• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread - Officially Second In A One Horse Race

What did the Palace fans do - repeated chanting about it?

On happier matters, I still visit football365 from time to time and loved reading this message in from a long-time Arsenal fan:

"Apologies for interrupting the street carnival for Arsenal beating Palace away (having spent over £120m in the window)…but I wanted to pick up on something John Matrix AFC said. No, not the part where he claims “most Arsenal fans I speak to” (which sounds a lot like when Trump would claim “many people I’m talking to”….riiight).
No. What I was interested in was his comment that Arteta “has a 5-year plan”. Could he please point to any evidence that Arteta said this when he took the job? Where has this arbitrary “5 years” number come from? A cynic might ask whether after 5 years, it’ll change to 10 years, etc.

What is the objective after those 5 years is the question? Because it’s fine saying “5 year plans” but what is the actual target? I note John AFC doesn’t actually state one? Hmm. Arteta has spent over £250m in two summer windows – so please don’t dare tell me “Top 4” is the objective. I’ll have to repeat this for those hard of hearing: Antonio. Conte.

Turned up to a Spurs team who sacked their manager mid-season. Sitting in 8th place, having been spanked at Emirates. Arsenal were riding high above them. Conte arrived, no preseason, not his players, morale low, spent virtually nothing in the winter window. Yet in just six months, he took a Spurs side with a lower wage bill, much lower transfer spend and managed Top 4! So no, let’s not hear excuses that “he had two amazing strikers” because so did Nuno and we weren’t hearing that excuse when Arsenal were above them last season?

So I ask again: given that Conte managed Top 4 in six months with a club that was on the floor…I’m assuming that having spent over £250m and given over 3 years, the Arteta “5-year plan” must be to compete to win the PL and CL. Right? Because if you’re telling us Arteta is so great that with about £250m and four years patience, he might match what took Conte just a few months and no money…then I’ll leave that right there. Oh and as for the “Arteta changed the culture” – again, see Conte at Spurs. Kane working hard again, players tracking, no slouching. Standards that were absent under Nuno. Took him a few months. But hey, maybe after 5 years, Mikel will be able to improve on 8th, 8th and 5th (playing one game a week!).

Perhaps he could play YNWA on a megaphone before each game, hence ensuring comfortable 4-0 thrashings."
Could not have put it better myself. The cult of Arteta is strong though.

Arsenal 1 — Leicester 0
Jesus 24“

Great game of football.
Saliba, Zinchenko, Odegard and Jesus all looking much improved and classy.
They are going to be strong contenders for top 4.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

Their fans are fudging unbearable. I can’t wait until the Europa League sorts them out.

I still don’t think they have the strength of character or the manager to mount much of a challenge this season but would like the bubble to burst sooner rather than later. Momentum can be a big factor in these things and momentum for them would also be damaging for my mental health.

Leicester are awful. Not beating them at home would be a poor result for anyone at this present time. They will be fighting relegation if they carry on like they are.

Leicester is passing reasonably well just that individual quality is missing. Arsenal has bought well the new additions are playing better individually as well as giving a lift to the team. Xhaka is an obvious weak link and Ramsdale is unconvincing hope they don't realise it soon. Leicester is going to face a huge quality drop if they can't replace maddison and fofana with others of similar quality.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

Not a peep on the documentary about their bottling of the game against us because of their ONE Covid case.

Major point in the season an away game against their bitter local rivals, they are down to bare bones with a member of staff feeling a bit unwell, will they be able to get the game postponed or will the brave underdogs be forced to play a severely weakened team, this is high drama, watch the tension build, see the brave YOUNG manager try to plan his tactics with limited resources, visit the ailing member of staff on deaths door. This is television gold.

The more I watch it the more I like Arteta tbh.

I think he’s genuine, I think he cares about his players, I think he’s putting everything he has into it.

The more I watch it the more I like Arteta tbh.

I think he’s genuine, I think he cares about his players, I think he’s putting everything he has into it.

Poch always rated him and wanted him on his coaching staff (they were teammates at PSG). I just don't think he has the presence or vision to be a top head coach.

Poch always rated him and wanted him on his coaching staff (they were teammates at PSG). I just don't think he has the presence or vision to be a top head coach.

That may be the case, I’m solely talking about his character.

I’ll lower my voice for this bit, but, I think he’s quite similar to Poch in his management style. Had our AoN been in a Poch season we’d have seen some crazy stuff too, we already know about that lemon nonsense.

That may be the case, I’m solely talking about his character.

I’ll lower my voice for this bit, but, I think he’s quite similar to Poch in his management style. Had our AoN been in a Poch season we’d have seen some crazy stuff too, we already know about that lemon nonsense.

i agree with you - and will go further that they are good with young teams, dealing with boys not men and big egos.... so still some way from a top tier manager. i anticipate this young arsenal team to surprise like poch's wonder spurs... but also disappoint in equal measure due to inconsistency. arteta seems to have any edge on poch for being able to refresh his squad, but he will need to manage the egos of 3 jesus in attack to break into the next level. poch was unconvincing at PSG (though he had the greatest egos to manage there) and possibly might be the right manager for Man U.

I watched until the first goal. Firstly, Arsenal still look defensively brittle. Leicester carved out two great chances early. Second, Leicester are brick! They have signed nobody and Vardy's legs have gone. I reckon they would be my outside bet for relegation.

Back