• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Barton v Martin Samuel

fudging weird article. Sounds like the ramblings of some strange blog, a national journalist should have some kind of standards, even if they are a fat prick

I'm shocked the actual jibe at Barton has got past most of you.
Samuel is playing on Barton's fake public persona.
Barton will do anything to appear to an 'intellectual' retweeting quotes and lyrics like a 15 year old.
Barton has tried to rebrand himself for whatever reason, maybe he just wants to be liked.

Barton adopting next a gay persona like a teenage girl that decides it would be cool be gay for a week is a play on this. Also it is nicely linked into the gaping lack of gay footballers. And most fabulously of all it would actually be the last thing he would do, because we all know the thug behind the mask would actually recoil at the idea of homosexuality.

It's a tenuous and stupid jibe though mate, and frankly, even if Samuel tried to cover it as 'satire' I'd suggest he's on thin ice because there's no satirization going on here more than a clear declaration, however sarcastic or not, that barton should come out as 'gay'...the worst bit is that with this sort of macaronic stereotype from Samuel, once again the whole concept of a gay footballer coming out gets a kick in the jubblies. I hope Barton takes him to the cleaners...a shame really, because only recently, Samuel did a piece on comedian Jerry Sadowitz (a ledge)...

It's a tenuous and stupid jibe though mate, and frankly, even if Samuel tried to cover it as 'satire' I'd suggest he's on thin ice because there's no satirization going on here more than a clear declaration, however sarcastic or not, that barton should come out as 'gay'...the worst bit is that with this sort of macaronic stereotype from Samuel, once again the whole concept of a gay footballer coming out gets a kick in the jubblies. I hope Barton takes him to the cleaners...a shame really, because only recently, Samuel did a piece on comedian Jerry Sadowitz (a ledge)...

Barton can only sue him if he's offended by someone suggested he turn gay for a while?
If barton is offended by that he's homophobic like I suspect.

I see this as no different than suggesting Barton should convert to Islam for cred or he should start listening to jazz this week.
There's nothing to be offended about here.

I'm shocked the actual jibe at Barton has got past most of you.
Samuel is playing on Barton's fake public persona.
Barton will do anything to appear to an 'intellectual' retweeting quotes and lyrics like a 15 year old.
Barton has tried to rebrand himself for whatever reason, maybe he just wants to be liked.

Barton adopting next a gay persona like a teenage girl that decides it would be cool be gay for a week is a play on this. Also it is nicely linked into the gaping lack of gay footballers. And most fabulously of all it would actually be the last thing he would do, because we all know the thug behind the mask would actually recoil at the idea of homosexuality.

Only if you think it is a fake personality.

I don't know him, Joey says Samuel doesn't know him, and I doubt you do.. so who are we to decide if it's fake. We only see him on the pitch and twitter.

Barton can only sue him if he's offended by someone suggested he turn gay for a while?

I see this as no different than suggesting Barton should convert to Islam for cred or he should start listening to jazz this week.

He is married with a child. It's the same argument as 'you're homophobic if you consider being gay a bad thing', it isn't that.. he just isn't gay and some journalist is associating him with a very strange article in the national press.

Maybe Joey should be black or disabled to get some cred. For cred, read 'sympathy'. That is what Samuel is really hinting at. Like it would suddenly make everyone change their opinion because he's gay... or black, or disabled.. and the struggle that must be, no wonder he acts out. It isn't Barton who is homophobic, it's the readers. They are the ones with the preconceived ideas. Martin Samuel doesn't even know Joey Barton, Barton says they have never met.... so why even write this piece of crap?

Martin Samuel: "Could just one footballer please come out and be gay?"

His name was Justin Fashanu, and he killed himself, you macaron.

Considering some of the things he's done, Barton seems to be quite an intelligent well written bloke on twitter.
I like the cut of his jib!

is that article homophobic though?
Not really, just damning considering that Samuel has no indication of what his sexual preferences are. Even if he did, he should keep it to himself.

Could it could be construed as deformation of character? That isn't a slight on gay people, just that discussing sexuality in the national press without their commission is OTT.

Martin Samuel: "Could just one footballer please come out and be gay?"

His name was Justin Fashanu, and he killed himself, you macaron.

Indeed.

And I remember the chants aimed at his brother John...

"Score with your Brother,

You couldn't score with your Brother..."

fudge me - that is the worst excuse for 'journalism' that I've seen in months.

Seemingly asking for a more open and understanding society while everything between the lines says the diametrically opposite. And sticking it to the unaware randomly chosen celebrity at the same time. Disgusting piece.

Absolutely nothing to do with being offended or not.
It is poorly written on Samuel's part, thus leaves open an inaccurate portrayal. Again, if you really wanted to see the worst end of this, it will be in same old issues being gay in football has always sadly carried (i.e. a stigma)...

What's with the desperation to prove footballers are gay?? Who cares?? I don't see any other job trying desperately to prove their employees are gay. If a player wants to come out, he will - full stop.

As for the article - well it's The Mail (ooooh you work for a paper called The Male - oh you is soooo gayyyy)

Barton's French accent? I was a little disappointed when I finally saw the interview. I don't think he was trying to be clever or taking the tinkle, it really wasn't Allo Allo was it? I've seen lots of people change the way the speak in another country, it's an attempt to make yourself clearer (or how you think you are clearer) and I don't mean speaking louder in your usual accent :D

A really silly article with no point IMO.

An ill conceived article to say the least.

That aside Barton is an odious **** and every piece of flimflam he posts to his twitter account is self serving PR designed to paint himself as some misunderstood maverick. Bollox. Whether he is gay or not will not change the individual that he is. Even that French accent nonsense I thought was very disrespectful to the country in which he now earns a living.

Considering some of the things he's done, Barton seems to be quite an intelligent well written bloke on twitter.
I like the cut of his jib!

So I wasnt the only one.

I quite like Barton. Yeah he isnt the most well behaved and he does have certain issues but overall I think he is an ok guy (as far as I can see)

The general vibe of the article seems to be "Can't we just get this boring "anti-gay" thing out of the way? Anyone want to volunteer? How about Barton, he seems to be a bit of a character."

I don't know whether you can describe the article as "homophobic". But it doesn't seem to be helpful to Barton, homosexual footballers or the gay community in general. How on earth can you try to support a groups desire to be accepted as part of "normal" society, by being led by one of the game'a outcasts?

Sexuality is a sensitive issue, and love him or hate him, the only person who has the right to talk about Joey Barton's sexuality in public is Joey Barton. That alone is the reason why he has every right to sue Samuel.

Samuel picked the wrong person to tangle with here, he is on a hiding to nothing, Barton's mouth knows no limit and for once he is very much going to be fighting from the moral high ground.

Back