• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

**** Tottenham Hotspur v SCBC ****

After every defeat, especially those where the team has looked like they didn't give everything, the players come out and say 'we have to and will learn from this', yet it happens again time after time after time. Slow learners.

Not under Conte.
Each defeat under him has had a unique touch (the Chelsea trio being the exception -exceptionally naff)…

Kane and Son both worked very hard and created an awful lot of space for those around them. They each had chances, a little rusty but I am unconcerned. Both played well IMO. The only complaint I had was Romero’s scissor foul; simply no need for it, especially at the stage of the match during which it happened. He was lucky not to see a card of any colour. Hopefully he can remove that from his game at such times (now, 15 mins to go in a tight NLD with Jesus on the ball, have at it my good man and we’ll take our chances!!!!!)

Great game, great way to win. Going behind, but just kept doing our thing and getting the result we very much deserved.

Good performances all around. Royal and Sessegnon playing as well as they ever have at wing back for us. Kulusevski the standout for me, but many others that were good.

Kane and Son both worked very hard and created an awful lot of space for those around them. They each had chances, a little rusty but I am unconcerned. Both played well IMO. The only complaint I had was Romero’s scissor foul; simply no need for it, especially at the stage of the match during which it happened. He was lucky not to see a card of any colour. Hopefully he can remove that from his game at such times (now, 15 mins to go in a tight NLD with Jesus on the ball, have at it my good man and we’ll take our chances!!!!!)

Think Southampton were very aware of Kane getting on the ball and doing his thing, he wasn't at his very best and that's when we need others to exploit that space and they very much did.

Totally agree on Romero. Thought it was an unnecessary yellow for Bentancur to pick up too. Like Romero he was otherwise very good though.

Think Southampton were very aware of Kane getting on the ball and doing his thing, he wasn't at his very best and that's when we need others to exploit that space and they very much did.

Totally agree on Romero. Thought it was an unnecessary yellow for Bentancur to pick up too. Like Romero he was otherwise very good though.

Today’s game from Kane was very encouraging in that other sense; he still got into scoring positions, and if Sonny had squared to him on the stroke of HT, that’s a tap in.

Today’s game from Kane was very encouraging in that other sense; he still got into scoring positions, and if Sonny had squared to him on the stroke of HT, that’s a tap in.

Absolutely. Looks fit, just lacking that little bit of quality in a couple of situations. We know he'll deliver that quality sooner or later, usually sooner.

Missed out on just shy of 1200 quid today. Had a 10 pound bet builder. Only element, Kane to score anytime, let me down. So gutted. But a win is a win and we are top of the league.

What odds would you've got on Spurs scoring 4 without Kane or Son scoring?

Our xg yesterday was 1.4 goals. Don’t get that at all and I’m not anti xg.
I thought the same, I mean Sessengnon’s goal, a free header 4 yards out, would be put in the net 99 times out of 100, so not really sure what number was put on that chance, but should be over half you’d think?

I guess it’s skewed generally because own goals aren’t counted, so that chance that ended in an own goal wouldn’t factor in. At least that’s what I was told last season when I queried a similarly bizarre xg rating.

I thought the same, I mean Sessengnon’s goal, a free header 4 yards out, would be put in the net 99 times out of 100, so not really sure what number was put on that chance, but should be over half you’d think?

I guess it’s skewed generally because own goals aren’t counted, so that chance that ended in an own goal wouldn’t factor in. At least that’s what I was told last season when I queried a similarly bizarre xg rating.

A lot of “easy” chances are missed don’t forget, how many time has Reggie missed from there?

KWP was nearby and there was still a keeper in roughly the right place to beat, they were factored in.

Statistically I bet it’s nowhere near 99/100, probably nearer 1/2.

Penalties are a good example, they tend to be separated out in most xG calculations, but the xG for a pen is only around 0.75, as so many are missed/saved.

This highlights how people over rate chances - open goals get missed more often than 1 time in 100 let alone the type of chance Sessegnon had. I'm not going to put a genuine guess on it but i wouldn’t be surprised if it was the type of chance scored less than half the time it was presented to a player

Yea,.. 99 out of 100 is just a turn of phrase! I thought I made that clear by saying the chance should have rated at somewhere above .5. Had I really thought it was 99 times out of 100 I’d have suggested .99

It’s down to the conversation rate of similar chances in the data set.

I think xG is useful, but less useful when looking at a single game. Even for a single game it can give additional information compared to pure shots/shots on target stats, but still.

Not quite sure how those xG models are produced. But looking at the Sessegnon header... Most headers in that position will be significantly worse chances.

Perfect cross with a lot of power. Attacking player able to really attack the ball with the defender backtracking. Compared to most headers from that position from a corner for example it's a significantly better chance. Much worse for the defenders, much easier to attack and score. I don't think the xG models factor that in.

Personally, I think the whole xG debate is a sign of the times. People want 'science', 'facts' and 'objectivity' (or so those who decide which stats you get believe, anyway). If you enjoy that, more power to you. For me, football is all about perception and nothing beats watching the game, preferably in the stadium. History is full of examples of donkeys being made to look like supermen by astute managers because, no matter what game theory tells you, a player will never be the sum of his stats (just ask Lukaku).

As for the game itself, it was fairly enjoyable. We really looked like we know what we're doing. The players didn't lose their nerves when Soton scored on their first shot of the game and that's a good thing too. I also think we looked more fluid than last season, with different players able to make things happen in different areas. Judging by this game, it looks like we have different options to deal with a problem and that's good news. Now, it's just one game and it's just Southampton. Only when the schedule gets more busy will we know if we're really up for it but, at least, it looks like we will be challenging for the Top 4 again which, one year ago, seemed like a dream.

Back