• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread - Officially Second In A One Horse Race

Expensive additions but hit the ground running with arteta making arsenal into a Emirates Marketing Project-wannabe. They are better than last year for sure. Much better than Man U and West Ham, so will be in the mix for top 4

Sent from my SM-S908E using Fapatalk

They're out in force today, apparently we're worried about them and it's us who's in "last chance saloon" - not their manager who has spent £350m and counting in 3 years with no CL football to show for it.

Palace could have made it interesting if they had taken their chances, they're top heavy again, may have to score 3 to win a lot of games.

Emery finished 5th in the league in his last full season. Arteta got 8th, 8th, then spent the most of any team in europe and got 5th.

How is that progress?

Emery finished 5th in the league in his last full season. Arteta got 8th, 8th, then spent the most of any team in europe and got 5th.

How is that progress?

What they have done is taken some good steps towards building a squad of players that fit together in a system. And gotten them close to a top 4 finish. More or less a realistic league finish for them at this point.

I can definitely see how people view that as progress. Also done a rather necessary generational change, always a difficult time to get short term results.

Still a lot left to be done to get to where they want to be. Still question marks over Arteta's ability to get there. But I can, unfortunately, see progress.

What they have done is taken some good steps towards building a squad of players that fit together in a system. And gotten them close to a top 4 finish. More or less a realistic league finish for them at this point.

I can definitely see how people view that as progress. Also done a rather necessary generational change, always a difficult time to get short term results.

Still a lot left to be done to get to where they want to be. Still question marks over Arteta's ability to get there. But I can, unfortunately, see progress.

Progress from 8th yes, from 5th no. They finished with 1 less point last season than they did under emery. Ok they have a young team that has potential. If they reach that potential and finish higher that would be progress. At the moment though they are treading water.

Progress from 8th yes, from 5th no. They finished with 1 less point last season than they did under emery. Ok they have a young team that has potential. If they reach that potential and finish higher that would be progress. At the moment though they are treading water.

They were far from a 5th place finish when Emery was sacked. Looked lost. With several key players either getting up there in age or demotivated.

Sure getting back to fifth, taking a while to get there, can be described at threading water. From the starting point, when Arteta actually took over I don't think it is. Particularly with several former key players dropping off a cliff or out of the club in the process.

Either way the test for Arteta now is making that next step. Minimising the poor runs that have been too frequent and too long under him so far, more consistency and a step up in overall performances and results.

Personally I think Arsenal will improve, or continue progressing. But right now we look to be in a stronger position and the question will be if Chelsea and Manchester United get their brick together or leave a gap for Arsenal to get their first top four finish in ages, more concrete progression.

I read this thread as I was hoping to see more about Tony Adams joining Strictly, he'll do really well in that John Travolta dance where he has to pose with his arm in the air shouting offside.

That "young" team excuse is a fallacy, they may average 24 but they had 8 full internationals in their starting 11 on Friday. If you're good enough you're old enough.

That "young" team excuse is a fallacy, they may average 24 but they had 8 full internationals in their starting 11 on Friday. If you're good enough you're old enough.

To be fair in this world of 12 subs and at least 10 internationals a year caps are pretty cheap.

I think playing just over 40 games helped their progress last season, I wonder what the Thursday / Sunday schedule will do this time around?

Having ourselves and Utd in turmoil for most of the season also helped their progress i think.
Massively helped them and it will become clear as this season goes on

For a club to have spent about £300m over the last two seasons and to actually have the bench they did vs place I was surprised
It was utter brick and then some
Their only missing two players due to injury too

Apparently the postponed NLD is not being mentioned at all in the documentary.

How convenient.

Just like how Palace's relentless calling out of the Partey debacle (how on earth is he still playing when Greenwood and Siguardson have been dealt with appropriately) was glossed over by all the media at the weekend.

Hadn't realised they'd done this too

FZbSJrHWIAEvdU7

What did the Palace fans do - repeated chanting about it?

On happier matters, I still visit football365 from time to time and loved reading this message in from a long-time Arsenal fan:

"Apologies for interrupting the street carnival for Arsenal beating Palace away (having spent over £120m in the window)…but I wanted to pick up on something John Matrix AFC said. No, not the part where he claims “most Arsenal fans I speak to” (which sounds a lot like when Trump would claim “many people I’m talking to”….riiight).
No. What I was interested in was his comment that Arteta “has a 5-year plan”. Could he please point to any evidence that Arteta said this when he took the job? Where has this arbitrary “5 years” number come from? A cynic might ask whether after 5 years, it’ll change to 10 years, etc.

What is the objective after those 5 years is the question? Because it’s fine saying “5 year plans” but what is the actual target? I note John AFC doesn’t actually state one? Hmm. Arteta has spent over £250m in two summer windows – so please don’t dare tell me “Top 4” is the objective. I’ll have to repeat this for those hard of hearing: Antonio. Conte.

Turned up to a Spurs team who sacked their manager mid-season. Sitting in 8th place, having been spanked at Emirates. Arsenal were riding high above them. Conte arrived, no preseason, not his players, morale low, spent virtually nothing in the winter window. Yet in just six months, he took a Spurs side with a lower wage bill, much lower transfer spend and managed Top 4! So no, let’s not hear excuses that “he had two amazing strikers” because so did Nuno and we weren’t hearing that excuse when Arsenal were above them last season?

So I ask again: given that Conte managed Top 4 in six months with a club that was on the floor…I’m assuming that having spent over £250m and given over 3 years, the Arteta “5-year plan” must be to compete to win the PL and CL. Right? Because if you’re telling us Arteta is so great that with about £250m and four years patience, he might match what took Conte just a few months and no money…then I’ll leave that right there. Oh and as for the “Arteta changed the culture” – again, see Conte at Spurs. Kane working hard again, players tracking, no slouching. Standards that were absent under Nuno. Took him a few months. But hey, maybe after 5 years, Mikel will be able to improve on 8th, 8th and 5th (playing one game a week!).

Perhaps he could play YNWA on a megaphone before each game, hence ensuring comfortable 4-0 thrashings."

What did the Palace fans do - repeated chanting about it?

On happier matters, I still visit football365 from time to time and loved reading this message in from a long-time Arsenal fan:

"Apologies for interrupting the street carnival for Arsenal beating Palace away (having spent over £120m in the window)…but I wanted to pick up on something John Matrix AFC said. No, not the part where he claims “most Arsenal fans I speak to” (which sounds a lot like when Trump would claim “many people I’m talking to”….riiight).
No. What I was interested in was his comment that Arteta “has a 5-year plan”. Could he please point to any evidence that Arteta said this when he took the job? Where has this arbitrary “5 years” number come from? A cynic might ask whether after 5 years, it’ll change to 10 years, etc.

What is the objective after those 5 years is the question? Because it’s fine saying “5 year plans” but what is the actual target? I note John AFC doesn’t actually state one? Hmm. Arteta has spent over £250m in two summer windows – so please don’t dare tell me “Top 4” is the objective. I’ll have to repeat this for those hard of hearing: Antonio. Conte.

Turned up to a Spurs team who sacked their manager mid-season. Sitting in 8th place, having been spanked at Emirates. Arsenal were riding high above them. Conte arrived, no preseason, not his players, morale low, spent virtually nothing in the winter window. Yet in just six months, he took a Spurs side with a lower wage bill, much lower transfer spend and managed Top 4! So no, let’s not hear excuses that “he had two amazing strikers” because so did Nuno and we weren’t hearing that excuse when Arsenal were above them last season?

So I ask again: given that Conte managed Top 4 in six months with a club that was on the floor…I’m assuming that having spent over £250m and given over 3 years, the Arteta “5-year plan” must be to compete to win the PL and CL. Right? Because if you’re telling us Arteta is so great that with about £250m and four years patience, he might match what took Conte just a few months and no money…then I’ll leave that right there. Oh and as for the “Arteta changed the culture” – again, see Conte at Spurs. Kane working hard again, players tracking, no slouching. Standards that were absent under Nuno. Took him a few months. But hey, maybe after 5 years, Mikel will be able to improve on 8th, 8th and 5th (playing one game a week!).

Perhaps he could play YNWA on a megaphone before each game, hence ensuring comfortable 4-0 thrashings."

Well said that man.

Back