• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

Re: Official - Townsend

It wasn't just a 'comment' though was it? It was a joke. The context of the joke (space travel!!!!) was far different from what it would have been had he just been 'making a comment about passing the ball to a black player' and calling him a monkey.

And context is so important. If we are going to dispense with context then anyone can draw offence from anything.

what was actually said?

Herbert told talkSPORT: "I think you need some outside oversight of what's happening...Kick it Out are in a delicate position in raising these issues.

"We will be putting in a formal complaint and would like a transcript of what investigation took place.

"You have to understand how justice works. We are talking about fairness and equality for all in football - that shouldn't be rocket science."

:ross:

Very funny.

Did it ever move???? (it was meant to) :D

I can't even remember why I chose it :D Perhaps I need to get creative...

Oh by the way, as you're on the line - Went to Jamaica Plantations in C0ckfosters (where I first met Edgar Davids) and they have Blackstrap Capsules!!! Didn't buy, need to do some research :D

Sorry dude, just logged off after posting that.

I was sure it used to slowly wave from side to side, maybe it was someone elses similar avatar on another forum.

I'd be cautious about capsules unless pure, if fortified with iron for me they are no-no's (but if anemic or low ferritin then this muddies the waters). I bet they cost about 20-50x the price of unadulterated molasses as well.

Stop being a wuss and eat your molasses by the spoon :)

I really cannot stand this tooting that Roy was being overcomplicated. As if they know what he should have done. As if after half time we capitulated! If the players returned after half time confused and didn't know what they were doing then maybe these people have a point. But we played well. It's just a desperate attempt to piggy back onto the story. I can't believe there's a video there of Sam Allardyce saying 'Roy's not racist'. Of course he isn't! Why does it even need to be stated!?

The story goes that Roy actually told a shortened version of the joke. Which is why the player who did report this was probably too thick to get the context. I wouldn't be surprised if Roy said 'You know that joke about NASA sending the monkey into space? Chris, feed the monkey! Wayne, feed the monkey! Andros is going to be our match winner. Pathetic to say that it is in any way racist and even that Roy used a sensitive term. Utterly pathetic. We can't talk about monkeys now because someone may get offended? Ugh.

It's pathetic!
All of it.

As for Rio Ferdinand situation (which was raised earlier by someone), the reason the guy was booted instead of Terry is that Rio has an unfortunate problem, which is he cannot keep his ****ing mouth shut and thus exerts the sort of disruptive player-power influence that can undermine a dressing room easily. The way in which he played the race card in that specific case was a disgrace, IMHO, to all the players of all ethnicities who have genuinely suffered racism in football. I dislike what I know of Terry immensely, but he does tend to do his dirty laundry away from the gutter press and broad sheets.

As for the 'you haven't been abused' stuff, as someone with a Middle Eastern father, I absolutely took my unfair share of 'sand n****r' as a kid and dealt with it accordingly (this meant, depending on the mouth from which it was shat, I'd either laugh or fight).

I can't see a whole lot wrong with that to be honest. The thrust of his opinion being that different managers handle the half time in different ways. I'm sure the editor just sensationalised the headline. Harmless piece from a gormless man. Nothing to see here.

Another kick in the ribs from the son of a man who spent the previous week (in a serialized piece from his book) basically telling the FA they got it wrong, chose the wrong man and don't know a good manager, thus a back-handed ****ging of Woy. IMO anyway mate...

and like i said if someone cant see how that could make a black person uncomfortable or anoyed that a monkey phrase was used to describe another black person then that person is ignorant. and quite frankly sheltered.

and i mean that also.

you should go out there and make a monkey joke to a black guy, infront of a group of black people..and when they give you they "hey, be sensitive man" look...not even "you ****ing racist ****" look. be sure to tell them that they are all ****ing idiots and they have no basis to feel that way. even if someon of them have had those phrases chanted at them on the way to school. Just cause you think its fine then it must be acceptable.

P.S:- you know the black guy you made the joke to. the two of you are close friends

I think, sadly, you hit the tickle my balls with a feather with the 'centuries' comment a few posts back...it is really, really sad and somewhat pathetic that now people have to be careful both how, and in front of whom, we use the word 'monkey'...I think MOST civilized, intelligent people can tell the difference in contextual use between using that word as a word to describe, well, a monkey, versus using it as a racial slur.

Again, the greatest irony of ALL this is that the most 'monkey' like footballers I have seen are all WHITE!!!!!

For what it's worth, I cannot possibly envision a context in which I would use the word 'monkey' where it could be construed as racist.

Herbert told talkSPORT: "I think you need some outside oversight of what's happening...Kick it Out are in a delicate position in raising these issues.

"We will be putting in a formal complaint and would like a transcript of what investigation took place.

"You have to understand how justice works. We are talking about fairness and equality for all in football - that shouldn't be rocket science."

:ross:

Peter Herbert should just **** off. Now. He is a joke.

We delighted to announce that Andros Townsend has signed a new four-year contract with the Club

=D>

BW37sfxCIAAPHe8.jpg

https://twitter.com/SpursOfficial/status/391245485639360512

Well deserved.

Here here!

Happy to have been forced to request a ride on his band-waggon to be fair. Have to say, what an amazing situation for the club. 3 months ago some of us were heartbroken by the Bale move. 100 million quid and an Andros later, Bale cannot get it going in the face of injury and Ronaldo and we are on the cusp of Britian's next explosive superstar talent. What a club!!!!! ;-)

and like i said if someone cant see how that could make a black person uncomfortable or anoyed that a monkey phrase was used to describe another black person then that person is ignorant. and quite frankly sheltered.

and i mean that also.

you should go out there and make a monkey joke to a black guy, infront of a group of black people..and when they give you they "hey, be sensitive man" look...not even "you ****ing racist ****" look. be sure to tell them that they are all ****ing idiots and they have no basis to feel that way. even if someon of them have had those phrases chanted at them on the way to school. Just cause you think its fine then it must be acceptable.

P.S:- you know the black guy you made the joke to. the two of you are close friends

It wasn't a description though, was it? It was a metaphor, no?

they actually exist. ;)

on a serious note, i agree with you about eh society of black lawyers thing. not their fan at all

actually in Brent council they have something called...black cancer care....now swomething like that makes no sense to me. quite clearly divisive. if there were whites only cancer care people would think we time travelled to the 60s

Could it be anything to do with Sickle Cell? That affects black people only doesn't it?

I'd like to think that Townsend would stay with us if he goes on to make it "big" considering he comes from a family of Spurs fans and has been with the club since the age of 8.

It wasn't a description though, was it? It was a metaphor, no?

Exactly. If it was James Milner that had been tearing up the game and Roy wanted to make the point that he should be fed the ball, he could have made the same joke and no one would have thought anything of it. To say he couldn't therefore make the same joke with Andros replacing Milner (when the joke itself has nothing to do with the respective footballers skin colour and is all to do with how well he is performing on the pitch) is utterly pathetic. What a sad world we live in if that is the case.

It was not a description of Townsend. He was not describing Townsend as a monkey. He was describing him as the main threat to the opposition that would allow the team to win the game and qualify for the World Cup.

AS, I don't know what exactly was said. If Roy told the whole joke, and then finished with 'Andros is as important to us as the monkey in that joke, so keep feeding the monkey' then it isn't racist and he has said nothing wrong whatsoever. If Roy told a shortened version of the joke and said 'you know that joke about the monkey going into space? Andros is our monkey, feed the monkey!' it isn't racist and there is nothing wrong with it. If he then repeated 'feed the monkey' to different players that were guilty of not passing Andros the ball enough in the first half, it still isn't racist and there still isn't anything wrong with it.

It is one big nothing story and it ridiculous that it has started so much debate. Of course racism is bad, but I think Colleymore had it right straight away when he said rubbish like this distracts from the real issues. And The Sun are absolute cretins for continuing to try and legitimise the story.

Peter Herbert should just **** off. Now. He is a joke.

Area from the serious debate for a second I'm surprised no where else on the internet other than this forum seems to have picked up on the hilarity of that bolded bit.

When I read it I almost couldn't believe it, it's like we are all living in some parody dream world where stuff like this is actually important, and Peter Herbert was the punch line.

I'd like to think that Townsend would stay with us if he goes on to make it "big" considering he comes from a family of Spurs fans and has been with the club since the age of 8.

Footballers who stay with the same club throughout their whole career are very rare. Most up and off if there is a better offer on the table.

That said, 90% of the board will have turned on within the space of a year when teams start to pay him more attention or he hits his first sustained dip in form.

i dont think i have ever said a bad word to you since i have been here as i hold nothing but th utmost respect for what you have done here. but you are completely mad and ignorant to say that

you've basically called anyone that found that offensive stupid and overly sensitive, which i think is some bull****

Being slightly pedantic here but I called them stupid or overly sensitive and, IMO, with good reason.

If they've misunderstood a very simple joke with a very simple intent then they've been stupid. I say this with the assumption that the conversation was as reported (I've yet to hear any conflicting views).

If they've understood the joke/intent and still got offended then yes, they are too easily offended. The reason being that the monkey quite clearly isn't even the point of the joke. You could replace NASA with Roscosmos and the monkey with a dog and the joke's still exactly the same.

You could equally tell the same joke in an attempt to get the team to pass the ball to Rooney without it being racist. In that case, are you suggesting we don't allow England's black and mixed race players to be part of some jokes because of their skin colour? I'm not very comfortable with that.

Back