• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pirlo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enter the Pitbull

Luke Young
:-k

Tottenham have been linked with Andrea Pirlo by former Chelsea boss Gianluca Vialli.
How well informed is former Chelsea and Watford boss Gianluca Vialli?
The Italian is now a pundit for Sky Italia, a studio guest during the Serie A glamour clash between Juventus and AC Milan.
Juventus emerged 3-2 winners - with centre-back Giorgio Chiellini scoring what proved to be the decisive goal.
The champions' first goal was scored by the evergreen Andrea Pirlo, 34, who also went onto hit the woodwork later in the game.
Pirlo's future is currently a hot topic in his homeland, because he is out of contract in June and free to negotiate with clubs as of January.
After the match, Gianluca Vialli told Italian television that his sources had linked Pirlo with a switch to Tottenham Hotspur.
He said: "I got the rumours from London. There are contacts between Andrea Pirlo and Tottenham for the next season."
Spurs have a multitude of midfield options available, so a move for Pirlo may not make a great deal of sense from a positional perspective - but when a player like Pirlo comes available, things change.
He was a player written off two years ago when he joined Juventus from AC Milan, responding by leading the Turin giants to two Scudetto's.
After a withering home defeat to West Ham, it's hard to imagine Andrea Pirlo even a year older would not improve the club's fortunes even slightly - and allow existing the players to learn so much from him.
A word of caution on Vialli's comments however. The Mail published an article 12 days ago claiming Pirlo was being monitored by Manchester United, Chelsea, and Tottenham. He of course mentions just Spurs, but the possibility is very much that a case of whispering gossip has simply found it's way to the Italian.
Vialli could have his own sources and be privy to an approach by Spurs. If so, this is an interesting one to watch going into the New Year, however the fact he describes it as 'rumours' likely tells it's own story.

[video=youtube;7eS8dULT84Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eS8dULT84Y[/video]

When we signed Eidur on loan back in Jan 2010 I remember it not making any sense to me nor anyone else on this forum for that matter.

When I look back on it now it turned out to be exactly what we needed, that little extra inch, that bit of steel that was missing. If we hadn't signed him I don't think we would've finished fourth that year.

If we signed Prilo he could be that a little bit of vision from deep that we have been missing.

Last edited:
Nothing to see here. Spurs are just the gold standard mentionable club when you want to get your player's availability out there.

Would love to see him at the club, he's one of my favourite players about, but not sure that he would really be what we need.

An outstanding player, but unrealistic. Why would he try his hand at English football at this stage in his career? He is rumoured to be slightly unhappy at Juve this season, and we are a go to club for rumours

a player like him will want a big payday, and he aint getting that here at Spurs

It's such an obvious play by his agent to get contract negotiations with Juventus going. I don't understand why they've even bothered.

really?

personally i'd take

Really? You think Pirlo at his age and in his position would be able to withstand our physical league and pace? Perhaps 2/3 years ago but at 34 now very risky imo.

Plus it would be a big indictment of AVB and all the money spent if we needed to sign a 34 yo who no doubt has been world class for years but for the outlay AVB and/or the players bought for nearly 100M need to set-up to the plate and NOW

Really? You think Pirlo at his age and in his position would be able to withstand our physical league and pace? Perhaps 2/3 years ago but at 34 now very risky imo.

Plus it would be a big indictment of AVB and all the money spent if we needed to sign a 34 yo who no doubt has been world class for years but for the outlay AVB and/or the players bought for nearly 100M need to set-up to the plate and NOW

I'd love Pirlo around. He's won things, and knows how to win things. Plus, he's professional and knows the game inside out. Don't underestimate the value of a vastly experienced head to a young, somewhat mentally suspect team like ours.

I'd love Pirlo around. He's won things, and knows how to win things. Plus, he's professional and knows the game inside out. Don't underestimate the value of a vastly experienced head to a young, somewhat mentally suspect team like ours.

I get those things and I also thought getting in Naybet 9 years ago was one of the most astute pieces if business we've ever done. However, if we hadn't brought in as many midfielders as we have, then yes i'd have said 'why not' (even with my misgivings over whether he could cope in this league) but with all the number of players brought in, to then get in Pirlo would not say much good about the players and/or AVB himself.

I get those things and I also thought getting in Naybet 9 years ago was one of the most astute pieces if business we've ever done. However, if we hadn't brought in as many midfielders as we have, then yes i'd have said 'why not' (even with my misgivings over whether he could cope in this league) but with all the number of players brought in, to then get in Pirlo would not say much good about the players and/or AVB himself.

Getting in any players in January or next summer would surely look bad considering our summer splurge, as it indicates that there are still deficiencies in the squad that need to be addressed, even after spending 110 million quid. But it doesn't mean we shouldn't: filling holes in the squad and addressing needs is crucial to our forward progress.

We shouldn't care about looking bad, or being considered deficient. We need experience, a cool head to take control of situations like yesterday when the team is in freefall, without effective leadership. Gallas was a great stopgap signing in that regard, shoring up our defense and providing inspiring leadership in our 10-11 CL campaign (I doubt we could have gotten past both Milans without his constant cajoling and inspiring defensive play). Pirlo could well turn out to have the same effect on our midfield.

i just want a guy that can take set pieces and who would be the standout best passer in our team by a country mile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back