• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

What do you mean? The courts do handle the cases, at County Court level. Volume is irrelevant - the higher the volume, the longer it takes to be heard. Volume doesn't reduce anyone's right to a case being heard.

i mean if there is some kind of popular boycott of paying for energy. Then the volume of cases will overwhelm the court system which as I understand is already stretched.

i mean if there is some kind of popular boycott of paying for energy. Then the volume of cases will overwhelm the court system which as I understand is already stretched.
Gotcha.
It would come down to the Government to change or pass new legislation.
The obvious parallel is Poll Tax, but the difference being this time it would be bill payer Vs private company instead of bill payer Vs the crown.
Politically that would be a very awkward position to be in. Especially for whomever will be PM in their first year.

Gotcha.
It would come down to the Government to change or pass new legislation.
The obvious parallel is Poll Tax, but the difference being this time it would be bill payer Vs private company instead of bill payer Vs the crown.
Politically that would be a very awkward position to be in. Especially for whomever will be PM in their first year.
It would probably require some kind of public bailout (which we are already getting in part), much like the banks received from defaulting/going under.

In reality it is a private company selling a product at market prices (actually below because of a government enforced price cap) that the public now don't like. Most costs in our lives are based around market prices, and we accept them, the difference here is elec/gas along with food are one of the unavoidable essentials, so you're on the hook for it regardless, and so is the government, as freezing and starvation is not a good look. I think they need to get ahead of the game for when autumn and winter arrives, and also think hard about energy security and the approach to energy saving AND production in the short to mid term.
I think, as a policy, it could be a vote winner (not that I care about that, doing the right thing is more important:)) as when an issue is in sharp focus, it resonates with people.

Too add, I also believe there needs to be some collective, Europe wide, thinking about this coming Winter. Many places could literally be caught cold.

It would probably require some kind of public bailout (which we are already getting in part), much like the banks received from defaulting/going under.

In reality it is a private company selling a product at market prices (actually below because of a government enforced price cap) that the public now don't like. Most costs in our lives are based around market prices, and we accept them, the difference here is elec/gas along with food are one of the unavoidable essentials, so you're on the hook for it regardless, and so is the government, as freezing and starvation is not a good look. I think they need to get ahead of the game for when autumn and winter arrives, and also think hard about energy security and the approach to energy saving AND production in the short to mid term.
I think, as a policy, it could be a vote winner (not that I care about that, doing the right thing is more important:)) as when an issue is in sharp focus, it resonates with people.

Too add, I also believe there needs to be some collective, Europe wide, thinking about this coming Winter. Many places could literally be caught cold.

It does have the potential to get really messy and needs some quality political leadership and inventiveness.
So we'll be better off if Sunak gets in - love or loathe him, he does have the ability to create quick fixes.
Not sure how a public bail out would work other than what we already have - giving people money. And that is a recipe for devaluation and inflation.
Perhaps doing something with the price cap to move in line with similar sized national economies?
Even something like a Euro centric (and let's be honest, even if that happens, we won't invited to the table or have any desire to dine) position seems difficult because of the different ways nations source and consume their energy and how they use it within their economies. (It's an easier calculation at domestic level - so maybe a domestic only initiative is a starting point?)

Winter could be very tough across Europe. And with war raging.......eeekkkkk

The economists thoughts that this inflationary spike being transitory looks well and truly a bad call.

As for the the 'continuing to hike interest rates to 3%' comment, that's barely comparable to the historical relationship between inflation/interest rates. We are currently running at -8% net interest rates.

Where they need to be is a lot lot higher BUT the world (countries, businesses, people) can't stomach that, mainly because their whole world is a pile of debt that needs to be serviced BUT only adds up if it's the cheap rates they've all grown up on.

The proverbial rock and hard place.

Curious language choice
Retread is a filter applied by this site. Perhaps my language was a bit strong, but to restate my message in politer terms I can’t think of any candidate less well suited for the role of pm in terms of values (she has none) achievements (reintroduction if beavers, wow big whoop) or intellectual capacity.

The amount of stupid policies she has dreamt up before even getting into power is ridiculous.

the focus in the media has been on her regional pay boards but even her statement that every student with a* grades will get an oxbridge interview is almost certainly impractical and not discussed with Oxford or Cambridge.

She comes out with absolute flimflam telling everyone what she thinks they want to hear but has no substance at all to back her statements up.

the idea of such a vacuous, insincere and self asbsorbed candidate being our leader in these times of crisis is shocking.

Rishi is insincere and self absorbed but at least he has a track record of (flawed) delivery vs truss who has been on cabinet much longer yet achieved sweet fa.

Last edited:
So we'll be better off if Sunak gets in - love or loathe him, he does have the ability to create quick fixes.

Rishi is insincere and self absorbed but at least he has a track record of (flawed) delivery

The Rishi myth needs revisiting. He had the easiest job during Covid. Turn on the printing press and dish out free money. ('what a guy).
The problem is the systems setup to deliver this help might as well of been a tipper truck from Travis Perkins.

The abuse of the furlough scheme and bounce back loans is staggering. Estimating £17bn could be lost to fraud.

The Rishi myth needs revisiting. He had the easiest job during Covid. Turn on the printing press and dish out free money. ('what a guy).
The problem is the systems setup to deliver this help might as well of been a tipper truck from Travis Perkins.

The abuse of the furlough scheme and bounce back loans is staggering. Estimating £17bn could be lost to fraud.
Agreed. But despite all that he’s still more competent than Liz truss.

she didn’t get the nickname “the human hand grenade” by accident. If Sergei labrov can run rings around her then you can only imagine how brick a prime minster she will be.

Holy brick liz truss truly is a mongoloid retread! Are we really going to end up with her as prime minister????
She's a fudging idiot, there's no doubt about that.

Her campaign policies (at least, those she didn't just blurt out off the cuff) are simply better than Sunak's and by a margin. Those pulling her strings know what they're doing - if they're still pulling her strings after she wins then it might not be so bad as if she were doing her own thinking.

It seems to me that the methods employed over last decade by the Tories of fudging over large swathes of the UK populace have resulted in the undeniable mess that exists now, so fudging them harder is hardly going to fix it. If Sunak gets in you are fudged and if Truss does you are proper fudged would be my read.

She's a fudging idiot, there's no doubt about that.

Her campaign policies (at least, those she didn't just blurt out off the cuff) are simply better than Sunak's and by a margin. Those pulling her strings know what they're doing - if they're still pulling her strings after she wins then it might not be so bad as if she were doing her own thinking.

Most of them are dumb populist policies that are tailored for the members, many of which are totally unworkable. Rishi is I guess a bit more central though also getting populist now he's losing in the polls.

Truss will get smashed at a general election, Sunak would certainly be an even match for Starmer.

Back