• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

Re: Official - Townsend

Are people actually slating townsend?

The only player who shows a bit of quality and plays with heart..

Of course he tries to do it all himself, because they others around him are sleeping. No movement whatsoever.

We are over reliant on him whereas he should be just a talented young kid and fantastic bonus to the team if the others were doing their job properly.

We are reliant on someone who dribbles till he loses the ball or shots wide 99% of the time? What he adds is more defensive work for the rest of the team.

Hes young, he's had some good games and some ineffective games. What do you expect of a young inexperienced player at this level who is already a marked man?! Some of you need to get real...

Are people actually slating townsend?

The only player who shows a bit of quality and plays with heart..

Of course he tries to do it all himself, because they others around him are sleeping. No movement whatsoever.

We are over reliant on him whereas he should be just a talented young kid and fantastic bonus to the team if the others were doing their job properly.

So you're saying that his decision making on when to dribble, when to pass and when to shoot has been good? He's been making the right decisions all things considered?

Hes young, he's had some good games and some ineffective games. What do you expect of a young inexperienced player at this level who is already a marked man?! Some of you need to get real...

I expected something like that.

But I didn't expect that to make him effectively undroppable, seemingly both in the eyes of some of our fans and in the eyes of our manager.

So you're saying that his decision making on when to dribble, when to pass and when to shoot has been good? He's been making the right decisions all things considered?

But I didn't expect that to make him effectively undroppable, seemingly both in the eyes of some of our fans and in the eyes of our manager.

Not sure anyone would consider him undroppable...I dont think he's been as bad as is being made out on here. As for the manager, I dont think hed consider him undroppable either. What if he's doing exactly what AVB instructs him to, be direct, be selfish etc? If thats the case then he's doing fine in the managers' eyes and doesnt deserve to be dropped and to be honest I have no issue with one player in the team playing that way, we need various types of creativity and that is one of them. The problem is at the moment he is more or less the only one can provide that individual brilliance so when it doesn't come off he is the spacegoat....

For his young age, hes showing more desire and quality than any other player.

Its not as if he had been totally unefficient either since the start of the season.

Around good players with England, he was fantastic..

Hes young and he tries hard. Why dont you slate expensive signing intead who are proven and hardly running around?

Not sure anyone would consider him undroppable...I dont think he's been as bad as is being made out on here. As for the manager, I dont think hed consider him undroppable either. What if he's doing exactly what AVB instructs him to, be direct, be selfish etc? If thats the case then he's doing fine in the managers' eyes and doesnt deserve to be dropped and to be honest I have no issue with one player in the team playing that way, we need various types of creativity and that is one of them. The problem is at the moment he is more or less the only one can provide that individual brilliance so when it doesn't come off he is the spacegoat....

I've seen several posters on here claim that he's been our best attacking player this season, quite clearly too apparently. Also seen it said that it would be madness to drop him or something similar.

AVB probably doesn't consider him undroppable, but for me at least he's showing him way too much credit.

I'm not buying the "he's just doing what he's being instructed to do". Why isn't Eriksen who has a cracking shot and dribbling ability, Sig who we know can score from distance or Lamela playing in a similar selfish way? Makes no sense to me that AVB would instruct Townsend to be super selfish whilst not asking others to do the same...

So you didn't find it frustrating today? Him dribbling into blind alleys, him taking rather hopeless looking shots after taking too many touches so he had already been closed down? You thought that was fine? We must have been watching different games. And after the interplay and link-up play Lamela showed midweek it was even more frustrating than usual.

Its not as if he had been totally unefficient either since the start of the season.

Hes young and he tries hard. Why dont you slate expensive signing intead who are proven and hardly running around?

He doesn't try hard. He's greedy and wasteful and doesn't track back properly.

He doesn't try hard. He's greedy and wasteful and doesn't track back properly.

Wasteful? In comparaison to who? The top players? Yes maybe.

But not in comparaison to our team, because they are all wasteful in our team at the moment, the easy chances were missed by Soldado, Eriksen and Others today.

Its quite a funny comment you make because I often think Townsend creates his own chances on his own actually running past 2 or 3 players while the others are watching him, just like they were watching Bale last season...

Well done completely ignoring my questions to you. My entire reply to you was in the form of two questions directly aimed at one of your sentences. Don't let that stop you though.

He's a year older than Eriksen and Lamela. I think they've both shown some real quality this season, quality that has been more effective in bringing us tangible results than what Townsend has brought to the team.

I wasn't aware that I was one of the people that was slating Townsend. I think your bar is set pretty low for when criticism turns into slating someone, but opinions will vary on this too I suppose.

Who are these expensive signings that are proven and "hardly running around" then?

Wasteful? In comparaison to who? The top players? Yes maybe.

But not in comparaison to our team, because they are all wasteful in our team at the moment, the easy chances were missed by Soldado, Eriksen and Others today.

Its quite a funny comment you make because I often think Townsend creates his own chances on his own actually running past 2 or 3 players while the others are watching him, just like they were watching Bale last season...

Defoe creates his own chances, then wastes them. Townsend runs till he's surrounded, unless it's sideways and he can get a tame effort off.

I've seen several posters on here claim that he's been our best attacking player this season, quite clearly too apparently. Also seen it said that it would be madness to drop him or something similar.

AVB probably doesn't consider him undroppable, but for me at least he's showing him way too much credit.

I'm not buying the "he's just doing what he's being instructed to do". Why isn't Eriksen who has a cracking shot and dribbling ability, Sig who we know can score from distance or Lamela playing in a similar selfish way? Makes no sense to me that AVB would instruct Townsend to be super selfish whilst not asking others to do the same...

So you didn't find it frustrating today? Him dribbling into blind alleys, him taking rather hopeless looking shots after taking too many touches so he had already been closed down? You thought that was fine? We must have been watching different games. And after the interplay and link-up play Lamela showed midweek it was even more frustrating than usual.

Sig does shoot from distance, as does Eriksen but they are both technical players who create by passing I certainly dont see them being shy of shooting. Townsend is a dribbler, you need someone like that to compliment other types of creative play....tip tap quick passing isnt always going to work hence why Barca are still so reliant on Messi. As for Lamela he doesn't shoot because of a lack of confidence, quite a few occassions he's had the opportunity to but hasnt- hopefully his last game has changed that.

I never said Townsend had a good game today, I just think some should lay off him and enjoy the ride. This season is going to be a learning process. Ive lost count of the number of times people on here have written players off after a matter of months then next season have to accept they are wrong. New players need a year to adapt whether they come from overseas or not. This is Townsends' debut season and he needs these below par performances to help him learn, it won't happen overnight Im afraid but you tend to find managers keep faith in the young players that they feel will reach a high level. Thats not to say Townsend couldn't do with a little rest, especially with Lamela and Lennon loitering in the background.

But I have absolutely no doubt Townsend will be a top player, and am fully prepared to take the rough with the smooth when it comes to his performances....

Sig does shoot from distance, as does Eriksen but they are both technical players who create by passing I certainly dont see them being shy of shooting. Townsend is a dribbler, you need someone like that to compliment other types of creative play....tip tap quick passing isnt always going to work hence why Barca are still so reliant on Messi. As for Lamela he doesn't shoot because of a lack of confidence, quite a few occassions he's had the opportunity to but hasnt- hopefully his last game has changed that.

I never said Townsend had a good game today, I just think some should lay off him and enjoy the ride. This season is going to be a learning process. Ive lost count of the number of times people on here have written players off after a matter of months then next season have to accept they are wrong. New players need a year to adapt whether they come from overseas or not. This is Townsends' debut season and he needs these below par performances to help him learn, it won't happen overnight Im afraid but you tend to find managers keep faith in the young players that they feel will reach a high level. Thats not to say Townsend couldn't do with a little rest, especially with Lamela and Lennon loitering in the background.

But I have absolutely no doubt Townsend will be a top player, and am fully prepared to take the rough with the smooth when it comes to his performances....

None of our players shoot regularly from the kind of position and situations Townsend does though, in my opinion at least.

Tip tap quick passing might not always work, but so far we haven't really seen Townsend be the most effective either so not sure how much a point that adds up to.

I'm not writing him off, very few people are I think. And those that are can quite comfortably be ignored at this point. But I think the criticism from most of the posters here has been valid, and I think as a regular starter for us he shouldn't be beyond criticism.

Lamela did not play a blinder against Sheriff. He was good but not great.

Andros did little wrong and was better than OK today forcing I believe 2? saves from the goalie and feeding Walker to put in crosses on the right.

It does not seem to me that Lamela is begging AVB to put him in the side. I think Lamela is quite happy to only play cameos this season.

He scored a goal and won a penalty. You could see how much his confidence grew from that and AVB should have let him build on that today. Not sure how else he is supposed to make AVB play him. We didn't pay 30m for him to sit on the bench and he's not going to get better if he stays there.

Townsend did little wrong today? We must have been watching different games. The guy's decision making is shocking, he can't cross, he doesn't know when to get rid of the ball and he almost always drifts into the middle where it's too congested and it makes us too predictable. Bale comparisons are pathetic and embarrassing.

Last edited:

He scored a goal and won a penalty. You could see how much his confidence grew from that and AVB should have let him build on that today. Not sure how else he is supposed to make AVB play him. We didn't pay 30m for him to sit on the bench and he's not going to get better if he stays there.

Townsend did little wrong today? We must have been watching different games. The guy's decision making is shocking, he can't cross, he doesn't know when to get rid of the ball and he almost always drifts into the middle where it's too congested and it makes is too predictable. Bale comparisons are pathetic and embarrassing.

Can one of his fans please explain, why he does not get ANY goals and assists and how long the team should suffer that? It has been 11 games of nothing.

Saudi Sportswashing Machine's defence down that wing was exceptional. but we should have found and used more space in the middle but didn't.

It's not his fault he gets picked and you are right, other players have also been blamed but as I said, they are seasoned internationals.

The whole inverted winger, one up front is a project. If anyone is to blame then blame the manager.

:-k ;)

MOTd2 highlighted how closely marked and doubled up on he was today which I didn't norice as much during the game

With that in kind why can't we exploit the space that must leave?

MOTd2 highlighted how closely marked and doubled up on he was today which I didn't norice as much during the game

because everyones in the middle. (danger of the inverted winger). So the only space would technically be on the left, but Vertonghen isnt as attacking as Rose to utilize it. However, if we had Lennon on the left, or even Lamela, it might have been different (if both instructed to beat man)

If he was out injured for a while, most would think it could liberate us .. He could cost AVB his job.

The media hype him up because he is English, maybe AVB is afraid of the backlash.

The thick pundits seem to have completely overlooked the awkward fact he hasn't fecking done anything.

Just what do we rely on him for?

If he was out injured for a while, most would think it could liberate us .. He could cost AVB his job.

The media hype him up because he is English, maybe AVB is afraid of the backlash.

The thick pundits seem to have completely overlooked the awkward fact he hasn't fecking done anything.

Just what do we rely on him for?

In theory beating a man and crossing the ball. But the inverted wingers system doesn't do that which is why I personally think its stupid having Soldado and playing a system suited to a player like Giroud.

Townsend is a very good player still learning his trade but when he keeps in cutting and taking space away, plus his shoot on sight policy he is quickly rubbing up fans the wring way and it wing be long until their is a backlash against him

Personally why don't we okay him on the left where we have struggled all season?

Back