• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cristian Romero

That tends to suggest that Romero is far more in control of his aggression than some here think. If he wanted revenge that deserved far more than a tug of the hair.
And Tuchel can get fudged with his hard done by rubbish, should have been playing with 10 men.

Don’t see a problem with either goal, and the media being biased towards certain opinions does get annoying.

The 1st goal he maybe got a touch on the ball, but even if not 3 Chelsea players touched the ball in between then and us scoring.

The hair pull was a foul, but if the ref didn’t see it then VAR can’t give fouls. Not like we scored from that play.

Back to Romero, love him and agree it’s all largely controlled. Think even the face scream is reserved for own goals (James got a small touch), nothing wrong with being a clam as long as he remains a world class defender.

That tends to suggest that Romero is far more in control of his aggression than some here think. If he wanted revenge that deserved far more than a tug of the hair.
And Tuchel can get fudged with his hard done by rubbish, should have been playing with 10 men.

I think he's much more in control than most people think.

Being in control of your aggression is fairly easy if you play with little to no aggression. Becomes harder the more aggressive you play imo. Very few players can play like Romero without losing their head/control.

Can see similar signs with how he responds after winning the ball. For a lot of players aggression comes with a loss of composure, so when in "aggressive mode" their next action after winning the ball (through said aggression or otherwise) is often rushed, lacking in composure. Romero is usually cool as a cucumber in a drink with ice more or less immediately after winning the ball. Even when in "aggressive mode". This to me is a sign of him being in control.

If he frequently lost control in these situations we'd see it when he or the team won possession.

Being in control of your aggression is fairly easy if you play with little to no aggression. Becomes harder the more aggressive you play imo. Very few players can play like Romero without losing their head/control.

Can see similar signs with how he responds after winning the ball. For a lot of players aggression comes with a loss of composure, so when in "aggressive mode" their next action after winning the ball (through said aggression or otherwise) is often rushed, lacking in composure. Romero is usually cool as a cucumber in a drink with ice more or less immediately after winning the ball. Even when in "aggressive mode". This to me is a sign of him being in control.

If he frequently lost control in these situations we'd see it when he or the team won possession.
I'm pretty sure his wallet is the one with BAD MUTHAfudgeR on it.

This is what makes him so good, he can win the ball back and then either knows what to do with it right after or is calm/composed enough to hold it up for a few seconds to see where the ball needs to go. It's this ability to deliberate while under pressure without losing the ball that makes him so good. Just needs to be careful with timing his challenges, normally he's very good in this department but I noticed he did mistime a challenge or two in our opening matches. Maybe seems like nitpicking but I have really high standards for him.

This is what makes him so good, he can win the ball back and then either knows what to do with it right after or is calm/composed enough to hold it up for a few seconds to see where the ball needs to go. It's this ability to deliberate while under pressure without losing the ball that makes him so good. Just needs to be careful with timing his challenges, normally he's very good in this department but I noticed he did mistime a challenge or two in our opening matches. Maybe seems like nitpicking but I have really high standards for him.

I think it needs to be accepted that he will miss some. He makes a lot of tackles and no one gets all tackles right.

He's conceded 1 foul so far this season.

He's conceded 1 foul so far this season.
Again, I did say I was nitpicking, I don't think anyone will argue that 1 foul and 0 cards is bad although whether Romero got lucky or not is another debate. I personally don't blame him for wanting to get revenge for the hair pull but if that were spotted, that's an instant red card so I don't think it's debatable to state that he needs to be more careful.

Another thing. Cucurella clearly has Romero by the armpits in that tussle...I don't think he was protecting them from the heat. A pinch and a pull more like. I didn't used to have any thoughts on Tuchel but he has quickly accelerated into my 'hate' ranks with his flimflam. Some measure of justice in him getting banned and Antonio not...

Again, I did say I was nitpicking, I don't think anyone will argue that 1 foul and 0 cards is bad although whether Romero got lucky or not is another debate. I personally don't blame him for wanting to get revenge for the hair pull but if that were spotted, that's an instant red card so I don't think it's debatable to state that he needs to be more careful.

You've been seeing that Conte has been talking to him about this since close-season?

You've been seeing that Conte has been talking to him about this since close-season?
No, has he? I honestly don't know if you're referring to some article or being figurative :)
Romero plays at the very boundaries of legality but is in control of it, and he has a certain fearlessness that other players try to exude but end up making an ass of themselves instead (Chiriches, Foyth, among others). That's exactly what we need: someone who can defend well and make good passes, as well as handle the other "game management" stuff. IMO, what was once a weakness for us is less of a problem now because Romero basically turns into Gandalf and tells them to fudge off if they start with the bullying. Also, I want to clarify since I didn't make it too clear that the stamp on Romero from Cucurella was pretty bad and that I think Romero was justified in retaliating. Just be more sneaky about it, a hair tug is too blatant but maybe try to tie his hair to the netting in the goal, I don't know, he can be more creative than me.

No, has he? I honestly don't know if you're referring to some article or being figurative :)
Romero plays at the very boundaries of legality but is in control of it, and he has a certain fearlessness that other players try to exude but end up making an ass of themselves instead (Chiriches, Foyth, among others). That's exactly what we need: someone who can defend well and make good passes, as well as handle the other "game management" stuff. IMO, what was once a weakness for us is less of a problem now because Romero basically turns into Gandalf and tells them to fudge off if they start with the bullying. Also, I want to clarify since I didn't make it too clear that the stamp on Romero from Cucurella was pretty bad and that I think Romero was justified in retaliating. Just be more sneaky about it, a hair tug is too blatant but maybe try to tie his hair to the netting in the goal, I don't know, he can be more creative than me.

Indeed...and yes, Conte has said a few times since South East Asia that he is talking to CR about that line and how to know moments in games. To be fair, he was generally walked the line very well, especially when on a yellow. There have been some moments already this season which have made me wince.

Indeed...and yes, Conte has said a few times since South East Asia that he is talking to CR about that line and how to know moments in games. To be fair, he was generally walked the line very well, especially when on a yellow. There have been some moments already this season which have made me wince.

This

And also the dangers with a player like Romero, where this is likely to be instinctive as much as intent, and the role he plays, that if you try to change it too much its to the detriment of the player himself

Back