• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

* Official Pre-Season Games Thread *

As a kid growing up (as kids usually do) Uruguay always had a reputation for being nasty bastards - there was a lull in the late 80's and 90's (I think) where they were a non-entity apart from being known as the first hosts of the WC - seems Suarez is single handedly bringing them back to notoriety via WC handballs and apparent racism.

All pre seasons as far back as I can remember we've always started out with fringe players and gradually moved towards the first choice XI.

Yep and every pre-season fans have been predicting that a youth player will become a first team regularly only for them to drop back once the season starts. The best thing that could happen for Carroll and Townsend is a season long loan to a Premiership or Championship club.

couple of questions guys,

1. HOW LONG is bale out for ..if at all?

2. What's more important for a defender to have when employed in a high line.... , intelligence or pace

2. What's more important for a defender to have when employed in a high line.... , intelligence or pace

Intelligence I'd say. But then I've always favoured the mental aspects and footballing ability (first touch especially) over physical prowess anyway so I may be somewhat biased.

Neither. Its the right balance. A fast player can compensate for poor intelligence, an intelligent player can compensate for lack of pace, but great players usually have a bit of both.

More specifically for the high line, pace allows reaction to mistakes, intelligence stops the mistakes, so again the right balance matters.

I'd argue that its the right pairing that is most important, so that the pair includes players with intelligence, pace, physicality and footballing skills. left and right footedness.

Re #1, no idea, left Baltimore in full protective boot, hopefully as precaution.

Going to see the training session tomorrow in NY, hopefully he'll be there, I'll see.

Neither. Its the right balance. A fast player can compensate for poor intelligence, an intelligent player can compensate for lack of pace, but great players usually have a bit of both.

More specifically for the high line, pace allows reaction to mistakes, intelligence stops the mistakes, so again the right balance matters.

I'd argue that its the right pairing that is most important, so that the pair includes players with intelligence, pace, physicality and footballing skills. left and right footedness.

dont agree personally. all about opinions. i think intelligence is more important than having pace when you use a highline.

it was a bit of a loaded question though, i see this now cause the most important thing in the highline is to stop the other guys from playing....which means pressing from the front and midfield is probably the most importnat bit of the high line anyway?

I disagree with that too. Huddlestone has become a decent player (certainly better than I thought he'd end up) but I don't think he was integral to that side.

CM is one of the most important positions on the pitch, he was dictating games that season, integral to our side.

I don't think there was a huge improvement in his game either I just think he was given the confidence from a run in the side in his best position. He always had it in him to produce those performances, it's a myth that he suddenly improved out of nowhere. It's much more likely that those writing him off were just wrong about him and couldn't get the Thudd sterotypes out of their heads.

Back to work today unfortunately must say had a brilliant time in Baltimore, even though we were outnumbered by pool all the noise and support coming from us. Still have no voice! Highlight was meeting Freund at Ryleigh's and the 4 hour sing along before the match Saturday COYS

What is the latest update on Bale's injury, VdV's layoff and Parker's operation?

Apologies if this is the wrong thread

Not sure about the others but saw VDV at training Friday he was doing jogging and sprinting on the side and when asked if he could play if needed he winked and gave a thumbs up I think it's more precautionary with him and his groin trouble history

Back to work today unfortunately must say had a brilliant time in Baltimore, even though we were outnumbered by pool all the noise and support coming from us. Still have no voice! Highlight was meeting Freund at Ryleigh's and the 4 hour sing along before the match Saturday COYS

Agreed on all counts! The march to the stadium was excellent as well. Every Liverpool fan was met with chants of "8th Place, 8th Place!" I also heard a stirring rendition of "You'll never get a job".

Agreed on all counts! The march to the stadium was excellent as well. Every Liverpool fan was met with chants of "8th Place, 8th Place!" I also heard a stirring rendition of "You'll never get a job".

He cheats, he dives he hates the Jackson Five, Luis Suarez, Luis Suarez. haha that one makes me laugh every time

The funniest part of that was the unsuspecting families of Liverpool walking down the street and suddenly met with 1,000 yids shouting 8th place and Suarez chants at them, one the kids will never forget hahahaha

CM is one of the most important positions on the pitch, he was dictating games that season, integral to our side.

I don't think there was a huge improvement in his game either I just think he was given the confidence from a run in the side in his best position. He always had it in him to produce those performances, it's a myth that he suddenly improved out of nowhere. It's much more likely that those writing him off were just wrong about him and couldn't get the Thudd sterotypes out of their heads.

[-(

The following are incontrovertible facts:

1) Huddlestone is bigger than most players therefore he is slow to the point that it detracts from our team's ability to play football
2) Huddlestone is bigger than most therefore he eats too much/doesn't train enough
3) Taking point one as fact, Huddlestone must therefore be lazy because he is slow
4) Huddlestone should score more often (despite spending most of his time in the same part of the pitch as Parker who doesn't have to)
5) An intelligent, well-weighted and dangerous through ball may not be described as such when played by Huddlestone. It must be a "Hollywood pass" (with all the negative connotations of such a statement
6) If Huddleston fails to fly into a tackle from 3-5 yards away during a match, it was not down to good positioning and reading the game, it was down to lacking heart, courage, guts, etc.
7) Huddlestone can only play in a midfield against poor opposition and/or a midfield 2. Mention any of the matches we won against 3-man midfielded top teams with Hudd in midfield and I'll put you on ignore.

Back