• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Playstation 4.

Woah hold your horses their fella. Microsoft's haven't officially unveiled their machine yet and you have the Steam Box too!

The steam box is the one that interests me the most.... Reading about how you can upgrade parts of it as time passes sounds good.

All pretty damn nifty but I really don't care for the social stuff or the fact it seems some of the PSN will be heavily cloud based.

Seems they are saving the actual console unveil for E3 to steal some of Microsoft's thunder when they announce "Durango"

Bungie!!

WITH DESTINY!! Damnnn

Trouble is, most of Bungie responsible for Halo left and formed the company that made Halo 4. Not much to get excited about here for me, all this social network gonad*s. Rather play games socially when my mates sat next to me which is becoming a rare offering amongst modern games.

Hope Xbox comes up with something more exciting , if not its looking like it might be the steam box for me

The Steam Box could be great, it'll be interesting to see what they come up with. As with the PS4, and the Xbox 720 (or whatever they go with), there's not enough info yet to get interested. All a bit annoying really.

I hate this current obsession with people wanting to broadcast their lives, and tell people what they are listening to, or playing, or what they like or don't like. Who gives a fudge? Do these saddos really think anyone cares what they are doing at any particular time? I haven't played PS for ages, so certainly wouldn't be rushing to buy a machine that mainly seems to be geared up to the 'Facebook' crowd.

The Steam Box could be great, it'll be interesting to see what they come up with. As with the PS4, and the Xbox 720 (or whatever they go with), there's not enough info yet to get interested. All a bit annoying really.

I'm not so sure about the Steam Box.

When asked about multimedia (eg LoveFilm etc) their spokesman said "Sure, just fire up a browser like you would on a computer". This leads to two very obvious problems:
1: LoveFilm and all the others need to make their websites controller-compatible rather than coding apps for Xbox or PS3
2: Plugins will be required. Currently consoles are successful partly due to their ease of use - unless you get a screwdriver or a hammer out, you're unlikely to ever break an Xbox. If you let people install stuff like browser plugins/codecs (which would be required if you want to use it for LoveFilm, Sky Player) then you let people break stuff. People are fvcking idiots, which is why PCs aren't taking off in the living room properly yet.

Consoles need to be simple, and to some extent they need to be uniform - this looks to me far more like a small PC for gaming. In order to gain an advantage playing Battlefield, you can get a more powerful PC to increase the visuals - doing so almost certainly means a bigger Steam Box. You can also use a mouse/keyboard which is far more accurate than a controller - all of a sudden you don't have a console, you've just got yet another PC in your house.

I hate this current obsession with people wanting to broadcast their lives, and tell people what they are listening to, or playing, or what they like or don't like. Who gives a fudge? Do these saddos really think anyone cares what they are doing at any particular time? I haven't played PS for ages, so certainly wouldn't be rushing to buy a machine that mainly seems to be geared up to the 'Facebook' crowd.

Cool, I'm sure Sony will miss your money.

My old PS3 laser has just died so need to get something new, may as well hang on till the new consoles are out.

Have to say all this stuff looks pretty good, talk of subscriptions to play unlimited games etc sounds exactly what I'd want. Will most likely buy it. Can see a good Spotify type service (or even Spotify) on it as well. Sony are still one of the worlds biggest record labels don't forget.

Games all look top notch as well, decent graphics and can imagine some interesting ideas being implemented once developers work out ways to use social elements in games and that online stream thing Sony have bought.

If its the drive, can you not just purchase and replace it. Should be plenty of sites and instructions online, then in the summer sell it, or feel good and take it down the charity shop.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+PlayStation+3+Blu-ray+Disc+Drive/3484/1

Plenty of parts on ebay

This may sound patronising but have you cleaned the lens. Niece's laptop drive hadn't worked for a year, I cleaned it and it reads everything now.

Last edited:
love the social aspect of it. gonna be a blast being able to stream/watch games with mates. excellent stuff

Was tempted to get a 2nd hand PS3 to play sone great games Ive missed such as Uncharted 3. But so long as PS4 is backward compatible i may aswel wait (altho hearing rumours it wont be)... Can plug it straight into my PC monitor, ultimate geek station lol

They've pretty much said it won't be backwards compatible

tossers... In that case i wont bother gettin it on release then. Too many decent PS3 titles coming out plus a consoles 1st yr is generally crap for games bar the odd 1 or 2 stand out exclusives

If its the drive, can you not just purchase and replace it. Should be plenty of sites and instructions online, then in the summer sell it, or feel good and take it down the charity shop.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+PlayStation+3+Blu-ray+Disc+Drive/3484/1

Plenty of parts on ebay

This may sound patronising but have you cleaned the lens. Niece's laptop drive hadn't worked for a year, I cleaned it and it reads everything now.

No never cleaned the lens, should give it a go first really as I've had it for a good few years.

Back