• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer thread

JWP is quality but I can’t see how he gets into our team at present. Think he would be a monster playing for the gooners or say Saudi Sportswashing Machine etc

Let’s go and get Ward-Prowse out of Southampton.

I think he is a highlights reel player more than a week in week out quality player, known for knocking in the odd freekick but other than that he is not the efficient type, looks like he is wading treacle the rest of the time. I watched him after his goal last week and he did little more after.

I think he is a highlights reel player more than a week in week out quality player, known for knocking in the odd freekick but other than that he is not the efficient type, looks like he is wading treacle the rest of the time. I watched him after his goal last week and he did little more after.

Disagree. One of the best midfielders outside the top 6 IMO.

Lol better than Messi last season :

James Ward-Prowse put numerous deliveries on a plate for his teammates, creating 39 shots on goal from set-pieces, a total surpassed only by Mason Mount, but registering six set-piece assists, tied 1st in the league with West Ham’s Aaron Cresswell. The data confirms Ward-Prowse’s world class dead-ball ability. He’s scored ten direct free-kicks from 4.4 xG and 72 shots over the last six seasons, a scoring rate that means it’s possible he genuinely might be an even better free-kick taker than Lionel Messi—Messi has 39 goals from 423 direct free-kicks across his entire La Liga shaking out at a 9% conversion rate, a clip that pales in comparison to Ward-Prowse’s 14%. [https://statsbomb]

https://statsbomb.com/articles/soccer/southampton-season-preview-2021-22/
6a34ca0bc69b1e730cf0b2a14061acec.jpg

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

Lol better than Messi last season :

James Ward-Prowse put numerous deliveries on a plate for his teammates, creating 39 shots on goal from set-pieces, a total surpassed only by Mason Mount, but registering six set-piece assists, tied 1st in the league with West Ham’s Aaron Cresswell. The data confirms Ward-Prowse’s world class dead-ball ability. He’s scored ten direct free-kicks from 4.4 xG and 72 shots over the last six seasons, a scoring rate that means it’s possible he genuinely might be an even better free-kick taker than Lionel Messi—Messi has 39 goals from 423 direct free-kicks across his entire La Liga shaking out at a 9% conversion rate, a clip that pales in comparison to Ward-Prowse’s 14%. [https://statsbomb]

https://statsbomb.com/articles/soccer/southampton-season-preview-2021-22/
6a34ca0bc69b1e730cf0b2a14061acec.jpg

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk
He is probably the best set piece taker in world football isn’t he? The Stats don’t lie here.

Football isn’t just played when the ball is dead though, the majority of the time the ball is actually in play! I think the debate is whether his in play ability is strong enough to warrant a place in the team.

He is probably the best set piece taker in world football isn’t he? The Stats don’t lie here.

Football isn’t just played when the ball is dead though, the majority of the time the ball is actually in play! I think the debate is whether his in play ability is strong enough to warrant a place in the team.

Only one game etc etc but he setup 2 goals in the last 10 minutes to beat us earlier in the year.

That Aouar guy at Lyon that some here wanted before we got Bentancur is signing for Forest, so will be interesting to see how he gets on in this league.

Well, what that game showed, imo is that we still need an upgrade at CCB, LCB and in midfield, where we need a press-resistant player who can pick the ball up deep, evade challenges and turn. The sort of profile of a right-sided AM, like Kulusevski, but more used to playing in central midfield.

The first two are fairly self-evident - we cannot play out from high presses, and it remains a critical issue that will stop us competing at the very top. Teams will try to press us high and hard, and we need to be able to play out from the back.

Maybe Lenglet is the solution on the left, I dunno. But we need a playmaking center-back in Dier's place, and a press-resistant midfielder to offer an alternative in games like this. I hope we can make enough money from sales in the next couple of weeks to address at least one of the two gaps above.

Well, what that game showed, imo is that we still need an upgrade at CCB, LCB and in midfield, where we need a press-resistant player who can pick the ball up deep, evade challenges and turn. The sort of profile of a right-sided AM, like Kulusevski, but more used to playing in central midfield.

The first two are fairly self-evident - we cannot play out from high presses, and it remains a critical issue that will stop us competing at the very top. Teams will try to press us high and hard, and we need to be able to play out from the back.

Maybe Lenglet is the solution on the left, I dunno. But we need a playmaking center-back in Dier's place, and a press-resistant midfielder to offer an alternative in games like this. I hope we can make enough money from sales in the next couple of weeks to address at least one of the two gaps above.
IMO… never over react to one game vs Chelsea. That was as good as they will play all season and we were not good
Dier is fine, even with some poor passes
Davies is fine
The team is still WIP and it will be ongoing
We could have gone for someone like Koulibaly who was all over the place defensively
We have Lenglet who has already shown he can pass brilliantly
We’re fine now IMO unless a top top drawer player becomes available and is far…. None have

Haven't you just described Bissouma?

Haven't you just described Bissouma?

Sort of, but I get the sense that he isn't going to play in a three or even in place of Hojbjerg (my preference for a more skillful midfield). Early days, but it looks like he's being swapped in for Bentancur, which is only a marginal upgrade that leaves the midfield still pretty one-paced.

We need a player in Kulusevski's mold, imo, but one comfortable dropping into a midfield three, which he isn't. Just to offer us something different and help us get around the press better. There are a bunch of players like that on the market right now - Milinkovic-Savic, Paqueta, Maddison, Soler - but if's a question of if we have the time, space, money and energy to pursue them at this point.

I would say there's definitely a lot of room for improvement.

However, we started none of our new signings. We're still early in the season and up against a very good team away from home.

Being second best away from home against other big teams happens from time to time.

That being said I agree with you on where there's room for improvement. I also think the players that would be a clear step up in those regards while being as good (or better) defensively are very rare and will be difficult to get.

I would say there's definitely a lot of room for improvement.

However, we started none of our new signings. We're still early in the season and up against a very good team away from home.

Being second best away from home against other big teams happens from time to time.

That being said I agree with you on where there's room for improvement. I also think the players that would be a clear step up in those regards while being as good (or better) defensively are very rare and will be difficult to get.

This is also true, but this problem predates this season - we've had trouble breaking through pressing teams for close to the entirety of the time pressing has been a thing in the Premier League.

I'm not joking - we have always struggled against the press to varying degrees, even under Poch when we were the arch-pressers ourselves. I remember his first game against Klopp as an example of this - Poch's first game against Pep had seen us beat them utterly hollow on the way to a 2-0 victory that should really have been 5-0, with us hunting down and dispossessing City's panicked players at will.

But when we played against Klopp, who had only arrived a week earlier, his team counterpressed us ferociously, and we actually struggled to get out of our half. We scraped a 0-0 that day, iirc.

In the early years, when we were the pioneers of all-aspect pressing, we had a trump card when counterpressed that hid our weaknesses as a unit - Dembele, who truly was a once in a generation player. He allowed us to press, and made it *very* difficult to counterpress us. But outside of him, a lot of our players struggled under the press - even our attacking quartet of Eriksen, Alli, Son and Kane. And as Dembele declined, our ability to play out of the press declined with it, until 2018/2019 when our approach was bypassing our midfield entirely and just lumping it to our forwards, because we couldn't hold it in midfield at all. Somehow, our fitness and the quality of our forwards in Kane, Son and Eriksen scraped us into the CL final, but it was clear we needed a change.

Accordingly, following 2018/2019, we signed Lo Celso and Ndombele to add to Alli, precisely because, on paper, they would comprise the most all-aspect pressing and press-resistant midfield in Europe. Sadly, one was a permacrock, one was a fat waste of space, and one had lost everything that once made him a good player - and, with our last bits of technical skill in midfield gone, we regressed to being a low block team, encouraged by the caveman-like approach of Mourinho who took away the one thing that had allowed us to compete despite our declining technical levels - our fitness.

So, there's a point to this story I'm telling - it's that, although we introduced the high-press to the league (well, after Soton, anyway), we were never good at evading it ourselves. Other teams were - they got better at it, they built teams full of players who could play through the press, from goalkeeper to striker. Liverpool and City most prominently.

To get back to the levels of dominance we enjoyed in 2016/2017, we can no longer rely on having a unique one-off player like Dembele to save us - we need to become press-resistant, and it needs to be right through the side.

We cannot replace Kane and Son, although neither of them are...great at evading the press. But we have to replace Dier, and we have to replace Davies, imo.

Now, whether we can actually do that is open to question - as you said, not many good players around in either position atm. But we have to do it if we really want to get anywhere, imo - otherwise we will always look limited against technically skilled teams like Chelsea, whenever we come up against them.

Back