• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

AVB - I want him out now!

AVB is annoying as he clearly does not like Ade but he is our best striker and on form is class. Bring back Ade and start playing him instead and we might actually get some goals. Drop Townsend, hes average. Play one man behind Ade/Soldada i.e Holtby/Eriksen/Sig and have 2 proper wingers with Lennon and Lemala.

My team would be this

LLoris

Walker, Chiriches, Dawon, Verts

Sandro

Lennon Dembele Lemala

Ade Soldado

Boom - goals

There is no way AVB should go now when we are still in a position to achieve what we are aiming for (CL football). I do think this can easily be his last season as our manager though. Levy has shown in the past that he is ruthless when it comes to getting rid of managers who don't produce the results he expects. If we don't qualify for the CL this season, the only thing that can save AVB is Levy being stubborn and sticking with AVB after he took such a gamble by sacking Redknapp to hire AVB. History, however, would suggest that AVB will go, unless of course, we achieve some success in the cups that will compensate for the lack of CL football.

This season is 11 games old, what about last season? He won the PFA YPOTY under Harry, last season under AVB he was dreadful. He made fewer mistakes and was better offensively under Harry imo. I can't really think of (m)any players who were here with Harry and have improved under AVB.

Obviously he struggled last year, probably a lot to do with learning to perform in a different coaching philosophy, having to play to a structure and not with as much freedom as he did have. Ultimately it makes him a better player though coming through that, and I think this year he has been very solid.

As for other players - Bale.

I was pretty down on Sunday, but after a couple of days to ruminate on it we did at least make plenty of decent chances. I'm still 100% AVB as this is very much a work in progress, that in my opinion is moving faster than it could.

I'm still laughing in disbelief at how a few (Eriksen's and the leg appearing out of nowhere to clear off the line to name a couple) didn't go in. 99 out of 100 other times they would both be goals.

There is no way AVB should go now when we are still in a position to achieve what we are aiming for (CL football). I do think this can easily be his last season as our manager though. Levy has shown in the past that he is ruthless when it comes to getting rid of managers who don't produce the results he expects. If we don't qualify for the CL this season, the only thing that can save AVB is Levy being stubborn and sticking with AVB after he took such a gamble by sacking Redknapp to hire AVB. History, however, would suggest that AVB will go, unless of course, we achieve some success in the cups that will compensate for the lack of CL football.

Disagree. There is no reason why we should jump ahead of Man U, Man C, Cheatski, Woolwich whatsoever. We will try, but a close 5th (or 6th if Liverpool or Soton get a billion points suddenly) is not failure.

Two questions

Is AVB the right man for the job? Answer - jury still out

Has AVB been a good manager this season so far? Answer- self evidently no.

We have had easy matches and are 7th. We have an abysmal goal scoring record.

If he continues along the same path for the next 8 games, we will be out of touch and he will look like a dud.

This sums up the faults of today's society people want it all now.... what happened to letting things take their course, i.e giving the influx of over half a team to bed in, take stock at the end of the season.

Because I can see that even if things take their course for the positive, and AVB cuts out the stupid defeats at home, that we will always be a functional side under hiim, we will never be entertaining, as he doesn't play that way. He is a tactical, safety first manager that likes to over-coach and preach to his players about exactly what they should do at any one point.

I think the players look visibly nervous on the pitch and that translates into the crowd and vice-versa. I don't think the atmosphere is good at Spurs these days and I don't think it will get any better, even if we win the league with 1-0 wins and 0-0 draws.

I'm not interested in any success gained "the AVB way". As it's not the Spurs way and not something i get a lot of joy or pleasure from as a Spurs fan.

Plus it doesn't even look like we'll achieve our objectives this season, playing this way. You lot are talking about giving a project time. Even AVB admits his objective is top-4. And why wouldn't it be given the investment? I would have thought that a close failure playing a decent brand of football where the atmosphere at WHL was generally positive would have been accepted.

I don't for a minute thing Levy is going to tolerate failure to gain 4th, when the football is horrendous, the fans are edgy and the atmosphere at WHL is toxic.

I for one hope he doesn't.

Chich, you are a funny guy but WTF is this obsession with Les Ferdinand?

People need a scape goat, just like with Chris "clip board" Hughton. No matter that hardly anyone actually know what these coaches do and bring to the table.
"Must be someone's fault right!?"

Because I can see that even if things take their course for the positive, and AVB cuts out the stupid defeats at home, that we will always be a functional side under hiim, we will never be entertaining, as he doesn't play that way. He is a tactical, safety first manager that likes to over-coach and preach to his players about exactly what they should do at any one point.

I think the players look visibly nervous on the pitch and that translates into the crowd and vice-versa. I don't think the atmosphere is good at Spurs these days and I don't think it will get any better, even if we win the league with 1-0 wins and 0-0 draws.

I'm not interested in any success gained "the AVB way". As it's not the Spurs way and not something i get a lot of joy or pleasure from as a Spurs fan.

Plus it doesn't even look like we'll achieve our objectives this season, playing this way. You lot are talking about giving a project time. Even AVB admits his objective is top-4. And why wouldn't it be given the investment? I would have thought that a close failure playing a decent brand of football where the atmosphere at WHL was generally positive would have been accepted.

I don't for a minute thing Levy is going to tolerate failure to gain 4th, when the football is horrendous, the fans are edgy and the atmosphere at WHL is toxic.

there's a lot of assumptions, guess work and opinions dressed up as facts in this post but very little substance.

They were saying the same thing about Wenger at the start of the season though.

Yes, but the difference is that he's been at Arsenal for 17 years and had plenty of time to implement his tactics, mentality and style of play.

Last edited:
Nonsense to talk about sackings, IMO. I would llike to hear AVB articulate his footballing philosophy, though. Hopefully, he'd say more than, "You score three, we'll pass it around side-to-side a bit in front of your back four."

His biography is a good read if you want to learn about that.

AVB is annoying as he clearly does not like Ade but he is our best striker and on form is class. Bring back Ade and start playing him instead and we might actually get some goals. Drop Townsend, hes average. Play one man behind Ade/Soldada i.e Holtby/Eriksen/Sig and have 2 proper wingers with Lennon and Lemala.

My team would be this

LLoris

Walker, Chiriches, Dawon, Verts

Sandro

Lennon Dembele Lemala

Ade Soldado

Boom - goals

Lamela is not left-sided, nor a proper winger. And as Dembele is the least creative player in our squad, it's odd to put him in the playmaker position

His Porto team were solid, but also very entertaining. He aspires to be entertaining. When Guardiola congratulated him for winning the UEFA cup, AVB apparently apologised that he hadn't achieved it playing quite as good football as Barcelona yet. The thing that tempers his desire in that aspect is that he's smart enough to know that it's a long campaign and playing the percentages pays off in the long term.

He's also primarily coaching his own players now, so I expect someone did their homework and signed ones who are developed in structures where tactics are part of the game through their whole education (i.e. mainland Europe, where we've been signing 6/7 of our players this summer from). He's not lecturing at a dressing room where David Bentleys and Jonathan Woodgates are the majority, like Ramos tried to do.

There is something in his biography about how he trains players so they can do pre-planned stuff in a chaotic/random situation. I don't remember exactly but it was an interesting passage.

Last edited:
our ability not to concede is nothing to do with a lack of changes....its because we are unadventurous in attack and we have a way of playing that keeps the ball for longer than the opposition.

however, we have had occasions where we have been opened up and only last ditch sweeper keeping from Lloris has saved us. When put under pressure we dont look too smart in this department

7 clean sheets in 10 league games for Lloris this season. 6 goals conceded in 11 league games in total.

9 in 27 last season. 46 goals conceded in 38 games, 25 of them in the first half of the season. Lloris conceded 29 in his 27 games, Friedel 17 in 11.

We have been showing steady improvement all along and it's no coincidence we're doing much better now. Lloris has made the position his own and Sandro is fully fit among other things. I don't see why we shouldn't show some patience with the attacking players as well. We've had a settling in period where being solid defensively has been key, but now that everyone is getting comfortable with how we play we'll see improvement.

There is something in his biography about how he trains players so they can do pre-planned stuff in a chaotic/random situation. I don't remember exactly but it was an interesting passage.

Being Norwegian, I grew up watching my local team Rosenborg win 13 league titles in a row, and even whoop ass in the CL on occasion, and they did it playing 4-3-3. They reason they achieved so much more than the ability of the individual players suggested was team work. They had a coach who, inspired by the great Dutch masters, would drill them in what to do in different situations, over and over again until they got it right. The key here is that they weren't learning to play to each others strengths, but getting the basics right so that it didn't matter who played. ie. you knew that the FB would come bombing down behind you if you were the wide forward. Knowing where to run, where to pass and when to do it would eventually become second nature. Whenever a player went to a bigger league it was easy to replace him. It's 'machine like', but it doesn't mean it can't be entertaining and most importantly it takes time to implement properly.

Oh my days!

This thread is so

Guy-Smiley.jpg

Had to log off the site pretty quickly last night due to the negativity and utter despondence in every single thread. Just logged on hoping things might have changed to find this...

What an absolute joke. Please move this thread to classics when it dies down so we can publicly humiliate the OP and whoever agrees with them in the future.

I'm not going to post in here anymore as it will only prolong the lifespan of this vile thread, but the only thing I have to say is that the last time we ploughed serious money into promising young players and the team of our up-and-coming, highly rated young manager, we ended up flopping miserably and had 2 points from 8 games.

It has taken 5 years to get back to the same position, and this time we are 5 points from top spot after 11 games and just 1 point off 4th. People bemoan our attack, but we are seeing things fall into place.

We cut Saudi Sportswashing Machine open more effectively than most teams this season, Krul played a blinder and we could have been more clinical, but overall the performance was encouraging due to the type of chances we created, dangerous and varied ones. Overly-ambitious pot-shots from 30 yards were not the extent of our threat, as they have seemed for long stretches of most games.

We look increasingly like a unit in midfield (which is why Townsend started over Lamela and continued on the right), and the trio behind the striker are starting to understand each other/ their position. When this process is complete, we can start demanding the team to annihilate teams at home and score lots of goals generally.

Obviously though there are still many un-integrated players: players still unfamiliar to English football; players unfamilar to their colleagues which includes every single midfielder of ours to some degree due to the amount of changes we made over summer; players unfamiliar to their position/ the formation they play it in such as Lennon, Eriksen, Townsend.

So right now it is naive and unrealistic to expect these pastings, especially at home where the opposition can come with no intention of attacking and will still have excellent support. Away from home is where our players will see more space and time on the ball to ease the teething pains of poor understanding between our players.

With all this in mind - how can anyone possibly criticise our team in terms so unsympathetic and ravaging as the OP? For a Tottenham fan, the OP and all posters agreeing with them have an truly terrible understanding of the term 'transitional season'.

If I am truly honest it hasnt been pretty to watch, I dont see how people can be up in arms about somebody stating their opinion. What is this Nazi Germany FFS?

Back