• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

**** Tottenham Hotspur v SCBC ****

So we are starting the season with the same team we ended it with then?
Starting with a team that was third in the form table last season under Conte, is hardly something to be upset about....
First of all, good to see an early match thread posted...

I agree with the starting 11 but as Bissouma has a slight injury Hojberg and Bentancur to start..

A slight aside, our first five games are Southampton home, Chelscum away, Wolves H, West ham A and Forest A... Last season we got 1 point and scored just 2 goals in those 5 games (replacing Brentford with forest as the play off winning club)..

So, we need a huge improvement from last season and by the end of August we should know quite a lot about the team's ability and mentality...

Anyway, COYS...
That is an awful points return from those five fixtures, but.....I dont see the point in making a comparison like that. Because its as much about the timing of fixtures and how the squad are in shape as the individual teams you are playing. Just cherry picking the first five games and how we did in those fixtures in isolation last season vs how many points we get against them this season wont tell you much.

Because no matter how difficult our first five fixtures are, even if we had the five most difficult fixtures we could have on paper - we would get more than one point in those five games. (Yes I know we had the 2points from 8 games debacle:D). We just didnt have the squad for consistency throughout the season, so we was always going to drop points at times as we dont have the quality to maintain in the same way City/Liverpool do. So when we score far more than 1 point in our opening 5 games this season, that isnt going to tell us much as the likelihood is we will drop points in other games that we scored more points in last season. Its about if we can maintain better consistency throughout the season as a measure of if we have improved rather than scoring a few more points against Southampton and West Ham....

Starting with a team that was third in the form table last season under Conte, is hardly something to be upset about....

That is an awful points return from those five fixtures, but.....I dont see the point in making a comparison like that. Because its as much about the timing of fixtures and how the squad are in shape as the individual teams you are playing. Just cherry picking the first five games and how we did in those fixtures in isolation last season vs how many points we get against them this season wont tell you much.

Because no matter how difficult our first five fixtures are, even if we had the five most difficult fixtures we could have on paper - we would get more than one point in those five games. (Yes I know we had the 2points from 8 games debacle:D). We just didnt have the squad for consistency throughout the season, so we was always going to drop points at times as we dont have the quality to maintain in the same way City/Liverpool do. So when we score far more than 1 point in our opening 5 games this season, that isnt going to tell us much as the likelihood is we will drop points in other games that we scored more points in last season. Its about if we can maintain better consistency throughout the season as a measure of if we have improved rather than scoring a few more points against Southampton and West Ham....
It’s a great point on the like for likes though isn’t it…. scary too
But as I highlighted when you look at our team in this game last season, I think we will start Saturday with 6 different players which shows how things have changed

Agree with most of that.

I think adding a corresponding fixtures comparison to the ongoing results adds another perspective when compared to results/the table. I think that can be useful, but it's a perspective with flaws like most perspectives to view things from.

In cases where we got a very low or very high points total a direct comparison to the current system should come with caveats like you do.

I understand people like to analyse games but you can never put too much weight on them, sure look for errors and patterns, but every game is a new challenge and situations are rarely duplicated. Never appreciate the "must win" comments about games as surely to a professional every game is a must win and not lose in any competition.

Must win!

First game of season at home against a middle ranking side.

Need to get off to a flyer and put a marker down for the rest of the season.

I understand people like to analyse games but you can never put too much weight on them, sure look for errors and patterns, but every game is a new challenge and situations are rarely duplicated. Never appreciate the "must win" comments about games as surely to a professional every game is a must win and not lose in any competition.
Soton is of interest to me as are a handful of others that have stubbornly defied Conte's strategies and our excellent strike force. Yes every game is different,however, Soton is just a mid table team, so we should be beating them as a sign of progress (one of many) . Given the investments in new talents and complete pre season for most, I'd think that Conte himself would consider this game a must win as evidence of progress.

If our manager or any of our players dont regard any of our games as "must win" they dont deserve a job at our club. It's a tired old cliche, I understand you cant win every game but it must be your intent, playing for a draw is accepting defeat. In reality there are games you are likely to lose or draw but you should never start with that in mind, mental attitude is what makes winners. I never expect us to win any game, but have differing levels of confidence based on form and opponents. This is a game I have a high level of confidence based on what I believe is our team having better players than Southampton, not to win would be a disappointment.
Enough of my ramblings, what games qualify as not "must win" ?

Soton is of interest to me as are a handful of others that have stubbornly defied Conte's strategies and our excellent strike force. Yes every game is different,however, Soton is just a mid table team, so we should be beating them as a sign of progress (one of many) . Given the investments in new talents and complete pre season for most, I'd think that Conte himself would consider this game a must win as evidence of progress.

Southampton are one of those clubs capable of really impressive performances even against the best teams, but equally capable of complete implosions.

Difficult to know which Southampton will show up. If they show up at their best we'll have a real challenge on our hands, they will cause us real problems. Problems we should be able to overcome if we're on our game of course, but it doesn't always go that way.

Hopefully we'll be on our game, up to the level we know we can be at. I think we're quite likely to be at that, or close to that.

We know we'll be pressed high up the pitch. One interesting choice is Sanchez (less confident on the ball) or Lenglet (could be a baptism of fire). We know Lenglet's confidence was hammered at Barca. Southampton closing us down and giving the CBs no space could go two ways: he could excel showing his guile or crumble.

Conte gets to see these players in training and will know who is best. Who is ready? Some players show that extra pomp on the big stage. That is the unknown for Conte too.

I should imagine Doherty will get the nod. But its pressure for him to show value and he's a bit of slow starter kinda guy. Conte will need to choose his two RWB and give them games. I think it will/should be Doherty and Spence.

I just hope the hype/hysteria that is going around some of our supporters ( about our transfer actions) is not felt by the players tomorrow. We have no right to win any game we have to show that we deserve to and i am sure Conte has impressed this on all the players. For those who are at the game tomorrow let us all show some patience IF the game does not go our way from the start.

I have already heard moans about how bad our game against Roma was and we need to get behind the team not go quite if it does not go well from the start.

I just hope the hype/hysteria that is going around some of our supporters ( about our transfer actions) is not felt by the players tomorrow. We have no right to win any game we have to show that we deserve to and i am sure Conte has impressed this on all the players. For those who are at the game tomorrow let us all show some patience IF the game does not go our way from the start.

I have already heard moans about how bad our game against Roma was and we need to get behind the team not go quite if it does not go well from the start.

Hey that's a great idea supporting the team, bit old fashioned thought.

Absolutely. If Southampton have enough players well enough drilled in their system available it could help them keep that pressing up for quite a bit longer than they could last season.
Yes, they will press us like hell and our automations may have to revert to yeeting it upfield.

if Sanchez and Emerson start, our passing game is hobbled.

I got NordVPN to safeguard my online life. I’m told I can now watch Norwegian or Italian TV at any time of day.

Does anyone here know a channel which doesn’t require a signup to just watch tv for a couple of hours on Saturday??

Back