• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

How can Southgate pick McGuire ahead of Eric totally baffles me. This season has been his best for about 4 years for us.

How can Southgate pick McGuire ahead of Eric totally baffles me. This season has been his best for about 4 years for us.
Dier doesn't do as much as other CBs in the league due to Conte's defensive setup and tactics. Less headers less tackles if you look at the stats.

Maybe he's good enough but he surely hasn't had a lot of chances to show what Southgage is looking for.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

Last edited:
I think Coady partly gets in as he’s good for the dressing room atmosphere. Remember what was said about him being a key player off the field in the Euros? That’s not going to be overlooked and he won’t expect to necessarily be selected.

Dier deserves international recognition again but maybe it’s going to help him to be on top of his game next season so as to fight for a place in the World Cup squad. I also think some of what Southgate said yesterday suggested that if he was to name a World Cup squad now that this might not be it. I could be wrong but he seemed to say he wanted to give players a chance to show what they can do.

I think Coady partly gets in as he’s good for the dressing room atmosphere. Remember what was said about him being a key player off the field in the Euros? That’s not going to be overlooked and he won’t expect to necessarily be selected.

Dier deserves international recognition again but maybe it’s going to help him to be on top of his game next season so as to fight for a place in the World Cup squad. I also think some of what Southgate said yesterday suggested that if he was to name a World Cup squad now that this might not be it. I could be wrong but he seemed to say he wanted to give players a chance to show what they can do.
When was the last time that Dier got the chance to show what he can do for England? Southgate is brutal. If he's going to go to a back 3 then Dier and White have to be two of the three.
Saying that, I'm happy that he's left out, just wish he'd leave Kane out the odd time too.

Southgate has his team like a club side and it takes something exceptional to break in.

Rice and Foden managed to take advantage of absences to get in the team but Dier isn’t so outstanding he must be picked is he.

At this point, since we now actually have a squad of players Conte can trust, it won't be too strange to see players' threads drop to page 2 or 3 (especially since most people probably are curious about how the new guys did). His goal was very good but that's stating the obvious, I found that he roamed a bit from his central CB position to make some tackles on the left which were pretty important IMO. I love seeing this fluidity, it makes us more unpredictable and versatile. Finally, I have to say again that I was so wrong about Dier. I don't know how he's not selected for England, and while it might benefit us if he's fresh from taking a month-long break in the middle of the season, I actually think it would be better for him (and ultimately Spurs) to be in the final WC squad.

To be honest this will be probably the first world cup since 1962 that I have no interest in, this England team do not seem to have a plan other than only pass to Kane as a last resort. Southgate doesnt seem to be able to get the best out of Rice, Foden or Grealish or build a defensive unit. Just want Kane to get scoring record and hope none of our players get injured.

To be honest this will be probably the first world cup since 1962 that I have no interest in, this England team do not seem to have a plan other than only pass to Kane as a last resort. Southgate doesnt seem to be able to get the best out of Rice, Foden or Grealish or build a defensive unit. Just want Kane to get scoring record and hope none of our players get injured.

What about 74 or 78? :p

Don’t remember 74, too young, 78 for me is still the best WC, proper old school football hard buy classy.

1982 for me. stuff that dreams were made of. Italy, the forgotten underdogs (since 1938) beat the football gods in the semi (brazil) and giants in the final (w. germany).

italy took the beautiful game away from peak zico, eder and socrates with teamwork, zoff and rossi in the best ever WC semifinal:

Germany got payback - poetic justice for the horror tackle that schumacher made on battiston in their win over peak platini's french team. Zoff, the oldest keeper at the competition ever lifted the world cup.

so much in that magical brazil 82 team that i saw in poch's spurs.
maybe conte is building a world beating italy 82 team with us now.

Do you think what with Maguire being dropped and Eric being very very good in the last 9-12 months that Gareth will actually take him to the world cup? Or do you think Gareth will just go with his favourites?

Do you think what with Maguire being dropped and Eric being very very good in the last 9-12 months that Gareth will actually take him to the world cup? Or do you think Gareth will just go with his favourites?
Dier in a 3 and Dier in a 2 are quite different prospects. Southgate has used 3 at the back previously so if he's considering that formation Dier will likely be at the forefront of his mind. He might just try him again in the back regardless.

It's something for Dier to play for.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

Back