• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Geordie in Peace

What's a realistic aim for your team this season? Getting back into the top 4 - decent pops for a domestic trophy
Where do your team need to strengthen to achieve this? Midfield you can just never have enough....oh all right then 2 strikers!!!!
Which new Premier League players are you looking forward to seeing? Paulinho, Bony, Cornelius

Which of your players do you predict having a big season? Paulinho, Holtby will rock it and that welsh bloke

Which of your players do you expect to have a disappointing season? Dawson
Which fixtures do you immediately look for? NLD, Utd, City, West Ham

Which away game are you looking forward to the most/least? Most: Emirates. Least: Chelsea

What's your most memorable game against Saudi Sportswashing Machine? 5-0 home win, February 2012, good times then went quickly sour

Saudi Sportswashing Machine have been in the papers for all the wrong reasons again, what's your take on the Kinnear debacle? After a peaceful and tranquil 6 months with no major Dramas, Mike Ashley's alarm 'do something to surprise/annoy the Saudi Sportswashing Machine fans went off and he acted in spectacular fashion....feel sorry for you guys.

Which Saudi Sportswashing Machine players would you like to see in your side? Ben Arfa when playing is handy, D Santon looks a good prospect, and Cabaye is just Charmont

Pardew winds up quite a few opposition managers, what's your take on him? Is he playing mind games? Or is he just an Average/Bad manager with a mouth? Went down in my estimations a lot last season...unlucky with injuries but I found his excuses of Europa league(AVB DIDNT MOAN LOL) and injuries to be poor. With the talent at your disposal you should not have been sweating on survival away at qpr.

Where do you expect Saudi Sportswashing Machine to finish this season? Top 10 unless Kinnear assumes control....then oh dear

As an additional question;

Which Commentators/presenters do you feel have a grudge against your club and which are more favourable?

Lawro(twunt) is definitely against us, he had us finishing below QPR in his prediction league :ross:

A lot of the Skysports crew seem to credit us a lot, I suppose that's mostly down to us having Bale though.

Which Commentators/presenters do you feel have a grudge against your club and which are more favourable?

It baffles me why some worry about this. I could not give a flying fudge if Bloggs from the Bugle hates Spurs or Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

My mates support Liverpool, United and.. gulp.. Arsenal (sorry no Magpies) and I get and give plenty of banter. None of it matters..it's just fun.

It baffles me why some worry about this. I could not give a flying fudge if Bloggs from the Bugle hates Spurs or Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

My mates support Liverpool, United and.. gulp.. Arsenal (sorry no Magpies) and I get and give plenty of banter. None of it matters..it's just fun.

This. I like it when the likes of Shebby Singh (formerly of ESPN), pipe up in favour of the club (gives me a bit of a warm feeling), but I take most unfriendly commentators for what they are: football fans engaging in banter, just like the rest of us.

Lawro is a twunt though. :)

Tony Gale never misses an opportunity to have a pop at Spurs but he amuses me (Durham also when I can be bothered to listen)
Agree about Lawro but that is not because of his tipping but because of his lack of insight as a co-comm on games.

What's a realistic aim for your team this season? Third. Given the transition Chelsea, Man United and Emirates Marketing Project face, and how close to third we have come in recent years, I think the automatic CL spot is a good target.

Where do your team need to strengthen to achieve this? A proven goalscorer.

Which new Premier League players are you looking forward to seeing? Paulinho at Spurs. Higuain not at Arsenal.

Which of your players do you predict having a big season? The spine of Lloris, Vertonghen, Sandro and Bale. Got to go from strength to strength.

Which of your players do you expect to have a disappointing season? None, wouldn't expect any of them to do so. But the time has come to move Tom Huddlestone on I'm afraid.

Which fixtures do you immediately look for? Arsenal home, Arsenal away, opening day opponents, last day opponents. Boxing Day for some reason, though its ages since I've been able to get to that one! Oh, and who we are going to have to rearrange in May due to our FA Cup final appearance!

Which away game are you looking forward to the most/least? Most: Emirates. Even if the last 2 have been 2-5 defeats. Least: Stoke. Thugs from the top down, I am very relieved if we emerge with all players intact let alone 3 points.

What's your most memorable game against Saudi Sportswashing Machine? A cold night's 5-0 home win back in February 2012. At that moment in time Louis Saha was going to shoot us to the title before Harry left for the Euros...

Saudi Sportswashing Machine have been in the papers for all the wrong reasons again, what's your take on the Kinnear debacle? On the surface, bad planning. Ashley seems full of bad ideas. But, despite the lager in the stands, the mismanagement of coaches, the sale of Andy Carroll, tackily renaming your ground... he had you 5th two seasons ago. So maybe a masterstroke. Happy to watch from a distance!

Which Saudi Sportswashing Machine players would you like to see in your side? Sissoko is a beast, rate Krul very highly (as second fiddle to Lloris - wow!) wouldn't say no to a goalscorer like Cissé. But you can keep anyone with a surname like Amoeba

Pardew winds up quite a few opposition managers, what's your take on him? Is he playing mind games? Or is he just an Average/Bad manager with a mouth? Wind up merchant. But still have a certain regard for him taunting Wenger when at West Ham

Where do you expect Saudi Sportswashing Machine to finish this season? I'm afraid to say I think you will struggle. I think that you will find yourselves up against it to hold onto Cissé and Krul in particular if certain clubs come hunting. Villa will be a lot better, Cardiff will have a point to prove in their first season up. Norwich and Southampton are strengthening well and I think will be hard to be at home.

To be fair though this is a bit worst case scenario... and I don't think you will drop. Hull will have learnt from their previous stay in the top flight but you ought to finish above them. Crystal Palace will be the whipping boys. And Sunderland will get an absolute mashing at the start of the season (have you seen their first ten home games???), Di Canio will be gone before Christmas.... and bragging rights will be well and truly yours back in the North East fellas ;)

I don't get bothered by stuff like this any more, but when I was younger Brian Woolnough used to rile me

What's a realistic aim for your team this season? Top half

Where do your team need to strengthen to achieve this? Striker and a replacement for Bale

Which new Premier League players are you looking forward to seeing? Tom Ince, if he joins the Premier league

Which of your players do you predict having a big season? A few players will look to do well in World Cup year

Which of your players do you expect to have a disappointing season? Hard to say what players will still be here come 3rd Sept

Which fixtures do you immediately look for? None

Which away game are you looking forward to the most/least? I least look forward to Goons, Chelsea, Man U, Man C.

What's your most memorable game against Saudi Sportswashing Machine? You beat us 1-0 at your place in the cup a few seasons ago (2005). Memorable to me because it's the only time I've been to SJP and I'm still recovering from all the bloody stairs I had to walk up in the stadium and spending the train journey home sat on the floor of the train

Saudi Sportswashing Machine have been in the papers for all the wrong reasons again, what's your take on the Kinnear debacle? An absolute farce to be honest.

Which Saudi Sportswashing Machine players would you like to see in your side? HBA when he is fit and up for it.

Pardew winds up quite a few opposition managers, what's your take on him? Is he playing mind games? Or is he just an Average/Bad manager with a mouth? I think he is an average manager. I also think he was very lucky to have got away with that shove on the assistant ref last season. If that had been a foreign manager doing that the press would have been up in arms.

Where do you expect Saudi Sportswashing Machine to finish this season? Mid table. 11th.

Re: Geordie in Peace

What's a realistic aim for your team this season? 4th

Where do your team need to strengthen to achieve this? 2 CHs & a striker

Which new Premier League players are you looking forward to seeing? Soldado

Which of your players do you predict having a big season? Paulinho & Soldado

Which of your players do you expect to have a disappointing season? Defoe

Which fixtures do you immediately look for? The newly promoted teams.

Which away game are you looking forward to the most/least? Most - Millwall in the cup. Least - Woolwich

What's your most memorable game against Saudi Sportswashing Machine? First game i ever went to was Saudi Sportswashing Machine at the lane (opening game of 1976-77 i think). We lost.

Saudi Sportswashing Machine have been in the papers for all the wrong reasons again, what's your take on the Kinnear debacle? He is an idiot.

Which Saudi Sportswashing Machine players would you like to see in your side? HBA.

Pardew winds up quite a few opposition managers, what's your take on him? Is he playing mind games? Or is he just an Average/Bad manager with a mouth? No strong opinion really, a steady & decent Prem manager but wont take any team to 'the next level'

Where do you expect Saudi Sportswashing Machine to finish this season? Mid table.

What's a realistic aim for your team this season? Top 4

Where do your team need to strengthen to achieve this? Another striker and CB

Which new Premier League players are you looking forward to seeing? Paulinho, Soldado, Bale

Which of your players do you predict having a big season? Soldado, Sandro, Verts and Bale

Which of your players do you expect to have a disappointing season? Adebayor, Holtby

Which fixtures do you immediately look for? NLD, Spammers, Man U

Which away game are you looking forward to the most/least? Chelsea away

What's your most memorable game against Saudi Sportswashing Machine? 5-0 WHL 2012

Saudi Sportswashing Machine have been in the papers for all the wrong reasons again, what's your take on the Kinnear debacle? Glad it didn't happen to us

Which Saudi Sportswashing Machine players would you like to see in your side? Ben Arfa and Cisse

Pardew winds up quite a few opposition managers, what's your take on him? Is he playing mind games? Or is he just an Average/Bad manager with a mouth? Average manager at best

Where do you expect Saudi Sportswashing Machine to finish this season? Top 10

Interesting to see how the Toon fans are keen for the views of Spurs and Evertonians, I am assuming they see us as their "peers". However, without meaning any disrespect, I would guess the general sentiment isn't returned.

Question is, who are our peers?
For me, on the pitch you look at teams like Liverpool and Arsenal this season as being our genuine competition for top 4. I would suspect that both of those would look down their nose at us, gooners in that they will believe they have a title race this season (fair enough) and Liverpool with that wonderful tradition of thinking that they have a right to success.
Everton should also be with them, but I don't think that they will have a smooth transition from Moyes.

Having said that, in terms of tradition, history but also recent lack of success I would say that we share a lot with a certain cluster of other big clubs that are: Everton, Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Aston Villa.

I have a reverse question. With the loan of Remy and the likely signing of Gomis. The Saudi Sportswashing Machine team is going to be nearly all French. Does this bother you? And what has happened to the formerr conveyor belt of Geordie talent.

Interesting to see how the Toon fans are keen for the views of Spurs and Evertonians, I am assuming they see us as their "peers". However, without meaning any disrespect, I would guess the general sentiment isn't returned.

Question is, who are our peers?
For me, on the pitch you look at teams like Liverpool and Arsenal this season as being our genuine competition for top 4. I would suspect that both of those would look down their nose at us, gooners in that they will believe they have a title race this season (fair enough) and Liverpool with that wonderful tradition of thinking that they have a right to success.
Everton should also be with them, but I don't think that they will have a smooth transition from Moyes.

Having said that, in terms of tradition, history but also recent lack of success I would say that we share a lot with a certain cluster of other big clubs that are: Everton, Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Aston Villa.

I wouldn't read anything into it. I've also asked Man Utd and Emirates Marketing Project fans, Chelsea fans, Norwich fans, Stoke fans etc.

In general Saudi Sportswashing Machine are regarded in that bracket of teams that exist outside the title challenges but are considered a notable club. So, for example, I'd say Saudi Sportswashing Machine's peers are Yourselves, Everton, Villa. Arguments could be( and tediously are) made about what constitues a "big club", but those having those arguments are (more often than not) fans of a big club trying to assert that another club isn't big enough.

End of the day we're none of us eating at the top table, but neither are we akin to the likes of West Brom, or Blackburn, Birmingham or Stoke. Currently Saudi Sportswashing Machine are as likely to finish 16th as we are 8th, under this chairman that is the limit of his ambition. As long as we're in the top flight, he couldn't give a monkeys. However, we'll always have sunderland in our shadow (we had an horrifically disappointing season last time round and yet still finished above the Morlocks down the road), we'll always pull the crowds and all that nonsense.

Back