• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

John Lydon

Finally lost his mind? Outright rude prick? Or just a bored old bad-publicity fluffy bunnies cuddling?

http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/news...n-tells-Red-Symons-to-shut-your-fudging-mouth

http://youtu.be/N4ZmopI-GUQ

I found the comment towards the end of the second video amusing, "he was just a flat out, sexist, misogynist pig". Does it mean he'll be adopted as patron saint of Australia or offered citizenship? ;)

They were essentially a boy band. And now he's a butter salesman. Nothing to see here, move along!
Sounds ridiculous on first reading but you're probably quite right, Malcolm McClaren would probably agree with you if he were still alive. Cash from chaos can be manufactured just as easily as bubblegum pop I guess. :)

I wonder how well The Great Rock n Roll Swindle would stand up to the passage of time if I were to watch it now.

Saw PIL last year and got to say that Lydon's voice is better now than it was back in the 70s & 80s. Wouldn't want to have a beer with the guy though.

As were Nirvana. All manufactured to target the disenfranchised neglected youth market.

Rubbish.
Sorry, it is. And trust me, I would know...not being arrogant there either, I spent a fair amount of time with them. Whilst many tried to turn them into that, their ethos, their music and their drive was 180 degrees from that. In fact, if Cobain could've only accepted that he was a great musician and not felt the burden of guilt which success seemed to bring him, he'd have made it...

Rubbish.
Sorry, it is. And trust me, I would know...not being arrogant there either, I spent a fair amount of time with them. Whilst many tried to turn them into that, their ethos, their music and their drive was 180 degrees from that. In fact, if Cobain could've only accepted that he was a great musician and not felt the burden of guilt which success seemed to bring him, he'd have made it...

Please elaborate

I know your background Stef so believe what you say but with the benefi of hindsight you have to admit that when they signed for Geffen, their sound got skewed to a specific market. I've heard comments from Butch Vig to the effect he was making a pop record with added distortion. Nevermind was no accident.

You may say that for Kurt, Dave etc it was all about the music man but that's by the by. Even nick Carter thought he was a serious musician.

I know your background Stef so believe what you say but with the benefi of hindsight you have to admit that when they signed for Geffen, their sound got skewed to a specific market. I've heard comments from Butch Vig to the effect he was making a pop record with added distortion. Nevermind was no accident.

You may say that for Kurt, Dave etc it was all about the music man but that's by the by. Even nick Carter thought he was a serious musician.

It's a long and very interesting conversation mate, and one which (frankly) haunted Kurt to his untimely death! By now we've all heard the demos, and there isn't an enormous difference between those and the final mixes. I'm not sure the market existed before they blew it open TBH; I know that Geffen weren't interested in having Endino produce, and I suppose Butch Vig was a somewhat tactical choice, but let's also add that Andy Wallace mixed it, and for me, he will always be the Andy Wallace who produced and mixed "Reign In Blood" by Slayer!!!!!

But there is no denying that the rumour existed and stained the shirt slightly. Again, it was why 'In Utero' ended up being produced by Albini. By then, Cobain felt so guilty about the band's 'success' (and worried so much about them being viewed as sell-outs) that he wanted to make it clear he was none of those by doing a 180. 'Tis one of those discussions which could go on for ages...I will leave you with this anecdote. In November 93 I was on the road with them, and we did our 'main interview' post show in Atlanta. It was long and decent. He was always decent really, if not painfully shy. I asked him, as he left my room (this was at around 2.30am) if he could finally accept that "Nevermind" was an amazing album, if he had grown comfortable enough with it. He simply said no, it still made him feel uncomfortable and he still felt it was over-produced...apologies if my initial response was a bit snippy BTW, but you must've hit a soft-spot/interesting spot so-to-speak...a pub chat if ever I saw one. Be well...

Back