• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pre Season 2013

OK, but the markets you mention aren't really that lucrative.
Africa has no money. USA already have 3 sports they will spend money on ahead of saaacecer. Not sure where you me exactly with East Asia though. Out of interest, how well do you think Spurs would go down in the Middle East?

I don't like the push to market abroad but if it is a case of keeping up with the Joneses so be it. 92 professional clubs in England, and they manage to spread the love... plenty of room for us in SE Asia I reckon.

The interest in Football (soccer) in the US has been steadily growing over the last decade. The fact that NBC & ESPN now carry it and advertise it (Time Square w/Bale) shows they are putting their money behind it. Add in we now have two US based sponsors (UA & HP), two US players (Brad and Deuce), I actually think it's a very well thought out strategy.

Was it 3 years or so ago that Spurs wanted to come to Indonesia but the Indonesian FA said all teams were busy with the league. A rebuff if ever I heard it, coz manyoo were supposed to come then the terrorist bombing happened at the hotel they were going to stay at. Instead they played Malaysia twice.

Well I'm coming to the UK, wanna catch a preseason. Maybe Monaco on 3rd August, I'll be around there at that time. Anyone going ?

I think it is a poor marketing strategy by Levy. We used to go to SEA frequently before Levy became chairmain : Singapore 1995, Thailand 1991 and Malaysia/Indonesia 1979. Football has always been No.1 sports in SEA and English football has a large following. Almost all the PL matches are being telecast live in SEA over cable TVs. There are many VIPs here who are Spurs fans, including the former Malaysian King. Spurs used to be very popular here in the 1980s and early 1990s but not so much now. We can easily win back the fan base by just coming here. I am sure everyone would love to see a world class player like Bale. Anyway, would prefer us to go to places where we can increase our fan base instead of playing meaningless friendlies against teams like Swindon and Colchester.

The Swindon and Colchester games are more about fitness and squad rotation than anything else, with the Swindon game perhaps forming part of a wider link-up with the club. For mainly marketing purposes, the US, Sub-saharan Africa and East Asia seem to be the club's preferred targets. And I don't think it's that bad as a marketing strategy: the US has a growing number of fans (rapidly growing, actually) with relatively large disposable incomes (being predominantly middle class). Tapping into this would give us significant revenues if we can leverage it right. Sub-saharan Africa and East Asia seemngly have more to do with numbers than anything else, but expanding into these markets early can give us a competitive advantage long term.

South East Asia has too many teams visiting it regularly to be a fertile ground for us, imo.

Anyone else notice that Dembele is missing? No pictures of him in the pre-season and he didn't feature in that game....

Where did this Brentford match came from ? This match was not listed on any schedule anywhere. Thought we are only playing Swindon tomorrow.

Where did this Brentford match came from ? This match was not listed on any schedule anywhere. Thought we are only playing Swindon tomorrow.

It's exactly the same thing that happened last season. We played a friendly against Brentford behind closed doors.

It's exactly the same thing that happened last season. We played a friendly against Brentford behind closed doors.

Do we have some kind of special relationship with Brentford that we have to play them behind closed doors every time ? Don't know why we have to play behind closed doors when we can't stop any news from leaking out nowadays.

The Barclays Asia Trophy

Goalkeepers
Hugo Lloris, Brad Friedel, Heurelho Gomes.
Defenders
Kyle Walker, Kyle Naughton, Benoit Assou-Ekotto, Jan Vertonghen, Michael Dawson, Steven Caulker, Younes Kaboul, Daniel Rose.
Midfielders
Aaron Lennon, Andros Townsend, Gareth Bale, Tom Huddlestone, Mousa Dembele, Sandro Cordeiro, Scott Parker, Jake Livermore, Tom Carroll, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Lewis Holtby.
Forwards
Clint Dempsey, Jermain Defoe, Emmanuel Adebayor.

Was surprised Gomes is fit, thought he had an injury he'd carry into the new season.
Makes it perhaps possible to sell him then?

The Barclays Asia Trophy

Goalkeepers
Hugo Lloris, Brad Friedel, Heurelho Gomes.
Defenders
Kyle Walker, Kyle Naughton, Benoit Assou-Ekotto, Jan Vertonghen, Michael Dawson, Steven Caulker, Younes Kaboul, Daniel Rose.
Midfielders
Aaron Lennon, Andros Townsend, Gareth Bale, Tom Huddlestone, Mousa Dembele, Sandro Cordeiro, Scott Parker, Jake Livermore, Tom Carroll, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Lewis Holtby.
Forwards
Clint Dempsey, Jermain Defoe, Emmanuel Adebayor.

Was surprised Gomes is fit, thought he had an injury he'd carry into the new season.
Makes it perhaps possible to sell him then?

We need 3 keepers.

Paulinho has been with the brazilian national team the whole summer,
will join the squad after the asia tour.

We need 3 keepers.

Dunno, I'm comfortable with an U21 international as third choice keeper.
If we get an injury (or two) we're always allowed to loan in an emergency goalie.

Do we have some kind of special relationship with Brentford that we have to play them behind closed doors every time ? Don't know why we have to play behind closed doors when we can't stop any news from leaking out nowadays.

It's probably just that it's so early in the pre-season and more of a slightly upgraded training session playing some football against someone from outside our squad. A step up from an internal match between yellow and white training tops, but not actually something we take seriously enough to make it a proper friendly.

The club obviously isn't trying to stop news from leaking out about the game.

Back