• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Formula One on Sky

Yeah agree loved Hamilton diving up the inside of Checo and Le Clerc
There were several times drivers who pulled off amazing overtakes, only to get overtaken again moments later. Terrific racing! Hopefully more of that to come, as it seems several teams have caught up with Red Bull and Ferrari. Seems tighter at the top of the field now.

Safety cars not Hamiltons friend when it comes to winning from MV.

Good to see Mercedes closer, but Red Ball still look significantly faster. Good hustle by Russel.

I told myself not to watch the F1 until they sort out "safety car fiascos", but I got sucked in and just watched the highlights.
It was a decent race until Bottas stopped on the pit straight and everything went to hell.
Ham was 12s behind Max. So if it had been a virtual safety car, Ham could have changed tyres at less 'time cost' than if racing at full speed.
But they go to a real safety car and suddenly Ham is leading because Max gets tyres, and Russell beat Max to the line so he is in second and those placings are "set in stone".
So why didn't Ham then go and get tyres? I don't get it. Silly sport.

I told myself not to watch the F1 until they sort out "safety car fiascos", but I got sucked in and just watched the highlights.
It was a decent race until Bottas stopped on the pit straight and everything went to hell.
Ham was 12s behind Max. So if it had been a virtual safety car, Ham could have changed tyres at less 'time cost' than if racing at full speed.
But they go to a real safety car and suddenly Ham is leading because Max gets tyres, and Russell beat Max to the line so he is in second and those placings are "set in stone".
So why didn't Ham then go and get tyres? I don't get it. Silly sport.
Hamilton couldn't stop really. On softs the RB was significantly faster - the Mercedes only really got close on longer runs with medium/hard tyres.

The way to have made that a race is for Red Bull's sister team to have told their driver to stop somewhere safe and not on the outside of a corner.

Very interesting on the beeb

Seems Ham made a mistake!

I know the feeling, you sit on the drive waiting for your wife to go back inside for the third time and grab her coat, and when you go to drive off... you're not even in D.

Russell said: "We made a bold decision to go for the win. Had we both pitted, we would have conceded position to Max. Had we both stayed out, we would probably both lose to Max as well. The best chance was splitting it and here we are."

In hindsight, Mercedes felt the right call would have been to stop both drivers, because Hamilton not only lost out to Verstappen but also to Russell and Leclerc.

But at the same time, they could not factor in what happened. Hamilton did not admit after the race, but he had made a mistake. He had the engine in the wrong mode at the restart. That's why Verstappen found it so easy to pass so soon - Hamilton was down on power.

This personal error almost certainly explains Hamilton's partly sweary outburst - he hates making mistakes.

"I really thought we were going to be fighting for the win," Hamilton said. "It was finally there, within our grasp, and then the safety car came out and completely screwed us and then I am sitting there, I'm in the lead but I know no matter how good a restart I get I won't be able to keep them behind.

"To see it slip through my fingers, there was such an outburst of emotions, so apologies to my team. But I don't want to apologise for my passion - that is sometimes how it goes.

I know the feeling, you sit on the drive waiting for your wife to go back inside for the third time and grab her coat, and when you go to drive off... you're not even in D.

Russell said: "We made a bold decision to go for the win. Had we both pitted, we would have conceded position to Max. Had we both stayed out, we would probably both lose to Max as well. The best chance was splitting it and here we are."

In hindsight, Mercedes felt the right call would have been to stop both drivers, because Hamilton not only lost out to Verstappen but also to Russell and Leclerc.

But at the same time, they could not factor in what happened. Hamilton did not admit after the race, but he had made a mistake. He had the engine in the wrong mode at the restart. That's why Verstappen found it so easy to pass so soon - Hamilton was down on power.

This personal error almost certainly explains Hamilton's partly sweary outburst - he hates making mistakes.

"I really thought we were going to be fighting for the win," Hamilton said. "It was finally there, within our grasp, and then the safety car came out and completely screwed us and then I am sitting there, I'm in the lead but I know no matter how good a restart I get I won't be able to keep them behind.

"To see it slip through my fingers, there was such an outburst of emotions, so apologies to my team. But I don't want to apologise for my passion - that is sometimes how it goes.
Verstappen was on softs and in a significantly faster car - he'd have cruised past either way.

With the way the safety cars fell, there was no way Mercedes could have won that race.

Hamilton is such a whinging cry baby. Absolutely loved Alonsos radio message about Hamilton last week at Spa.
"This guy only knows how to drive when he's alone and in front"

Hamilton is such a whinging cry baby. Absolutely loved Alonsos radio message about Hamilton last week at Spa.
"This guy only knows how to drive when he's alone and in front"

A tad rich imo, most have heard MV being just as much of a moaning taco on team radio - even to the extent when, iirc, his team told him to be quiet and let them do their job. ;)
As for Fernando, heat of the moment rant is all - blown up due to their past. Was funny at the time though :) but I believe he has even said sorry now and said it was just in the moment.

Maybe Hamilton should have quipped back, "at least I don't need team mates to spin-out to win a race" :D

Frustrating for Hamilton. Had Mercedes kept Russel in place, and Hamilton restarted better, it wasn't nailed on that MV would have past both. Maybe Hamilton could have got his tyers warmed up in time. Very hard track to pass on, you need at least 1.5 seconds advantage per lap to overtake. MV probably would have done it, but not certain.

Frustrating for Hamilton. Had Mercedes kept Russel in place, and Hamilton restarted better, it wasn't nailed on that MV would have past both. Maybe Hamilton could have got his tyers warmed up in time. Very hard track to pass on, you need at least 1.5 seconds advantage per lap to overtake. MV probably would have done it, but not certain.
Don't think Mercedes had the pace to win it, no matter what they did. They had a slight advantage on the medium tires, but others were significantly faster on softs.

Don't think Mercedes had the pace to win it, no matter what they did. They had a slight advantage on the medium tires, but others were significantly faster on softs.

Thing is, on that track, you not only need to be quicker, you need to be significantly quicker. 1.5 seconds faster a lap is massive. DRS doesn't come on right away after the restart, and if the medium tire is up to temperature, it isn't that much off the pace of the soft. We will never know for sure. Yes the odds were MV would have done it. But it's not a certainty. If Mercedes used their boost and Russel well, by the time DRS came in, the race only had a few laps left. No one can say for sure either way.

...so as is often the case, the safety cars decided the race.

They really need to fix the time gaps between cars, allow them to stop, then restart them with those same time gaps.

...so as is often the case, the safety cars decided the race.

They really need to fix the time gaps between cars, allow them to stop, then restart them with those same time gaps.
The drivers are already perfectly capable of keeping precise gaps at the end of sectors - look at what Russel did a few weeks ago.

All they need to do is to say that they have to hit the finish line at precisely the time set and that line is where the race restarts.

It's a simple change - the technology is already being used for the VSC.

Thing is, on that track, you not only need to be quicker, you need to be significantly quicker. 1.5 seconds faster a lap is massive. DRS doesn't come on right away after the restart, and if the medium tire is up to temperature, it isn't that much off the pace of the soft. We will never know for sure. Yes the odds were MV would have done it. But it's not a certainty. If Mercedes used their boost and Russel well, by the time DRS came in, the race only had a few laps left. No one can say for sure either way.
1.5 secs was claimed by the commentators but that was last year before the DRS zone was made more effective. This year there were overtakes from far more evenly matched cars.

1.5 secs was the difference between Verstappen's pole time and not getting out of Q1 - there's no way the overtakes were on that differential.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with races finishing behind the safety car.
I do. They should apply the same rule as in Nascar. If there is a safety car with 5 or less laps to go, the race will have "extra time", with 2 laps of racing after safety car pits. Since there is no refueling in F1, teams would either have to run additional fuel, or gamble that there won't be a safety car late in the race.

Back