• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Circus ManUnitus - Erik's At The Wheel

Two games in, already looks like they need to sack the manager.

Which would make them look even worse as a club. Who would want to take over? They're trapped. Their results will presumably improve (it's virtually impossible to get worse) so ETH will be able to claim to be making improvements.

I don't see that they have a way out. The structure of the club and the players they have combined to create the current situation. Both Neville and Redknapp were right. The only hope for them is that ETH is a miracle worker.

Gary Neville is a good pundit but not nearly as clever as he thinks. The pseudo intellectual nonsense he spoke about Conte going to United is being shown up for what it is now.

Conte was exactly what they needed. That squad, for whatever reason, is a mess. They needed someone with authority to go in there and rattle some cages with a well defined way of playing. Conte would have given that. Instead they’ve gone for a “project manager” who could well prove is well out of his depth. It is, of course, way too soon to draw any conclusions on EtH but I can say one thing for sure. Antonio Conte would not have lost 4-0 against Brentford.

Conte without Paratici would not have worked there at all.

Conte without Paratici would not have worked there at all.

Thats a possibility. And underscores the point that the problems at United are much bigger than the manager. But if you look at bringing Conte in, you give him the tools to make him a success. Conte could have been successful at Man U in my view and its pseudo intellectual nonsense on Neville's part to suggest otherwise.

On a sidenote, its funny to see how a Sporting Director is now seen as key at English football clubs. We were pilloried for operating that model all through the 2000s.

By the looks of it and the talk Paratici is what they would have needed before a Conte. Whoever is running the football side day to day is clueless, isnt it a lawyer or something hah
Credit to Levy, we were in a similar mess, and he worked it out and executed this solution.

Thats a possibility. And underscores the point that the problems at United are much bigger than the manager. But if you look at bringing Conte in, you give him the tools to make him a success. Conte could have been successful at Man U in my view and its pseudo intellectual nonsense on Neville's part to suggest otherwise.

On a sidenote, its funny to see how a Sporting Director is now seen as key at English football clubs. We were pilloried for operating that model all through the 2000s.

Agreed. Levy tried several times. Comolli was pretty good.

In hindsight he was although he took a lot of stick at the time. My one argument against him was that he signed a lot of similar players and the squad was unbalanced.

Thought Arnesen was going to build something really special with BMJ until the Chavs gave him his 30 pieces of silver. That pair really kick started our renaissance from mid table mediocrity.

In hindsight he was although he took a lot of stick at the time. My one argument against him was that he signed a lot of similar players and the squad was unbalanced.

Thought Arnesen was going to build something really special with BMJ until the Chavs gave him his 30 pieces of silver. That pair really kick started our renaissance from mid table mediocrity.

The whole younger talent that could be at least redeemed if they were rubbish but more importantly we managed to flip and progress with the Modrics and Bales of the world. Even the duds we wholesaled to Sunderland that time we made a stonking profit

How much of Liverpool’s current success can be attributed to Comolli’s input I wonder? He did sign Jordan Henderson and Luis Suarez who clearly were hits…. But I’m not sure Andy Carroll, Stuart Downing or Charlie Adam can be classed as successful

How much of Liverpool’s current success can be attributed to Comolli’s input I wonder? He did sign Jordan Henderson and Luis Suarez who clearly were hits…. But I’m not sure Andy Carroll, Stuart Downing or Charlie Adam can be classed as successful
Comolli was at Liverpool for just 18 months, and left over 10 years ago. Bit harsh to be judging him on their current squad a decade later.

Comolli was at Liverpool for just 18 months, and left over 10 years ago. Bit harsh to be judging him on their current squad a decade later.
I'm not being judgemental... Steff was arguing that Comolli was pretty successful at Liverpool despite it being a decade ago and I was actually agreeing. I think there is no question that Henderson and Suares were great buys.... Henderson is still there and is still a key part of their playing style today. Looking in detail, Comolli signed 11 players for Liverpool, roughly 20% of whom were real successes... 30% were so so, and 50% have disappeared without trace.
1 Andy Carroll, (22 when he signed on 31 Jan 11): £35m, 49 total appearances, 10 goals
2 Luis Suárez (24 on 31/1/11): £22.7m, 46, 17
3 Jordan Henderson (20 on 9/6/11): £20m, 41, 1
4 Charlie Adam (25 on 8/7/11): £8.5m, 35, 2
5 Stewart Downing (26 on 9/7/11): £20m, 39, 2
6 Doni (31 on 15/7/11): free, 2, 0
7 José Enrique (25 on 12/8/11): £7m, 39, 0
8 Sebastián Coates (20 on 30/8/11): £7m, 10, 1
9 Craig Bellamy (32 on 31/8/11): free, 32, 9
10 Jordan Ibe (16 on 12/12/11): £500k, 0, 0
11 Danny Ward (18 on 30/1/12): £100k, 0, 0

I'm not being judgemental... Steff was arguing that Comolli was pretty successful at Liverpool despite it being a decade ago and I was actually agreeing. I think there is no question that Henderson and Suares were great buys.... Henderson is still there and is still a key part of their playing style today. Looking in detail, Comolli signed 11 players for Liverpool, roughly 20% of whom were real successes... 30% were so so, and 50% have disappeared without trace.
1 Andy Carroll, (22 when he signed on 31 Jan 11): £35m, 49 total appearances, 10 goals
2 Luis Suárez (24 on 31/1/11): £22.7m, 46, 17
3 Jordan Henderson (20 on 9/6/11): £20m, 41, 1
4 Charlie Adam (25 on 8/7/11): £8.5m, 35, 2
5 Stewart Downing (26 on 9/7/11): £20m, 39, 2
6 Doni (31 on 15/7/11): free, 2, 0
7 José Enrique (25 on 12/8/11): £7m, 39, 0
8 Sebastián Coates (20 on 30/8/11): £7m, 10, 1
9 Craig Bellamy (32 on 31/8/11): free, 32, 9
10 Jordan Ibe (16 on 12/12/11): £500k, 0, 0
11 Danny Ward (18 on 30/1/12): £100k, 0, 0

I think Steff was saying Comolli was pretty good at Spurs. He had a few duffs: Bentley and Ramos being the most obvious, but on the other hand you have Modric, Bale, Berbatov, Disco Benny..

Last edited:
I can't remember who sold up to the Glazers...but the numbers (for siphoning) are staggering. To think they c.ould of quite easily ended up with a 'normal' owner. No leverage, no interest, no dividends, no share sales, etc and no debt.

Their take out is the equivalent to a new stadium and training ground.

Screenshot_2022-08-16-22-32-38-93_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-08-16-22-32-38-93_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-08-16-22-32-38-93_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg
    696.2 KB · Views: 4
I can't remember who sold up to the Glazers...but the numbers (for siphoning) are staggering. To think they c.ould of quite easily ended up with a 'normal' owner. No leverage, no interest, no dividends, no share sales, etc and no debt.

Their take out is the equivalent to a new stadium and training ground.

View attachment 14425
Chelsea could go the same way
They have already borrowed £800m with very little fanfare

I think Steph was saying Comolli was pretty good at Spurs. He had a few duffs: Bentley and Ramos being the most obvious, but on the other hand you have Modric, Bale, Berbatov, Disco Benny..

Indeed, and to further add to my overall point, it was that Levy was clearly trying very hard to continue with the DoF model despite Arnesen fudging him over. That is probably one of the main reasons I hate Chelsea (as well as their horrible racist fan base), they saw what Levy was doing with Arnesen and simply 'bought' him. I personally never forgave Arnesen for that betrayal...

Back