• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Edward Snowden - amazing interview

I'm really shocked/disappointed/ashamed of the lack of attention this story is getting.

This is a massive, massive abuse of powers by the US Govt, the so-called protectors of personal freedoms. Nixon was forced out of office for less. This issue makes the Citizens United Supreme Court decision seem irrelevant. As someone who lives in the US, I feel utterly betrayed and disgusted by the actions of this Government (Obama). Honestly, I don't what the final straw is, but I cannot believe that there aren't demonstrations and protests across the country over this complete abuse of the Constitution. I don't expect to keep living in the country for too many more years if there isn't a systematic change in the scope of the Government's powers.

For what it is worth, if Edward Snowden does not release any info that puts US lives in harm, then he is a "Hero".

I'm really shocked/disappointed/ashamed of the lack of attention this story is getting.

This is a massive, massive abuse of powers by the US Govt, the so-called protectors of personal freedoms. Nixon was forced out of office for less. This issue makes the Citizens United Supreme Court decision seem irrelevant. As someone who lives in the US, I feel utterly betrayed and disgusted by the actions of this Government (Obama). Honestly, I don't what the final straw is, but I cannot believe that there aren't demonstrations and protests across the country over this complete abuse of the Constitution. I don't expect to keep living in the country for too many more years if there isn't a systematic change in the scope of the Government's powers.

For what it is worth, if Edward Snowden does not release any info that puts US lives in harm, then he is a "Hero".

Exactly, the whole movement to degrade and rescind basic privacy and fundamental laws of freedom is one which gives me most fear for my family, it is our children who will really pay if we don't stand together and say 'enough'.

The reason for the lack of demonstration is due to the elegance of the plan, it is a slow march, if they degrade freedom one small slice at a time people don't notice (or allow themselves to not focus on the real implications), if we went from 9-11 to now in an instant everyone worldwide would be saying 'whoa now, let's back this up and plan a different route forward'. But it seems we may well be seeing some seriously dark times ahead if we continue to allow the governments/agencies/corporations to wreak this age old divide and conquer technique as clearly there are a set of psychopaths who make the real decisions and have set the markers to 'go out and fudge stuff up boys, but make sure you adhere to our remit, the spoils are then yours'.

The real kicker for me now is that there is a chemical spoiling of the earths ability to produce nutrient rich food, some fudged up times we're in/headed into.

All Governments do it, and have been doing for years in one form or another. If they didn't we'd all be up in arms about how many terrorist attacks they weren't able to prevent before they happened.

The outrage that some people feel about this entire situation is more down to their gullibility than anything else. Do people not genuinely believe that Facebook doesn't track your every movement for their own nefarious purposes also? Information is big business.

All Governments do it, and have been doing for years in one form or another. If they didn't we'd all be up in arms about how many terrorist attacks they weren't able to prevent before they happened.

The outrage that some people feel about this entire situation is more down to their gullibility than anything else. Do people not genuinely believe that Facebook doesn't track your every movement for their own nefarious purposes also? Information is big business.

Hook, Line & Sinker.

The difference is that a) we can all leave facebook if we need to and b) facebook doesn't have the subsequent power of a government.

And the outrage has nothing to do with gullibility. It has to do with the self proclaimed 'land of the free' allowing itself to spy on its citizens without any real oversight or regard for their privacy. And lied about it about a week before it came out.

Hook, Line & Sinker.

Not sure what your point is. Mine is that they just can't win. Sure the ideal situation is that they didn't snoop on us without just cause, but the realism of the situation is that a lot, probably the majority if I listen to my Police friends, of criminals are identified (and in some cases caught) from less than publically acceptable methods.

Email has been intercepted for years if it contained certain keywords, and phones were routinely tapped for "training" exercises in the UK in the 70's & 80's (and I presume even now). That I know for a fact. Not just for criminal activity either. Let's just say that people who enjoyed to talk on the phone about "personal" things like what they were going to do to each other when they next saw each other were often picked for "training" exercises!!

The difference is that a) we can all leave facebook if we need to and b) facebook doesn't have the subsequent power of a government.

And the outrage has nothing to do with gullibility. It has to do with the self proclaimed 'land of the free' allowing itself to spy on its citizens without any real oversight or regard for their privacy. And lied about it about a week before it came out.

And anyone who believes that is gullible too. Everyone outside of the States knows that there is no such thing as the land of the free, and I'd dare say most intelligent Yanks know it too.

And anyone who believes that is gullible too. Everyone outside of the States knows that there is no such thing as the land of the free, and I'd dare say most intelligent Yanks know it too.

Yeah well there's a brick load of gullible people in this world :lol:

Back to Ed, Quote from second link - "Palantir" refers to the crystal ball-like seeing stones in JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, which the demonic dark lord Sauron uses to communicate with and mesmerize those who gaze into the ball.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/technology/2013/06/palantir-prism-nsa/66013/

Ed mentions Prism. Makes more sense now.

Palantir's CEO goes to Bilderberger (No. 66)- http://fellowshipofminds.wordpress.com/2013/06/07/secretive-bilderberg-global-elite-meet-in-england/

What a shock.

Whether people 'knew' this was happening or not, the fact is, covert surveillance by governments will always be shocking when it reaches the public eye via a whistleblower and frankly, it should be!

I'm not gullible when it comes to the internet, and frankly I'm aware that any agency can likely find out whatever they want about me. But regardless of how 'smart' someone is in knowing that governments are not squeaky clean, it still has to be said that it's a disgrace to see it confirmed.

This is the part I have a problem with. Snowden isn't some all-knowing entity, there's no reason to believe his actions haven't put military operations/personnel at risk. He said in the interview that he only released information that wouldn't put lives at risk, I argue that there's no way he can be sure of that claim.

I see he's now fled to Russia and is hoping to get to Venezuela eventually, wonder if the US will be able to take him in before he gets there. To get to Cuba they have to fly over US airspace I believe, would be a bold move in this day and age to force a plan to land.

Uprisings the world over. If this happened in any other country, but it didn't. I've heard some Americans refer to him as traitor / Russian spy. I guess comfort will keep you on the sofa and not out in the streets protesting.

Fact is when it's all said and done and blown over in a few weeks he will be near enough forgotten spending his life either in exile or prison away from his buff gf. Wonder what he will think then. Ironic he chooses Ecuador which has one of the worst records around press freedom of any country going.

To me it feels a bit of a non story - was anyone really shocked that peoples data was being collated without them knowing.

Fact is when it's all said and done and blown over in a few weeks he will be near enough forgotten spending his life either in exile or prison away from his buff gf. Wonder what he will think then. Ironic he chooses Ecuador which has one of the worst records around press freedom of any country going.

To me it feels a bit of a non story - was anyone really shocked that peoples data was being collated without them knowing.

No its been going on for decades, and only those with their heads in the sand would deny it.

Back