• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

D-Day

I think that the western area of your map probably relates to Operation Veritable... I can't really see clearly enough on your map though. A little digging on the Forces War Records web site shows that the 4th Battalion Grenadier Guards were supported by the 6th Guards Tank phalanx... I would hazard a guess that that might have been your grandfather's unit as they ended up in Lubeck at the end of the war....

Try sticking your Grandad's name into this web-site...http://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/Ww2-Records?

Last edited:
This letter from my Grandad, shows what regiment. The letter incidently has him proposing to my nan. I blocked out his name and number, just in case.

2s6o7qh.jpg

I think that the western area of your map probably relates to Operation Veritable... I can't really see clearly enough on your map though. A little digging on the Forces War Records web site shows that the 4th Battalion Grenadier Guards were supported by the 6th Guards Tank phalanx... I would hazard a guess that that might have been your grandfather's unit as they ended up in Lubeck at the end of the war....

Try sticking your Grandad's name into this web-site...http://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/Ww2-Records?

Thanks for that, just put in his name and number that I presume is the right one, thing is on the search it doesn't seem to matter whether I put in the number with his name or name on its own.

Unfortunately the results don't seem to match up really, are the records on the site comprehensive of everyone. There was one person in a tank division but the second initial (middle name) was a J instead of a G. There was 11 to choose from but you could rule out nearly all of them through what regiment they are in.

I think I will get my mum to join up to that site and go through the 11 people with my Mum's maiden name. Will update you with what we find.

I'm not sure it is comprehensive to be honest... although it's pretty good. What threw me in some other research I was doing was that a relative we all knew as Jack was actually called Herbert...! Apparently this was fairly common in days gone by. Good luck

We have his enlistment paper or copy of his Attestation and his name on this is how we all knew him as. We have his attesting officers name too.. will enter his name in that link too. Its a start anyway. Thanks

Superhudd, if you join a WW2 forum, you'll probably get lots of help. I can't recommend a specific one, but I'm on one for WW1 and they're really helpful.

I've been on many WW1 & WW2 tours, Arnhem, Dambusters, Colditz, Berlin, Auschwitz, Berlin, Munich, Nuremberg, Bertesgarten, Somme, Passchendaele and of course Normandy. There's nothing quite like it, makes you very proud and humble.

It's good if you have specific people in mind when you visit battle sites and cemeteries. If I was you I'd take your Grandfather's map on tour and retrace his journeys. It would make a fantastic trip!

Let us know how you get on, id be interested to know

Just came home from Israel yesterday. Army finished about a week and a half ago. Couldn't describe it as anything better than hell. The amount of press-ups, the discipline, the lack of compassion. Was genuinely horrible. Maybe it's because it's the Israeli army and they really aren't in a position to be taking flimflam, but during my time there I just wanted to get out. Firing an M16 was cool though

Back