• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official Benoit Thread

Another person who can't see class if its put right in front of their fudging face! Christ almighty! I'm all for opinions but BAE is the epitome of average it hurts!!

Roy check out the BAE vs Everton video

This is what I see week in, week out with Benoit

An absolute beast that dominates an entire side of the pitch

[video=youtube;mujFzJlL26w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mujFzJlL26w[/video]

Tottenham boss Andre Villas-Boas says both Scott Parker and Benoit Assou-Ekotto, who have been out with long-term injuries, could return for next weekend's Premier League game against Swansea.

Hopefully Kaboul isn't too far behind either. Excited about Benny being back in the team soon, pushing Verts back into the middle with Caulker.

We miss Ekotto's accurate passing from the back. He is seriously underrated as a passer and I believe is one of the best at the club. Can't wait to have him back.

We miss Ekotto's accurate passing from the back. He is seriously underrated as a passer and I believe is one of the best at the club. Can't wait to have him back.

Since Benny has been gone several sides have targeted our left flank - The Goons, Emirates Marketing Project and yesterday Everton. Emirates Marketing Project's winner came from there, at least two Goon goals did and BOTH Everton goals yesterday did. The sooner Benny is back the better

Yup, perhaps the Benny haters here, and there are some, will start to appreciate him that much more now. At the start of the season I said that Vertonghen would go on to replace Benny as the cult hero of the club and whilst I maintain that this is likely to be true in the longer term, he is definitely not a left back. I've been frustrated by the number of times that he has been exposed and whilst it isn't all his fault, Bale leaves him to fend by himself too often, he cannot play the role of a left back effectively and will be a greater success in the centre back role.

I think those that might be against Vertonghen should appreciate that it is his first season in the Premiership, that he is being played out of position and yes, I know that he plays that role for Belgium but it's not his natural position, and that his touch, his awareness are sufficient for me to know that long term he will be a great success for us.

Imagine, if you will, a defence featuring Assou-Ekotto, Kaboul, Vertonghen and Walker... a LOT stronger and organised than it is at the moment and with Lloris behind them I think that we will start keeping clean sheets as soon as Benny and Kaboul return.

Yup, perhaps the Benny haters here, and there are some, will start to appreciate him that much more now. At the start of the season I said that Vertonghen would go on to replace Benny as the cult hero of the club and whilst I maintain that this is likely to be true in the longer term, he is definitely not a left back. I've been frustrated by the number of times that he has been exposed and whilst it isn't all his fault, Bale leaves him to fend by himself too often, he cannot play the role of a left back effectively and will be a greater success in the centre back role.

I think those that might be against Vertonghen should appreciate that it is his first season in the Premiership, that he is being played out of position and yes, I know that he plays that role for Belgium but it's not his natural position, and that his touch, his awareness are sufficient for me to know that long term he will be a great success for us.

Imagine, if you will, a defence featuring Assou-Ekotto, Kaboul, Vertonghen and Walker... a LOT stronger and organised than it is at the moment and with Lloris behind them I think that we will start keeping clean sheets as soon as Benny and Kaboul return.

This is a good post. Vertoghen has been pretty awful covering at left back IMHO. He gets skinned pretty much every time and doesn't have the raw pace to get himself out of trouble when his positioning is off (which it is frequently). He thrives when the play is in front of him and that's why he looks so composed as CB.

Unless we haul Rose back from loan (which I think is a bad idea) I believe left back is a position we need to get cover for. The 25 man squad is basically 2 senior players per position plus a few spares. Benny back plus another please.

I would get cover for Benny and for Lennon. We need to be able to rotate, and to give Lennon some competition. Boy do we need Kaboul and Benny back - let's hope Kaboul doesn't miss the whole season...

The passing in that clip was of the highest quality-when the game is played at a standard pace then our guys seek BAE when they want to get rid of the ball.
My criticism of BAE would be that when it starts getting frantic-so does he and balls start going up in the air and all over the place.

BAE is great going forward helping our attacks but not very convincing when defending. But his return will atleast mean Vertonghen going back to his natural position in CB. If Kaboul can return now, then we can have our best CB pairing of Kaboul-Vertonghen.

BAE is great going forward helping our attacks but not very convincing when defending.

Pretty much this in a nutshell

However - seeing that some players have undergone great improvement in previously weak areas (Defoe, etc.) - perhaps AVB can help him improve his concentration levels and overall awarness

Last edited:
We definitely need him back ASAP. Jan`s looked steadily more ragged as the season`s worn on. Being roasted by Coleman on Sunday was a low point. He`s a ball-playing centre-back, at his very best when nonchalantly recycling possession and being the `deep`centre-back. When out wide, his lack of pace will be exposed. He`s quite fast for a defender, but he`s not as fast as modern PL wingers tend to be. Additionally, fatigue has worn him down.

Benny`s surprisingly fast, and he`s masterful at retaining the possession we seem to lose so easily at the moment. That`s worth any amount of defensive solidity, at least in our current predicament. We really need him back.

Parker played in the U21/reserve game yesterday, but Ekotto didn't. AVB did say that he was likely to be available for the game against Swansea, but I would have expected him to be involved yesterday if that was the case.

I think we really need him against Swansea, but at the same time I don't want him rushed back. Hopefully he'll be ready, he has been in pics from training in the last weeks so he can't be far off being ready.

Back