• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mousa Dembele

He kind of reminds me of Ibrahimovic ? As when you look at him you kind of dont expect him to be able to do the things he does.

Annoyed, because i was just about to type this, and Fox tinkle hair just mentioned i...Basically he looks like Zidane the way he skips past people. I think it's the close skill, big fella, and stance he adopts. Weird timing from Strachan though!

Funnily, they mentioned ZZ on the box as well. A little close control and a change of pace goes a long way. Thought him and Sandro were solid as a rock tonight, just need to iron out some loose passing on them both

with the footballers around him, he will only get better.
different player, but i'd bet some clubs would pay megabucks for a CM-dribbler type.
i'm confident we'll break into CL football before that happens.

It's a shame that Alex Oxlade has affectionately been given the nickname "The Ox" because that's exactly how I'd describe Dembele, he's a monster on the ball... I would fancy his chances in a wrestling match against Andre the Giant. Solid.

Mousa Dembele has completed the most dribbles in the premier league this season, 12, with an 86% success rate (leagues average 44%)

It's a shame that Alex Oxlade has affectionately been given the nickname "The Ox" because that's exactly how I'd describe Dembele, he's a monster on the ball... I would fancy his chances in a wrestling match against Andre the Giant. Solid.

he's been dead for 20 years, i'd fancy my chances as well

When the deal for João Moutinho broke down late on the final transfer day, maybe many of us thought that the failure to sign the creative midfielder would leave us struggling in centre midfield following the sale of Luka.

The perception was that, at best, Moussa Dembelé could be shoehorned into doing the job until January, when Spurs could go back in for the Portuguese midfielder.

The Belgian was essentially a secondary striker or attacking midfielder, but one that could play deeper as he had been doing for Fulham this season and who had enjoyed deserved praise for his performance at Old Trafford in the role.

The question when he signed was not about the quality of the player, but how well he would perform if selected in the central position. That question has been well and truly answered.

Introduction to Spurs

When Dembelé arrived on the pitch for the second half against Norwich, he seemed to bring a sense of composure with him. It took 23 minutes to make his mark with a well taken goal low past John Ruddy. Those first 23 minutes were a taste of things to come, but in truth the rest of his half was disjointed with a series of positional changes.

The Silk

For his height and size, Dembelé appears extraordinarily graceful on the ball. Unlike Modric, the Belgian prefers to keep the ball and dribble [10 successfully to date]. Dembelé seems to be able to glide past players to create space, not that his passing is in anyway poor, as a passing accuracy of over 86% testifies.

However, whereas Modric liked to play the long ball, Dembelé prefers the short pass exchanges, or the short, incisive and well-timed pass following a dribble to release teammates.

And the Steel

Six interceptions show Dembelé’s ability to read the game, but it’s the 12 tackles won that show a steel. The strength is not in just winning the tackle when defending but when being tackled. A number of times when he has been tackled in possession – at times by a number of the opposition – he has emerged with the ball.

The power is also seen in his surging runs into space as at Old Trafford when he attacked the area between Scholes and Carrick.

Early season imbalance

Essentially the early season combination of Livermore and Sandro wasn’t working. Two defensive midfielders nullifies the creative threat from central midfield. The attacking midfielder [Sigurdsson] playing off Defoe didn’t see enough of the ball to make a telling contribution and too much emphasis is placed on wing play, making Spurs more predictable and easier for the opposition to defend.

Two defensive midfielders also saw Spurs tending to drop deep against the oncoming opposition midfield – the antithesis of AVB’s preference for a high defensive line.

Balance restored

Dembelé’s introduction has several benefits. Strong and powerful enough as a defensive midfielder when needed, this has also allowed Sandro license to move forward in the knowledge that not only can his midfield player win the ball but has the skill to use it well.

The Belgian is comfortable playing the short passes to keep possession, whilst waiting for the right moment to spark the attack either by drifting pass players before releasing the ball or by a driving forward run. In doing so he draws defenders creating space for the forwards, wingers or attacking midfielder.

Dempsey benefited greatly from Dembelé last season and it would be a surprise if the American or Sigurdsson didn’t prosper from the same this.

Modric often played the long or early ball to the wings, meaning both Bale and Lennon were frequently running from deep. Dembelé’s ability to get forward means that both are receiving the ball higher up the pitch. If they are using their pace more in the final third, this should mean they are in theory covering less ground and therefore able to use their pace more often and without tiring so much.

The quietly effective Dembelé brings abilities to Spurs that match AVB’s tactics – the high line, pushing the play away from Spurs third of the pitch, the patient possession play whilst looking to create the attacking opportunity, coupled with the skill to exploit it.

Last season, the central combination of Modric and Parker was [at least until the slump] one of the best in the league. Dembelé and Sandro look as though this season they could be at least the equal of that, if not better.

Come January will we all be saying João Moutin-who?

[video=youtube;RysVO3fjlSQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RysVO3fjlSQ[/video]

[video=youtube;rC7zOdyOmHY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC7zOdyOmHY[/video]

[video=youtube;RysVO3fjlSQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RysVO3fjlSQ[/video]

[video=youtube;rC7zOdyOmHY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC7zOdyOmHY[/video]

Dembele actually looks like the perfect midfielder in these videos. Incredible player.

Strangely for a player who used to be a striker, Dembele is actually pretty good at the defensive side of his game. Unlike most midfielders who can dribble as well as he can, he is quite a big guy and uses his strength well in not only shielding the ball when in possession, but in helping to win it back too.

We've also got Sandro in the middle who isn't your standard "blocker" defensive midfielder, he actually has some good attacking skills too. The two of them look like they were born to play together as they compliment each other so well. I have to admit, I often get them muddled up during games, as they have very similar physique and complexions and you're just as likely to see Sandro charge forward with the ball as you are to see Dembele with a strong tackle to win the ball back. It's early days yet, but they have the potential to be the best central midfield pairing in the Premiership if they continue to develop together.

Strangely for a player who used to be a striker, Dembele is actually pretty good at the defensive side of his game. Unlike most midfielders who can dribble as well as he can, he is quite a big guy and uses his strength well in not only shielding the ball when in possession, but in helping to win it back too.

Im sure I read he made the most tackles for an attacking midfielder in the PL last season

Tottenham boss Andre Villas-Boas is waiting on the results of a scan carried out on Mousa Dembele's troublesome hip.

The niggling complaint, which has carried over from the Belgium international's time at Fulham, kept him out of Saturday's derby date with Chelsea.

Dembele, who linked up with Spurs in a £15million deal on deadline day, aggravated the knock during a World Cup qualifying clash with Scotland.

It is unclear how long the versatile forward will be sidelined for, but Villas-Boas is hoping his medical staff will be reporting back with positive news.

"Top players are missed," said the Portuguese tactician.

"He had a scan, but we haven't see the results yet. He suffers discomfort and pain on his hip, which is not something that shows on the scan so it's difficult to assess.

"Fulham took him off for a period of two weeks (in January). He had a chance to play (against Chelsea) and had a late fitness test, but the pain didn't go away.

"It's something that comes back to him. He fell awkwardly in the Scotland game against Belgium and felt the pain."

www1.skysports.com/football/news/11...llas-Boas-sweating-on-Mousa-Dembele-s-fitness

Sounds potentially ominous to me; I hadn't appreciated that it was an aggravation of an existing problem.

No Dembele means an out of shape Huddlestone or Livermore. Not exactly liking our prospects.

Back