they have'haven't, surely you could say that about any player. Townsend has just had another two games for England with no assists and goals . Surely there has to be a point when we cut our loses and drop him.

Thankfully I didn't get to see the game...

That said; I'm surprised there haven't been many posts on this particular thread seeing as a lot of posters blame Andros for our failings...

Should he have played? or would we have lost 15-0 with him on the right 'trying' to make something happen?

Back