• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emerson Royal

I think if you go to other teams' fora you'll find that everyone is seeing what an elite player Deki is going to be. Woolwich fans can't believe that we beat them to him. United fans wondering why they didn't go in for him. Spam fans fawning over him. Only the scousers believe Diaz is better than him (but then again, haven't seen anyone say he's not good either).

I don't even go on other spurs forums :).
The press seem more interested in the new Liverpool guy, whoever utd are chasing and of cousre arsenals nrxt starlet.

Wonder whether we'll loan Spence out. Conte dodged questions on Friday about whether we will keep all 3 RWBs, and given Royal got the first game and played well, it feels a lot less likely that he's off. Doerhty is the most natural, senior RWB which we have so dont see him going...

I think we can keep all three happy for now. I don't think Emerson or Doherty will be of the opinion that they'll be able to move to better or equally good clubs. Spence is still young, as long as he's developing and getting some games he should be OK. Doherty can cover LWB at times.

If Spence steps up properly there may be another conversation to be had for January. If he really underperformed perhaps a loan for him can be considered.

For now having Doherty and Emerson gives us the chance to let Spence settle in. Tried and tested, trusted players can do their thing.

On Emerson. Better, that's good to see. I think he'll keep his place against Chelsea.

Has improved, that's good to see. Still lacking fluidity, but has on a couple of occasions gotten past his man in dangerous areas and gets into decent positions. Forming a decent partnership with Kulusevski.

Still think he's some way off what we actually need for this role. Perisic is class, but he's come in lacking match fitness and proved a real step up compared to all our other wing back options. Early days, blah blah, disclaimer.

That's where the bar is and should be. I continue to have doubts about Royal ever getting to the required attacking level for this role. It's a huge ask. But good to see solid defending and some positive improvements when attacking.

There were a few times on Saturday where he got the ball and had 30 or 40 yards I front of him where he could drive forward to start the attack and move the team forward but he either doesn't have the pace or the confidence as he always cut back and played a safe pass back to the middle which instantly killed the break opportunity.
Can't fault his defensive ability but given our two midfield players aren't creative, our wing backs our crucial in starting those attacks.
I'm hoping Spence will magically solve the problem.

There were a few times on Saturday where he got the ball and had 30 or 40 yards I front of him where he could drive forward to start the attack and move the team forward but he either doesn't have the pace or the confidence as he always cut back and played a safe pass back to the middle which instantly killed the break opportunity.
Can't fault his defensive ability but given our two midfield players aren't creative, our wing backs our crucial in starting those attacks.
I'm hoping Spence will magically solve the problem.

He did also have a 50 yard lung busting run he made from our box and he looked up and, not only did he have no one ahead of him because the likes of Son and Kane were strolling but he had no one inside him making an angle for a pass either. He had to go backwards in the end to a bit of groaning.

Has improved, that's good to see. Still lacking fluidity, but has on a couple of occasions gotten past his man in dangerous areas and gets into decent positions. Forming a decent partnership with Kulusevski.

Still think he's some way off what we actually need for this role. Perisic is class, but he's come in lacking match fitness and proved a real step up compared to all our other wing back options. Early days, blah blah, disclaimer.

That's where the bar is and should be. I continue to have doubts about Royal ever getting to the required attacking level for this role. It's a huge ask. But good to see solid defending and some positive improvements when attacking.
I think we are at maximum Emerson already.

Defensively he is good.
Effort is unquestioned, he has a great engine.
He is good at finding space.
And good at arriving in the box to be a recipient. Both things he has improved.
The one thing he's not great at is with the ball at his feet. His control is good but as you say he's not very fluid (clunky) and tbh that's a stylistic thing, that's just how you are as a player, and that doesn't get changed with coaching.
And being like that leads to delay, and in a flowing attack, forwards making moves etc it's a big negative.

I think we are at maximum Emerson already.

Defensively he is good.
Effort is unquestioned, he has a great engine.
He is good at finding space.
And good at arriving in the box to be a recipient. Both things he has improved.
The one thing he's not great at is with the ball at his feet. His control is good but as you say he's not very fluid (clunky) and tbh that's a stylistic thing, that's just how you are as a player, and that doesn't get changed with coaching.
And being like that leads to delay, and in a flowing attack, forwards making moves etc it's a big negative.

I think he can take further steps. Decision making, combination play, perhaps be even more of a threat in the box.

I do want our wing backs to have at least one standout attacking quality, crossing, dribbling or finishing/goal scoring. On the right perhaps combination play could also be one of those, with Kulusevski ahead of the RWB, Romero getting forward, that will be useful.

Time will tell, I'm not particularly convinced that he will improve enough, but some chance there. My instinct was that we'd see Doherty back fairly quickly, try to get him back to the form of last season. That hasn't been the case so far, can only assume Conte rates Emerson a fair bit at least. Perhaps thinks there's more coming from him?

I think he can take further steps. Decision making, combination play, perhaps be even more of a threat in the box.

I do want our wing backs to have at least one standout attacking quality, crossing, dribbling or finishing/goal scoring. On the right perhaps combination play could also be one of those, with Kulusevski ahead of the RWB, Romero getting forward, that will be useful.

Time will tell, I'm not particularly convinced that he will improve enough, but some chance there. My instinct was that we'd see Doherty back fairly quickly, try to get him back to the form of last season. That hasn't been the case so far, can only assume Conte rates Emerson a fair bit at least. Perhaps thinks there's more coming from him?
Good points.
I had the same view as you regarding Doherty
The only thing I can suggest with Doherty is he's holding him back to make sure rehab and fitness is 100%. Conte appears quite focussed on the period we start playing twice a week, and wants as bigger squad available for that time.(he keeps quoting 'stupid risks') It wouldn't surprise me if he's feeling a bit cautious about Perisic after Saturday.

Good points.
I had the same view as you regarding Doherty
The only thing I can suggest with Doherty is he's holding him back to make sure rehab and fitness is 100%. Conte appears quite focussed on the period we start playing twice a week, and wants as bigger squad available for that time.(he keeps quoting 'stupid risks') It wouldn't surprise me if he's feeling a bit cautious about Perisic after Saturday.

Quite possibly. Impossible to know what goes on with fitness and niggles.

Could also be tactical. Moura vs. Chelsea made some tactical sense. Against Wolves we were defending a one goal lead so not the best circumstances to throw in a wing back lacking match fitness.

Will be interesting to see what happens over the coming matches.

First half, yes. Second half was different bacon.

Needs to be dropped. He’s not good enough on the ball and that goes against Conte’s tactics, plus means he can’t fully support Kulusevski.

Don’t get me wrong, I think he’s a decent defender, he just isnt a good fit for the tactics.

Needs to be dropped. He’s not good enough on the ball and that goes against Conte’s tactics, plus means he can’t fully support Kulusevski.

Don’t get me wrong, I think he’s a decent defender, he just isnt a good fit for the tactics.

Like many would, Royal looks a lot better if Romero is on. Tactically I reckon he's a solid fit for Conte's approach away against tough opponents or just games that for going to be proper battles, and has clearly improved as time has gone on. That said, his limitations are somewhat more exposed against "minnow" type teams. Still a very good option to have for someone who initially looked properly out of place post Nuno.

Ideally Spence can the ground running and provide a different kind of threat to Royal / Doherty for the games that they would have ended up seeing a lot of the ball against teams that sit back to cover all bases - The shame is we could do with the Spence from a season or two in the future as he may not be ready just yet.

I’m trying to establish what is wrong with our performances this season. We need to really step it up if we are to keep in the top 4 this season with an outside chance to challenge for the league title. We need to ensure that we have the most suited player in each position.

Last match I would have changed the tactics. I would have rested Son, and played with Kulu as a CAM and with Richarlison and Kane as the strikers. I feel as if we do get outnumbered in the centre and with Bissouma making his first start, having an extra man in midfield could have worked better as it was always going to be a battle of a match.

The main problem then is a lack of real attacking width on the right due to Emerson’s skillset being more defensively orientated. The only way around that would have been if Kulusevski came in to the middle without the ball but drifted wide with it. But that would have often left him out of position for counters etc

Emerson is a strong defender but we need attack from that side. I feel it helps us to stretch the game, create bigger gaps in the opponents defence as I’ve seen opponents defend deep against us and narrow and we don’t have a true lock picker creative midfielder. So we need to spread the play to open up the opposition.

My head is bad today so can’t think where I’m going next but if we have a better more attacking right wing back we would be better balanced and more dangerous in attack. The advantage with Emerson, all the above said, is that he helped out defensively when we were without Romero.

Like many would, Royal looks a lot better if Romero is on. Tactically I reckon he's a solid fit for Conte's approach away against tough opponents or just games that for going to be proper battles, and has clearly improved as time has gone on. That said, his limitations are somewhat more exposed against "minnow" type teams. Still a very good option to have for someone who initially looked properly out of place post Nuno.

Ideally Spence can the ground running and provide a different kind of threat to Royal / Doherty for the games that they would have ended up seeing a lot of the ball against teams that sit back to cover all bases - The shame is we could do with the Spence from a season or two in the future as he may not be ready just yet.

Totally agree. Royal is ideal for games like Emirates Marketing Project away next week, but we need better attacking play against teams that aren’t as good or are more cautious against us. Personally I don’t see what Doherty did wrong other than get injured and we missed him IMO.

Totally agree. Royal is ideal for games like Emirates Marketing Project away next week, but we need better attacking play against teams that aren’t as good or are more cautious against us. Personally I don’t see what Doherty did wrong other than get injured and we missed him IMO.

Before his injury Doherty was on song, I would have him back above Royal, I would also use Spence at home above him, especially against a Fulham

Back