• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Working abroad

So I've just graduated from uni and have no idea what I wanna be doing on a permanent basis. As a result I have an overwhelming urge to fudge off somewhere, get any kind of job and bum around somewhere for a year or so.

Has anyone had an experience of this kind, and if so what? Ideally I'd love to go to South America, possibly somewhere like Buenos Aires and maybe save up to go to Brazil 2014.

I know teaching English is a popular choice, so that is a possibility. But anything- bar work, being a tour guide etc would appeal to me.

So yeah, any help on where to get started/the easiest jobs for English speakers to find would be much appreciated.

More hot chicks in that place than you'll be able to cope with. I'd definitely do it. I've moved city about four times in my life and never regretted it.

I did this and went to Buenos Aires for half a year. Was supposed to be a year, but couldn't really find any decent way of earning money there, so only stayed for as long as my savings could support me. We hung out with quite a few British people there, a lot of them were English teachers, but the pay they got was horrible. I think they mostly did it to get the experience more than anything. Quite a few Irish pubs in Buenos Aires too, and pretty much only British people working there - but again, the pay isn't great. I'd work a few months at home if I were you, save up some money to keep in reserve, would make it a lot less stressful while there. :)

What was your impression of Buenos Aires overall?

More hot chicks in that place than you'll be able to cope with. I'd definitely do it. I've moved city about four times in my life and never regretted it.

I love latina chicks, right up my street, so that is part of the attraction I must admit :lol:. Went to Palma in Majorca on holiday a couple of years ago and the standard of girls was unreal. Must have fallen in love at least 20 times.

What was your impression of Buenos Aires overall?

I have been to Buenos Aries, sorry for butting in, but I found it to be utterly brilliant. Its a classier Brazil. The women have the looks as well as the body (brazil really only has the body) but forget the ladies, its the country itself. Its a bit more modern, people are friendlier, food is better, nightlife is vibrant. As Daisuk mentions a few Brits have gone over there, I guess they have the same opinion of Brazil hence going to BA.

I write for a PR company. Mostly it is corporate clients, charities, schools. Some big ones. I do their press releases, award submissions, interview answers, speeches, as well as editing work my colleagues do and advising (/criticising the existing plans) on strategy. That sort of thing. It's a fairly big company, HQ is in Dubai although it was founded in Saudi. Because the standard of English is SO VERY, VERY poor amongst members of the local media (mostly from India, to be honest. Untrained and work goes through unchecked), clients prefer a native English speaker to basically do the journalist work for them. My work goes into national, regional and some global publications as is, without any editing by idiots who don't know what the words mean.

It's a nice place to live. Nice salary, good weather all year round, not much pressure, cheap cost of living. No religious rules that put me out in any way, except the shops being closed during the day while Ramadan was on.

Where in the Gulf are you looking?

There may be some potential roles coming up in Kuwait.

Would prefer Abu Dhabi or somewhere if I had the choice.

haha - yeah my film taste has a great deal to be desired for

What did you do in Calcutta? Was it for work or you just decided to move there?

Sorry, missed this. Worked in the home for the sick & dying destitute's (that's what it was called when I worked there). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalighat_Home_for_the_Dying

Good journal type picture blog = http://www.wimklerkx.nl/EN/PROJECTS/TV.html#0

Was in early '94, jeez where do the years go...

Pay wasn't up to much :)

Last edited:
Back