• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

James McCarthy

I like him, great little player but not good enough for our midfield as a regular. Big step up from someone like Carroll though.

Yes I like this guy too. He has all the weapons but just needs to impose himself on games a bit more. He just needs to believe in his own ability to be a top player.

isnt Baldiman supposed to find cheap South American McCarthys

McCarthy's always been good whenever I've seen him play for Ireland. And the few times I've seen him turn out for Wigan have impressed me too.

I know a lot of people think we're overloaded in midfield already and don't actually need him, but I'd disagree personally. If we're playing 4-3-3 (and that does appear to be how we're setting up this season) then we'll probably need six decent central midfielders, to cover rotation and making sure we're not caught short by injuries. We've got:

- Sandro
- Paulinho
- Dembele
- Huddlestone
- Parker
- Holtby
- Livermore
- Carroll
- Sigurdsson

Of those, the media seem to think we'll be losing Huddlestone and Parker (as a minimum). I can also see us letting Livermore go and maybe farming Carroll out for a season-long loan. Which leaves us with:

- Sandro
- Paulinho
- Dembele
- Holtby
- Sigurdsson

Certainly if Carroll is ready to play a major part in a title challenge, we don't need McCarthy. But if AVB feels Carroll is not quite ready, then a decent squad midfielder with potential sell-on value (McCarthy's only 22) wouldn't be a terrible idea at all.

(And from a personal point of view, I always like it when Spurs have an Irish player or two... silly I know, but it is what it is. Mind you; I'd take Shane Long and Séamus Coleman ahead of McCarthy if I had my way).

If a Spurs bid really has been accepted, expect Dave Whelan to be telling the whole world about it soon

If no news comes out about this during the rest of the day, then I call flimflam.

If a Spurs bid really has been accepted, expect Dave Whelan to be telling the whole world about it soon

If no news comes out about this during the rest of the day, then I call flimflam.

exactly

in fact, surely there must have been some negotiations for this transfer, I really doubt Levy would have gone in with one offer and it was immediately accepted. Whelan would have been all over SSN relaying every step of any negotiation.

What in the hell are we doing(if this true)?

We need Christian fudging Benteke and Ber fudging nard. Stop hoovering up every centre mid going ffs Tottenham. Jesus Christ.

This guy is like 25 right? If we sign this guy instead of bringing through one of our youngsters i will not be a happy chappy.

What in the hell are we doing(if this true)?

We need Christian fudging Benteke and Ber fudging nard. Stop hoovering up every centre mid going ffs Tottenham. Jesus Christ.

I'd like to think our club is large enough to target and negotiate on more than one or two fronts at a time. At least, I certainly hope to hell we don't deal with one transfer at a time. Pretty sure we're working on getting strikers / front-men in as well.

Or should Levy have told everyone to ignore Paulinho until we got a new striker? I suspect we'd be reading about him signing for someone else if he had done.

As I said above; with the likelihood of Huddlestone and Parker leaving, along with the possibility that Livermore and Carroll won't play a major role for us this year, I'm more than happy to bring in a new, young, up-and-coming midfielder to flesh out the squad. Another goalkeeper (to replace Gomes if he goes) and another defender wouldn't go amiss either. And if the chance to bring in someone good for those positions pops up before we've finalised our new strike-force, then I really hope we don't waste any time doing so.

This guy is like 25 right? If we sign this guy instead of bringing through one of our youngsters i will not be a happy chappy.

he is 22 and better than any of the youngsters we currently have, looked very good in a dogsmess team, think he would improve massively in our squad with AVB in chrge

I'd prefer to keep Hudd or Parker (Hudd we can get the money later (next off season), Parker is what like 2m.. it adds up but lets be honest its of little importance compared to a squad body), send Carroll for a full season on loan where he is 'the man' (Wigan) didn't Owen Coyle take Wheelchair for a season. Then as mentioned spend on completing a much needed striker.

Its different though if the player is McManaman.

Improving the squad?

Barely, he'd be 6th choice. Top Cat can fill that role and we don't even have to pay £10m+ for him. What's Mccarthy ever done? Looked like an average player in a team that went down? If I had to take a Wigan player it'd be Shaun Maloney, at least he's capable of something other than running around.

Looked great whenever I've seen him. He has a touch of the Steven Gerrard about him. Great engine and passing range. At 22 seems to be getting better and I was really surprised at some tough games I seem him in like up against Emirates Marketing Project and us he really took midfield by the scruff of the neck.

To go from last summer's season-starting midfielders

Sandro
Dembele
Parker
Thudd
Sigurdsson
Livermore
Carroll

To

Sandro
Dembele
Paulinho
McCarthy
Holtby
Sigurdsson
Carroll

In a year is a huge amount of progress. Would represent the strongest midfield squad of anyone outside Chelsea and City IMO

Back