• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official TV Thread ***

The Wire and The Sopranos, along with Deadwood and The Shield, stand head and shoulders above any other TV show I've watched; although Boardwalk Empire might join that very top tier but I'm only halfway through season 2 currently. Breaking Bad and Dexter both very good but not quite in the same class imho.

Ah Boardwalk Empire, I've been meaning to give that a go for ages. Looks like a great program and I just fudging love Steve Buscemi

Ah Boardwalk Empire, I've been meaning to give that a go for ages. Looks like a great program and I just fudging love Steve Buscemi

Is quite a slow burner, with a massive crushendo at the end of each season. After about 5 or 6 episodes I was ready to give up on it, but glad I didn't

**POSSIBLE BOARDWALK EMPIRE SPOILER**

Problem I find with Boardwalk Empire is you know they won't kill off Steve Buscemi (because he's the main event) and yet they put him in tight situations all the time. In Sopranos you knew Tony would not be killed, and Swarengen in Deadwood but they didn't make out like those two were going to be killed all the time. They were generally quite comfortable.

It's the same with Al Capone in BE. You know how he dies and so you know it's not going to happen in the dangerous situations they put him in.

It is very good though.

**POSSIBLE BOARDWALK EMPIRE SPOILER**

Problem I find with Boardwalk Empire is you know they won't kill off Steve Buscemi (because he's the main event) and yet they put him in tight situations all the time. In Sopranos you knew Tony would not be killed, and Swarengen in Deadwood but they didn't make out like those two were going to be killed all the time. They were generally quite comfortable.

It's the same with Al Capone in BE. You know how he dies and so you know it's not going to happen in the dangerous situations they put him in.

It is very good though.

Steve Buscemi was interviewed about that, you know. Nucky Thompson is loosely based on the real-life king of the Boardwalk, Enoch 'Nucky' Johnson, and apparently the producers of Boardwalk hired Buscemi with the promise that he'd play Nucky. Buscemi thought 'great, that means I die peacefully in 1968', but then was told that who would actually be playing was Nucky Thompson, a fictional character based on Enoch Johnson and not a real-life portrayal of the man. When he went to the writers and asked why they changed the name, they apparently answered that they wanted to have the latitude to kill him off if necessary to keep the show's drama going, and that his death was an option they were seriously considering at some point down the line.

I'm not too concerned if they kill him off: the supporting cast are phenomenal, with the likes of Shea Wigham, Stephen Graham, Vincent Piazza and Michael K.Williams providing plenty of great actors on the cast to elevate to a more prominent role if need be. That is one of the main reasons it's one of my favorite TV shows of all time, to be honest: the acting talent on the show. Steve Buscemi definitely adds to that. But I wouldn't be so comfortable in Nucky's seeming 'lead-role' invincibility, if the writers' early intentions are anything to go by. :)

Steve Buscemi was interviewed about that, you know. Nucky Thompson is loosely based on the real-life king of the Boardwalk, Enoch 'Nucky' Johnson, and apparently the producers of Boardwalk hired Buscemi with the promise that he'd play Nucky. Buscemi thought 'great, that means I die peacefully in 1968', but then was told that who would actually be playing was Nucky Thompson, a fictional character based on Enoch Johnson and not a real-life portrayal of the man. When he went to the writers and asked why they changed the name, they apparently answered that they wanted to have the latitude to kill him off if necessary to keep the show's drama going, and that his death was an option they were seriously considering at some point down the line.

I'm not too concerned if they kill him off: the supporting cast are phenomenal, with the likes of Shea Wigham, Stephen Graham, Vincent Piazza and Michael K.Williams providing plenty of great actors on the cast to elevate to a more prominent role if need be. That is one of the main reasons it's one of my favorite TV shows of all time, to be honest: the acting talent on the show. Steve Buscemi definitely adds to that. But I wouldn't be so comfortable in Nucky's seeming 'lead-role' invincibility, if the writers' early intentions are anything to go by. :)

Haha, I'd forgotten he was a real life character as well, I had no idea how he died until your post. That's interesting information. I quite want him to die as find him annoying in the show so that's good news ;-). I found a character who has already died to be one of the most interesting but we shouldn't talk about that as some people are only on Series 2.

**SPOILER**

I don't like where they've gone with van Alden. Think it would have been better if he just stayed straight laced but psychotic. He was reminding me of Russell Crowe in LA Confidential and Timothy Olaphant in Deadwood and Justified (and I like that kind of character) but now he's just drifting into obscurity a bit.

Sometimes I find it a bit sensationalist but I mostly do love watching it and its acting and style are fantastic.

Haha, I'd forgotten he was a real life character as well, I had no idea how he died until your post. That's interesting information. I quite want him to die as find him annoying in the show so that's good news ;-). I found a character who has already died to be one of the most interesting but we shouldn't talk about that as some people are only on Series 2.

**SPOILER**

I don't like where they've gone with van Alden. Think it would have been better if he just stayed straight laced but psychotic. He was reminding me of Russell Crowe in LA Confidential and Timothy Olaphant in Deadwood and Justified (and I like that kind of character) but now he's just drifting into obscurity a bit.

Sometimes I find it a bit sensationalist but I mostly do love watching it and its acting and style are fantastic.

***SPOILER***

Yeah, I found it interesting as well. The notion that a show would quite casually kill off their main man in order to keep things fresh intrigued me, especially considering that the writers (Terence Winter, for example) are basically the same people who worked on the Sopranos, a very character-based show. I didn't really expect them to go through with it until I watched the finale of season two. The minute they killed off Jimmy Darmody (who I thought would be an altruist-antagonist character well into the future) was the minute I really started believing that they could very well kill Nucky off too if the show demanded it. Especially considering the third season's general lack of a clear antagonist: sure, Rosetti was a decent villain, but he lacked context and back story, seemingly just inserted into the show to provide a despicable enemy that Nucky eventually deals with. That definitely hurt the show, and I cannot imagine that the writers didn't know it would. Thus, that they still went ahead and killed Darmody proves to me that they probably will kill Nucky when his constant close shaves become boring.

And yeah, I don't like Van Alden's descent into criminality either. He went from being a genuinely memorable cop to just another gangster (albeit a cringe-worthy one) in the space of two seasons, and placing his story arc so far from the Boardwalk really took away a lot of the impact of his scenes for me. I hope they turn him around come September, because at the moment he's only slightly above Margaret Schroeder in the list of characters I don't give a damn about. I am immensely looking forward to seeing the New Yorkers again, though: Rothstein, Lansky and Luciano are some of my favorite supporting characters on television. :)

***SPOILER***

Yeah, I found it interesting as well. The notion that a show would quite casually kill off their main man in order to keep things fresh intrigued me, especially considering that the writers (Terence Winter, for example) are basically the same people who worked on the Sopranos, a very character-based show. I didn't really expect them to go through with it until I watched the finale of season two. The minute they killed off Jimmy Darmody (who I thought would be an altruist-antagonist character well into the future) was the minute I really started believing that they could very well kill Nucky off too if the show demanded it. Especially considering the third season's general lack of a clear antagonist: sure, Rosetti was a decent villain, but he lacked context and back story, seemingly just inserted into the show to provide a despicable enemy that Nucky eventually deals with. That definitely hurt the show, and I cannot imagine that the writers didn't know it would. Thus, that they still went ahead and killed Darmody proves to me that they probably will kill Nucky when his constant close shaves become boring.

And yeah, I don't like Van Alden's descent into criminality either. He went from being a genuinely memorable cop to just another gangster (albeit a cringe-worthy one) in the space of two seasons, and placing his story arc so far from the Boardwalk really took away a lot of the impact of his scenes for me. I hope they turn him around come September, because at the moment he's only slightly above Margaret Schroeder in the list of characters I don't give a damn about. I am immensely looking forward to seeing the New Yorkers again, though: Rothstein, Lansky and Luciano are some of my favorite supporting characters on television. :)

The introduction of Jeffrey Wright next season should provide still more moments to savour.

Tried watching The Wire from the start twice. Only got to about episode 4 and got bored. So frigging slow. I might give it another try one day but I really can't see what the fuss is about.

Tried watching The Wire from the start twice. Only got to about episode 4 and got bored. So frigging slow. I might give it another try one day but I really can't see what the fuss is about.

You really need to stick out at least the first season. I promise you that even if you don't carry on watching it (which you will) then you won't feel you have totally wasted your time.

It was never made to be an 'adventure an episode' type programme. The tension and twists and characters develop through the whole series. It represents amazingly a living breathing city and its inhabitants so much so it's sometimes like a documentary. The diversity of characters and their motives/how they interact.

I was l late to it and I don't think I took to it straight away either but then went on to burn through all the box sets! :)

Marky was it you who said about underbelly? Watched a few episodes of first series last night and tonight. fudge yeah proper good so far really enjoying it.

Watching Stephen Fry's Keys to the City all about the London you dont see, very interesting indeed, love stuff like this...

533992_10151803424420406_1787614111_n.jpg

So very excited about Breaking Bad tonight. Does anyone know if there is anywhere you can watch it online live other than Netflix?

Sorry I got your hopes up, just checked and got that wrong, on Netflix from tomorrow. But yeah if anyone knows anywhere I can watch it live I'm willing to stay up til 3AM or whatever to see it

Back