• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Quickest way to lose weight?

Just having a brief peruse in my lunch hour.

So, from that article, which you are in full support of, and suggest I read;

"Good Fats

Unsaturated fats are called good fats because they can improve blood cholesterol levels, ease inflammation"

Oh dear...

No one has said there are not good fats, its your interpretation of this information as a cure for things that is disagreed with. Its well known there are health benefits from sensible diets and that some fats are healthier than others, especially to do with cholesterol levels.

But I see you can't just help jumping at the first phrase supporting your theories and ignoring all the bits that don't. Note I said you would like some parts of the articles.

And I also see you are back to quoting random abstracts. You focus too much on details which are often contradictory (from different sources) and out of context. You'd do better to try and understand how the overall systems work first.

Last edited:
No one has said there are not good fats, its your interpretation of this information as a cure for things that is disagreed with. Its well known there are health benefits from sensible diets and that some fats are healthier than others, especially to do with cholesterol levels.

But I see you can't just help jumping at the first phrase supporting your theories and ignoring all the bits that don't. Note I said you would like some parts of the articles.

And I also see you are back to quoting random abstracts. You focus too much on details which are often contradictory (from different sources) and out of context. You'd do better to try and understand how the overall systems work first.

This started (the omega3 discussion) as I said to jurgen that omega3 is really helpful with psoriasis, not that it cures it (in and of itself), if I did say that then I was wrong (but my suggestion was that it can help 'cure' the flare up(s), by removing the excessive strength of the immune response via attaching more N3 to phospholipids, whether that exact reason is wrong, or a particular study I post is looking at N3 differently does not matter when the over riding factors at play are = does this information suggest/prove you are less prone to inflammatory illness with more N3 = YES or NO. That was the debate.

Like this link - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16847262

Pretty difficult to wriggle out of that I’m afraid to say, but it is a drip-drip-drip gathering of semi-relational data because your science is holding money away from the studies it says are needed, which makes the digging more difficult.

I think the cure itself (or best way to keep it dormant if that sits better), without risk of disruption of other vital processes, most often lies in better digestive and overall health (but there are way to many variables of course making this overly simplistic), as demonstrated with the Crohn’s article which highlighted a Doctor with a 90% cure rate using intelligent digestive assistance, you had not a word to say on it.

So, please refrain from talking down to me acting like you are clear to direct things, this is a forum, not a surgery.

I come across as a dingdong when in debates often on here admittedly, largely because I am invariably under attack, it is not a mode I am comfortable in really but will happily suffer it and make board enemies if needs be, as I want to know the truth of things. Sorry everyone for that, even Scara!

You have destroyed my Nitrogen premise though (for now), happily conceded, but, that still doesn't make epsom salts baths 'mystical', or shall I post the number of approved medical treatments which use Magnesum Sulphate?

This is how we grow is it not? I hope we do anyway.

Sorry Wookie, hope that has enough IMO style for you.

I don’t have a huge list of supplements, but have run through a plethora of them and most are largely useless IMO, just avoidance of the change that is necessary from my experience.

I take some core ones, which I like talking about, because even if folks get prickly, some will hopefully have a little further read up for themselves and see for themselves if in fact there is anything in it (N3, Magnesium etc), like High Quality Kelp for Iodine, if you can prove it’s inefficiency I will be most happy to stop taking it as it tastes like brick!

I am 40, ate absolute crap through my teens and early 20’s, then went to India and got Giardia (in the first week of a 9month trip whilst I was still culture shocked, it was rough!). So I went to the chemist and they gave me some drugs (don’t know the name), you were only supposed to take them on a full stomach, due to their rather harsh effects on the stomach, nobody directed me of this (I’m not blaming the drugs here for a change! Just circumstance and a brick chemist), this largely destroyed my digestive function IMO. When I got back I could only stomach carrots and milk for quite a while, started to develop strong symptoms of Crohn’s (was doubled over a lot like I had knitting needles in my stomach), but the Doctor only wanted to give me anti-depressants (and I have not really been back since in 15years or so, save to get a sick note perhaps). We have a family history of weak colon function, so I have worked (am working) hard on being savvy to get myself in the shape that I enjoy the next 40 years with an absolute minimal amount of illness which may be avoided.

People in my kind of situation need to be able to change focus IMO, or try at least, to realise that foods take minutes to eat, you live with their actions all day everyday, it’s completely back to front to eat for pleasure first and end up living in dis-ease because of it. But I am still a slave to it’s bondage to, just to a lesser degree than most due to my circumstance.

Last edited:
Simples what?!

That abstract is relating to the changed HDL composition from psoriasis sufferers causing inflammation! Seriously, I am actually starting to think that a lot of the wisdom you are keen to impart is very dangerous as you often state it as fact.

It isn't good enough that you are happy to then go back and do background reading that someone knowledgeable like JTS is willing to point in your direction, you shouldn't be giving what come across as verbose and authoratative opinions on things without having a better foundation.

I think that /or in my personal opinion should be tagged onto a lot of your posts mate, I honestly think.

Wookie, think you might be lost in cross thread confusion here.

Verbose I certainly am though, I liked that bit!

Last edited:
Is it true that Olive Oil reduces your risk of heart disease

Isn't it 100% fat

Not unless you get it from the NHS. If from Supermarkets it only 'might help assist', I'm learning right?

In seriousness though, uncooked yes (in reasonable moderation), cooked I'm not so sure on - as long as it doesn't burn may be OK (don't think many oils get beyond 'OK' once fried though).

Southstand I thought you would be an extra 'virgin man' given most of your posts :)

OK, so what are you saying about inflammation and unsaturated fats then?

Don't know where to go with that Wookie.

The link is good though, I'll read it all.

You are probably right about the danger it is for me to talk about these things as treatments, but they are just things that work for me.

I have 30ml or so of Flax but am otherwise on quite a low fat diet by the flow of things at the moment, maybe that would be to much for others. Similarly with the baths, half the amounts I suggested may be better as people see if they react strongly to them.

Of course I'm not expecting anyone to go beyond trying an Epsom Salts bath, but I whole heartedly believe in them and will seek to prove their worthiness of focus. At the moment I am reading more on metabolic waste though and shooting off in directions looking to better understand some of the more complex actions, sorry if that doesn't align to your wants.

Some more on Magnesium;

Deficiency (from low dietary intake or excess loss) is clinically associated with:
• ADD/ADHD
• Alzheimer's
• Angina
• Anxiety disorders
• Arrhythmia
• Arthritis- Rheumatoid and Osteoarthritis
• Asthma
• Autism
• Auto immune disorders- all types
• Cavities
• Cerebral Palsy- in children from magnesium deficient mothers
• Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
• Congestive Heart Disease
• Constipation
• Crooked teeth- narrow jaw- in children from magnesium deficient mothers
• Depression
• Diabetes- Type I and II
• Eating disorders- Bulimia, Anorexia
• Fibromyalgia
• Gut disorders- including peptic ulcer, Crohn's disease, colitis, food allergy
• Heart Disease- Arteriosclerosis, high cholesterol, high triglycerides
• Heart Disease- in infants born to magnesium deficient mothers
• High Blood Pressure
• Hypoglycemia
• Impaired athletic performance
• Infantile Seizure- in children from magnesium deficient mothers
• Insomnia
• Kidney Stones
• Lou Gehrig's Disease
• Migraines- including cluster type
• Mitral Valve Prolapse
• Multiple Sclerosis
• Muscle cramps
• Muscle weakness, fatigue
• Myopia- in children from magnesium deficient mothers
• Obesity- especially obesity associated with high carbohydrate diets
• Osteoporosis- just adding magnesium reversed bone loss
• Parkinson's Disease
• PMS- including menstrual pain and irregularities
• PPH- Primary Pulmonary Hypertension
• Raynaud's
• SIDS- Sudden Infant Death Syndrome
• Stroke
• Syndrome X- insulin resistance
• Thyroid disorders- low, high and auto-immune; low magnesium reduces T4

Other conditions are also associated with chronic and acute low magnesium intake and further research is continuing to confirm relationships.

• Burns- with large surface area
• Calcium- high levels block magnesium absorption
• Carbohydrates- especially white sugar, high fructose corn syrup, white flour
• Chronic pain- any cause
• Coffee- significant losses
• Cyclosporin- extra magnesium can protect from side-effects
• Diabetes- magnesium spills with sugar in the urine
• Diarrhea- any cause
• Dieting- stress plus lowered intake
• Diuretics- even potassium sparing diuretics do not spare magnesium
• Insulin- whether from using insulin or from hyperinsulinemia
• Over-training- extreme athletic physical conditioning/training
• Phentermine / Fenfluramine
• Sodas- especially cola type sodas, both diet and regular
• Sodium- high salt intake
• Stress- physical and mental- anything that gets your fight or flight reaction
• Surgery
• Sweat

Dr. R.H. Waring of the University of Birmingham has also studied topical magnesium absorption in the form of magnesium sulfate salts. In his study, nineteen subjects in good health took daily baths of 12 minutes in duration for a period of seven days. Magnesium sulphate was added to baths and agitated to solution prior to entry. Magnesium blood levels and urine samples were measured in the study, by a flame photometric method.
The results of the study reported changes in magnesium levels in blood before and after the testing period. Blood levels showed an average increase of 10 ppm/ml after one day of soaking, and 36.3 ppm/ml after seven days, indicating an increase in blood magnesium concentration after prolonged soaking.
Dr. Waring’s study proposed that bathing in solutions of magnesium produces effects consistent with saturation of the skin transporters.
The study concluded that bathing 2-3 times per week in a 1% solution of magnesium bath salts would result in health benefits related to an increase in magnesium levels.

""According to the U.S. National Academy of Sciences (1977) there have been more than 50 studies, in nine countries, that have indicated an inverse relationship between water hardness and mortality from cardiovascular disease. That is, people who drink water that is deficient in magnesium and calcium generally appear more susceptible to this disease. The U.S. National Academy of Sciences has estimated that a nation-wide initiative to add calcium and magnesium to soft water might reduce the annual cardiovascular death rate by 150,000 in the United States." ( Dr. Harold D. Foster , "Groundwater and Human Health," Groundwater Resources of British Columbia, Ministry of Environment, Lands, and Parks and Environment Canada, pp 6.1-6.3 (reprint), 1994."

Magnesium Library - http://www.mgwater.com/rod01.shtml

Magnesium Foods - http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=75

Pumpkin Seeds
Spinach
Swiss Chard
Soybeans
Sesame Seeds
Halibut
Black Beans
Sunflower Seeds
Cashews
Almonds

If you have a regular and reasonably rich intake of those above you may not need to think about supplementation (or dietary change), or a nice bath or three a week.

Went to the gym for the 1st time in months lastnight, can hardly move this morning good times haha..

Enjoyed getting a sweat on though...

Can we go back to talking about gym etc - no offence but 500 word essays on scientific studies isn't quite doing it for me

Can we go back to talking about gym etc - no offence but 500 word essays on scientific studies isn't quite doing it for me

images

:lol:

OK in brief! (but not directed at you P.D. you can use the above image for the text below, if it pleases)

Controlled studies of mice who were denied Omega3 gorged on up to 5 or 6 times as much fat when presented with it, compared to the control who had Omega3 balanced in their food.

Might supplementing with fat make you less fat?! Might you crave the wrong foods less? I know it does that for me.

Is it pertinent to this thread? :-k

Back to the gym and eating better starting today.. Had 2 or 3 weeks of pretty much doing nothing and eating rubbish after having a minor operation back in Oct so need to try and get back on track..

Also gonna try and start cutting out the soft drinks (way too much lately) but it's always difficult when you're not a huge fan of drinking loads of water!

Back